Peter Gabriel announces The MusicTiles app

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by genesisfan, Jan 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. genesisfan

genesisfan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Info taken from http://petergabriel.com/media/article/2828/introducing-the-musictiles-app/

On the 8th Jan 2013 a new app called MusicTiles will be available from the Apple App store. MusicTiles will allow everybody to create Peter Gabriel music, transforming music fans from passive listeners to active performers.
    The MusicTiles app allows everybody - novices, musicians, and expert composers - to remix songs in a playful manner using virtual modular tiles. In a 25-years celebration of the iconic So album, Peter granted RoboProfessor Henrik Hautop Lund unparalleled access to his multi-tracks and stems to create a So 2.0 experience that allows fans to create MusicTiles mixes.

[​IMG]
    The MusicTiles app ships with Red Rain (original remix), Red Rain (industrial) and Big Time (electronica) mixes and offers 'In-App Purchase' access to the entire So album in MusicTiles format - including Sledgehammer, In Your Eyes and Don't Give Up. MusicTiles also offers access to three new versions of each song from So in different styles (e.g. original, electronica & industrial) for users to play with and develop according to their own individual taste. By simple constructions with modular tiles on the iPhone or iPad, you can create new versions of the songs dependent on where and when the modular tiles are put together.
    "I have always loved the idea that music and art should be fully open media from which no-one is excluded. They are languages that anyone can learn to speak and definitely not the exclusive province of the high priests armed with 'Talent '." Peter

2. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

I think PG must have made some bad investments in the stock market in the last years... or perhaps going around with an orchestra became more expensive than planned.
    I can't explain the long list of pathetic attempts to squeeze every penny out of So in any other way.

Gorgon likes this.
  3. GowG

GowG Forum Resident

Useless

4. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

MusicTiles will allow everybody to create Peter Gabriel music, transforming music fans from passive listeners to active performers.The MusicTiles app allows everybody - novices, musicians, and expert composers - to remix songs in a playful manner using virtual modular tiles.

gee how about an expert composer writing some new material for a change?

it's been 10 years since UP

5. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

When is Peter Gabriel actually going to produce some new material? He has spent the last ten years doing nothing more than trying every conceivable way to recycle old material. I'm tired of remixes, orchestral remixes, cover versions, over-blown reissues and iphone apps.

Think about it another way. If he had even written one new song a year (ONE NEW SONG), he'd have enough material for a new album by now.

Huge talent that has gone to waste.

One Louder likes this.
  6. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

If this allows us to make our own Peter Gabriel music...how can I enable the Writer's Block feature, because it seems to be it would be pretty embarrassing if any one of us could come up with a Peter Gabriel album faster than he could.

(Also, does this mean I could make different mixes - and reduction mixes - of So tracks? Because if I can use it to create my own 5.1 mixes, that would fix that glaring omission from the 25th Anniversary Edition! :idea: )

Now playing on http://www.arielstream.com/]Ariel Stream[/URL]: Carmen Rizzo w/Jem - Ecouter

7. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Didn't Bjork have something like this for her last album? And didn't Bowie do something with mixable tracks like..10 years ago?
    Actually this looks kinda cool to me. If I had an iPad I'd probably try it out. Probably not as much fun on the iPhone.

8. rbichamp

rbichamp Senior Member

Has anyone tried this? Are the multitracks lossy?

9. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

It's a iPhone app! How much data do you expect to download? Lossless multitracks even at 44.1/16 would be a bit too large don't you think?

By the way I find that this sentence
    "I have always loved the idea that music and art should be fully open media from which no-one is excluded. They are languages that anyone can learn to speak and definitely not the exclusive province of the high priests armed with 'Talent '."
    is almost offensive when you talk about a silly app that must be purchased on a device that costs hundreds of dollars. "No-one is excluded"??? What a way to **** over all your humanitarian efforts Peter!

10. bholz

bholz Forum Resident

Of course, not available in the US iTunes Store.

11. gabbleratchet7

gabbleratchet7 Forum Resident

Available in the Canadian App Store. Granted, it is a bit of a novelty, but at least it got my kids interested in some music that isn't currently on top-40 radio.

12. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Are the "stems" kicking around the net yet?

randolphr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.