LOST Three Stooges short "Hello Pop" FOUND!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Benno123, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Over at threestooges.net on the message board it is being reported that the lost 1933 MGM short "Hello Pop" starring Ted Healy and His Stooges (Moe, Larry, Curly) has been FOUND. Here is a link for what information has been shared so far ....

http://moronika.com/index.php?topic=4943.msg40705#new

JamieC and cloggedmind like this.
  2. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

That makes for a satisfying release from Warner. All of the Ted Healy/Stooges shorts in the original color if possible. 428135_10151362634289321_270178734_n.jpg

3. cloggedmind

cloggedmind Doctor Do-Very-Little

A long-awaited day for many a Stooge fan, like myself! Wonderful news, indeed!!

4. Benno123

All we need is to find the lost MGM short "Jailbirds of Paradise" that features Moe and Curly (without Larry or Ted Healy) and we will be set ... unless some of the "missing" footage for "Plane Nuts" would ever appear!

5. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Fantastic news! Keep them coming.

6. MusicIsLove

MusicIsLove formerly CSNY~MusicIsLove

Yes! I was hoping this would be found someday!

7. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

While I will wait and see, far too many hoaxers out there. If this has in fact been found it's actually a really big deal, to my knowledge this will be the first film that was lost in the MGM vault fire that has turned up anywhere.

There are also other issues, not the least of which is 80 year old nitrate.

8. MusicIsLove

MusicIsLove formerly CSNY~MusicIsLove

If this is true, then there's hope for other films lost in the MGM vault fire.

9. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

See that's the problem though, now every loon in the world is going to start thinking LAM will be found any day now.

10. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Wow, I've wanted to see London After Midnight for at least 40 years! It's amazing that even a 16mm safety print never showed up.

13. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

MGM was very good at getting back and destroying prints.

14. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I saw this thread right after the FRIDAYS one.

Again, WHAT?!?!?

Awesome news. And sure looks legit. I have been waiting for WB to release the M-G-M Stooge shorts together as a set -- most have come out one way or another on various "public domain" compilations (though I guess it turns out the M-G-M Stooge shorts are actually still under copyright) and three of them have been released as extras ("Beer And Pretzels" on Flying Down To Rio, "Plane Nuts" and Curly's "Roast-Beef And Movies" on Dancing Lady, which also features Healy and the Stooges). Now I don't mind waiting -- it would be great if they ultimately release a set with all the shorts. (Though "Jail-Birds Of Paradise" with Moe and Curly is still missing.)

What the heck, I want to see them in a theatre too.

15. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

What I want to know is, what happened to this footage: the M-G-M short Plane Nuts had a working title of Around The World Backwards, and apparently had a completely different concept originally. All the M-G-M Stooge shorts were filmed as wraparounds for reused outtake scenes from M-G-M musicals (some choreographed by Busby Berkeley). The reason some were filmed in two-strip Technicolor was to match the older footage being inserted into them. Anyway, there was an aviation-themed short filmed, then scrapped (stills appear in a few different books), and then it looks like they just had the Stooges, Ted Healy and Marion "Bonny" Bonnell walk out on a stage and do their vaudeville act, which had nothing to do with flying (although the final musical number, "Happy Landings," is about airplanes). Actually, it's kind of cool in a way that this happened because it means we have Ted Healy and his Stooges' vaudeville act preserved on film (they also do some of the same routines in Soup To Nuts). In his autobiography Stroke Of Luck, Larry Fine remembered that one of their M-G-M shorts was "so bad they burned it up without releasing it."

Yet in the book The Three Stooges Scrapbook (I was reminded of this because I quoted some text from the book in another thread) there is a picture of what looks like a few sequential frames from the film. I wonder who had them and where they came from -- and if there is anything else...

Attached Files:

16. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

If they didn't use the footage it was trashed. Particularly back in the nitrate days, your not going to keep mountains of what they considered to be worthless highly volatile scraps around.

I know we talk about how dangerous nitrate is all the time but until you see it you have no real conception of how deadly this stuff is. Cans basically explode into giant swirling tornadoes of flame as the fire works it's way through the reel. Imagine this happening in a room with thousands of these cans. You have the added hazard that once they ignite they create their own oxygen so they are hard if not damn near impossible to extinguish. Any scraps of this stuff was quickly disposed of.

17. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

18. Benno123

19. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

A recent Warner Archive Podcast mentioned the discovery of HELLO POP, and that they'd been waiting to release a set of MGM Stooge shorts until the lost films could be recovered and restored. They mentioned that a set was in the works, which makes me wonder if indeed JAILBIRDS OF PARADISE is also part of the stash of the collector who provided his print of HELLO POP.

20. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

"a projectionist would . . . " Wow. Projectionists face film fires every day!!! This guy is spending waaay too much time burning stuff in his downmarket driveway.

21. FredV

FredV Senior Member

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'll buy it! heck I bought the complete box set just for the bonus DVD...now I have 2 copies of each DVD release...considering the complete box was only $35.00 I had to buy it!

23. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

Has this been shown yet? Any reviews online? The official Stooges website still has the short as "lost". So they are way behind.

24. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Random question.... I remember seeing in some old book in my junior high's library that there was a short claiming to star 'The Three Stooges', and it was a total fake-out; three other guys, none of which were the REAL Stooges.

Anyone know about this one?

25. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

The boys walked out on Healy in a sort of strike over pay, and he replaced them with three fake stooges. They in turn were dumped when the Stooges returned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.