VPI Traveler owners tell us what you think.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jim T, Jan 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident Thread Starter

Tell us your impressions and what cart you have chosen.

2. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

There was a big burst of Scout buyers when that model debuted, but I haven't seen a similar one of Traveler buyers. Though VPI seem to be making and shipping many of them.

3. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I cannot speak as an owner but simply as a Scoutmaster owner and VPI fan. The Traveler really sounded good at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest and there was some consensus on this from several reviewers I spoke with.

Jim, there is a red model on demo at Audio Alternative (on Indian Trail Road) on a Rega system in case you want to listen in person. The tonearm is gorgeous as is the sound.

4. Jim T

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to take a ride up there this new year.

LeeS likes this.
  5. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Not sure if you want a dealer's impression or not, but:

I am highly impressed with the table. Amazing build quality for it's price point. Heavier and a bit more substantial then what the pictures portray. Setup is straight forward and fairly easy to do. VPI seems to be selling these very well (posted a few pics on facebook a few weeks back with a wall full of them to be shipped out!).

I currently have my demo Traveler setup with a Grado Sonata1 and think that it's a very nice combo. Also like it with a 2mBlack. I have a Soundsmith Carmen on order and will be trying that also once it arrives.

motorcitydave and LeeS like this.
  6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Well-Known Member

I spent a day with a friend's VPI traveler with a Lyra Kleos, and that combo was pretty freaking sweet!

motorcitydave likes this.
  7. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

I also saw the red Traveler at Audio Alternative and it looks amazing. Very (apparent) high build quality and fit/finish. Tonearm looks great. Didn't hear it, however!

8. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Go back and listen. :) It sounds very good!

9. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Cool. The cart costs twice the table. :)

10. Jim T

That is an interesting issue as to how much cart ($$$) do you put on a table and should there be any ratio between the cost of the table and the cost of the cart?

ben_wood likes this.
  11. Jim T

Any hum issues with the Grado on that table? I know that some tables and Grados don't get along so well because of motor placement.

12. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I think if the table is good, there is no real limit except budget on cart purchases. It is a bit unusual though.

13. Jim T

--------------------------------------------
    I hate putting you on the spot, but in terms of platter/bearing quietness, would you choose the Traveler over the Rega P6 in that regard? I've owned a P3 in the past and liked that table quite a bit.

14. Jim T

----------------------------------------------
    Probably more critical, but not much different that spending over $1k on interconnects I would think.

15. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Jim,

I've played 2 Grado carts on my demo Traveler (Sonata1 and Gold1) and have not experienced any hum.

It would be a tough call on the RP6 versus the Traveler. I think both are exceptional tables at their price points, with very nice build quality. I've not heard any platter or bearing noise from either.

Hope that helps some....

Taylor

16. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Carts that drive deeper are not happy on tables that interact with the room. I had to pull back on a DV20X I had on my P3-24. The bass was bloated and overwhelming. That didn't clean up 'till I got a LP12.

17. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Interesting. Was the tonearm or plinth interacting with your room?

18. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Who knows? Plinth is likely. The innertube trick helped for awhile, getting it wall mounted even better.

I have needledrops somewhere of the entire experience. Huge differences with various isolation and placement tactics.

19. Romerovm

Romerovm Forum Resident

It sure is a beautiful table. I am very glad that it is made in the USA. I might upgrade to one in a year or so to match my RCM 16.5. :)

PS-I own a Rega RP1 at this time.

ben_wood likes this.
  20. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

I think for the money there's little if anything that comes close.

21. ben_wood

ben_wood A traveler of both time and space

I've wondered how the Traveler compares to the Clearaudio Concept.

22. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

I found the bass overwhelming with my P3-24 / 20X2L setup.... for the first 20 hours. then there was a rapid change. I believe the break in time is significant with this cart. I think you definitely over state table interaction though; with a carpeted floor and solid house foundation there is little interaction that I've ever heard, if by interaction you mean moving things influence/change the sound. perhaps you just mean resonance with the surroundings?

the VPI's sure look fancy, if aesthetics are your thing. I'm sure the Traveller sounds great.

23. anodyne

anodyne Forum Resident

Same here.

24. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Fair point - not sure i gave it 20 hours on the P3. Or maybe you just got used to it. That said, at the time I took zero steps towards isolating the Rega. I know better now.

Disagree on VPI being an aesthetic thing. My Classic is blowing me away and I'm pretty neutral on its looks.

25. What's with that cheapo logo plate glued on? I'm probably superficial here but that's a deal breaker for me. I'm leaning clear audio. Call me shallow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.