OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part2)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MilesSmiles, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

2. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I think this is the first time I've seen a thread dedicated to 1 (ok, 2) product reach 1000 posts.

3. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

I think the 93 & 95 had a pretty good run too, in fact the 95 made it to 550 posts in thread 2.

4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Let's start this thread off with a professional review from Kris Deering at Secrets of Home Theater: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/blu-...yers-reviews/oppo-bdp-103-blu-ray-player.html

Kris has been reviewing players for 12+ years, and is one of the best in the biz.

I think this quote from the Conclusions sections of the review sums up what many have found here:

Russell Weston and Shawn like this.
  5. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Anyone would be better than Steve Guttenberg - his review was pathetic.

6. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Thanks Sam, but still no luck. It is not just the MacMini, but also my laptop (Windows 7). Both ask for a username (not computername) and password. I know that I am using a valid username and password. Pretty frustrating to keep entering it on the click and selct keyboard eacj and every time!
    One option also is the Logitech Media Server (which is loaded on the macmini). When I select that I am able to drill all the way down to artists (in the iTunes database) and when that is selected it just reverts back up to the LMS directory.

7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Sam,

I just opened the link and it shows that Chris Heinonen does the review.

Bill

8. mongo

mongo Senior Member

9. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Yes, apologies. I meant to link the HT review, but I inadvertently started reading the Secrets review and got them mixed up! Sorry about that.

10. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Strange, but not totally unexpected. I have had minimal success with a consistent streaming experience using Blu-ray players to access network-attached music files. I wish I could give you some tips, but I often get just as confounded. And it sometimes changes with firmware! And some of the problem(s) has to do with your router/switch and other security on the LAN. At least it does at my house.

11. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Thanks Sam. I have similar problems when I try to connect through the Panasonic Plasma Network as well.

12. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Sam,

No problem I understand and appreciate the link to the 103 review :).

Bill

13. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Sam, were you ever able to find out if the 103/105 decodes DTS 24bit/96khz correctly or does it just decode it at 16bit/48khz?

14. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I asked, but don't recall receiving a response. Is there anyway I can help you test this?

15. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Can you think of any DTS 24/96 titles that one could use to test the 103/105 with? I'll have to check but I think the Morph the Cat MVI (Nightfly Trilogy box set) has a DTS 24/96 audio track. If it does I'll try it on my 103 and post back with the results.

I just checked and the Morph the Cat MVI is in 24/96 and is playing fine. It shows DTS 96/24 on the display of my Denon 4311. When I hit the Info button the display shows 4.4Mbps and 2/3 DTS 5.1 96k. Hope this answers your question :).

Bill

16. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

The following is from a download of the most recent 103 manual.

Due to bandwidth limitations, high resolution audio formats such as Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby
    TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution and DTS-HD Master Audio cannot be sent through the
    coaxial or optical digital audio output. A reduced resolution version of the same audio track
    will be output instead. To listen to high resolution audio formats in their best quality, please
    use the HDMI connection if you have a receiver that handles HDMI audio (see page 11) or
    use the multi-channel analog outputs if you do not (see page 16).

Due to copyright restrictions, SACD audio cannot be sent through the coaxial or optical
    digital audio output. To listen to SACDs, please use the HDMI or analog audio connections.

Due to copyright restrictions and bandwidth limitations, full resolution audio from DVD-Audio
    discs cannot be sent through the coaxial or optical digital audio output. To listen to DVDAudio
    in full resolution, please use the HDMI or analog audio connections.

HDMI Audio: Allows you to select the digital audio output format from the HDMI port. The
    options are:
    Auto (default) – The player checks with the device connecting to the HDMI output to
    automatically determine which audio format to use.
    LPCM – Digital audio output via HDMI will be in the multi-channel Linear PCM format. When
    this option is selected, compressed audio bit streams will be decoded by the player. This
    setting is recommended when connecting the HDMI output directly to a TV or to a receiver
    without advanced audio decoding capabilities.
    Bitstream – Digital audio output via HDMI will be in bitstream format. This option is
    recommended when connecting the HDMI output to an A/V receiver or processor that
    supports advanced audio decoding, such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.
    Off – No digital audio output via HDMI.

NOTE
    If you use HDMI to connect audio to an HDMI A/V receiver or audio processor, it is important
    that you choose 720p or higher HDMI output resolution when playing high resolution audio
    content (DVD-Audio, SACD, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio). According to the HDMI
    specification, the bandwidth available for audio is proportional to the total bandwidth used by
    video. At 480p/576p resolution, the HDMI specification can only support 2 channels of audio
    with high sample rate (up to 192kHz), or 8 channels of audio with standard sample rate (up to
    48kHz). If you play high resolution audio content at the 480p/576p resolution, you may get
    reduced audio resolution, incomplete audio channels, or even no audio/video output at all.
    Choosing a higher output resolution such as 720p or above allows enough bandwidth for all
    high sample rate audio channels.

Coaxial/Optical Output: Allows you to set the audio format and the upper sample rate limit for
    coaxial/optical (S/PDIF) digital outputs. The upper sample rate limit is used to decide whether the
    player will down-sample audio (the player does not up-sample audio to higher sample rates).
    48k LPCM – Forces down-mixed 2-channel, linear PCM (LPCM) digital audio format, and sets
    the maximum sample rate to 48kHz. This is supported by most receivers/amplifiers.
    96k LPCM – Forces down-mixed 2-channel, linear PCM (LPCM) digital audio format and sets
    the maximum sample rate to 96kHz. It can result in better audio quality but ensure the
    receiver/amplifier can support it.
    192k LPCM – Forces down-mixed 2-channel, linear PCM (LPCM) digital audio format and sets
    the maximum sample rate to 192kHz. It can result in better audio quality but ensure the
    receiver/amplifier can support it.
    Bitstream – Passes audio as compressed bitstream format to the receiver/amplifier. Choose
    this setting if your receiver/amplifier is capable of decoding Dolby Digital and/or DTS.

amenda8998 likes this.
  17. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Nice work Bill.

EDIT: technically I think the real question is if the player internally decodes to 24/96 resolution, not just pass along the 24/96 bit stream. This may not be able to be measured without special equipment on the analog audio outputs.

18. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

There is nothing in the published information from Oppo which indicates the players decode at less than the bitrate on the disc except in limited situations based on a particular video resolution or choice of output. Am I missing something or is there something which leads one to believe otherwise?

19. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

The issue was that virtually all Blu-ray players use what's called a "core" DTS decoder. They can pass full-bandwidth DTS HD MA to a compatible receiver, but onboard decoding of DTS 24/96, etc., would only be a at "core" 1.5Mbs (aka lossy) resolution.

20. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

21. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Sam,

I can try the DF MVI using the 5.1 analog output to the 4311. Is there any indication when the Info button is used indicating the resolution that the 103 is outputting? I'll try it when I get a chance later today.

Bill

22. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Sam,

Looking back at tlake6659's post he asks if the 103/105 can decode DTS 24/96. Clearly my system was bitstreaming the signal via HDMI with the 4311 doing the decoding. Thanks for pointing that out :).

Bill

amenda8998 likes this.
  23. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

From the Oppo website about the 105:
    • Dolby® TrueHD - Dolby TrueHD delivers lossless studio master quality audio designed specifically for high definition entertainment. The BDP-105 supports bit-stream output of Dolby TrueHD via its HDMI 1.4a output. It can also internally decode Dolby TrueHD into LPCM and output via HDMI or the 7.1ch analog audio output terminals. Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus audio formats are also supported.
    • DTS-HD Master Audio™ - DTS-HD Master Audio delivers an auditory experience that matches the lifelike images of high-definition video with up to 7.1 channels that are bit-for-bit identical to the studio master. The BDP-105 supports bit-stream output of DTS-HD Master Audio. It can also internally decode DTS-HD Master Audio and output via HDMI or the 7.1ch analog audio output terminals. (DTS-HD High Resolution Audio and DTS Digital Surround are also supported.)
    Once again, I assume the audio is decoded to a high-res format as there is nothing to indicate otherwise, especially when you consider the 103/105 both have analog 7.1 connections. But maybe I am completely wrong and Oppo is trying to hide something from the consumer.

24. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Sam,

I'm listening to the DF MVI using the 5.1 analog output of the 103 to the 4311. When using the Info button the information is the same on my display as it was when bitstreaming with HDMI. The display on the 4311 is showing EXT In when using the 5.1 analog output. I might be wrong but is my display getting the 4.4 Mbps and 2/3 DTS 5.1 96 indication from the HDMI output of the 103? In other words the HDMI output is still active and showing that information as if it was the default audio output.

Bill

amenda8998 likes this.
  25. IndyTodd

IndyTodd Senior Member

Does anyone out there have the 103 and Taxi Driver on Blu Ray? I tried playing Taxi Driver for the first time last night and it struggled to load the disc initially before eventually loading it. I was able to play the film but was not able to access the special features after watching the movie. When I click on any of the options within "special features" it just locks up and nothing happens. You have to hit stop or turn off the machine to reload the disc. I've tried turning off BD Live and uplugging for about 30 seconds with no luck. I sent Oppo an email today and they said that nobody else has reported a problem. They are suggesting I erase persistent storage which I will do tonight when I get home from work. I was just curious if anyone that owns the 103 and the Taxi Driver Blu Ray is able to test to see if they have the same issue. I've seen some other people online with different BD players report having the same issue so I don't think I just have a defective disc. However, most people seem to be able to access each of the special features with no issues.

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.