Budget Phono Preamp Recommedations?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jordanb87, Feb 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jordanb87

jordanb87 Forum Resident Thread Starter

You wake up one morning with $500 magically implanted into your normally thin wallet. You want to buy a phono preamp (preferably one that can accommodate both MC and MM cartridges) for your Rega P3-24 turntable, as you have been relying on the integrated phono preamp in your receiver. What do you buy?

Go!

2. woody

woody Forum Resident

I had a grado I liked at that price. Installed it in my brother's system when he had been using the receiver pre until then. It was like a night and day change. It's one to keep in mind.

3. dhoffa85

dhoffa85 Well-Known Member

I like the Jolida but then again that's the only one I have, it is so versatile, and has tons of gain. I heard the Musical Fidelity one and it was pretty good. Rega and Grado are also probably good as well as many others.

4. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

Used okay? If so, a PS Audio GCPH.

5. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

something used so my budget nearly doubles over new.....something that can change the loading via dip switches or the like so I don't have to open it up to adjust or switch carts.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  6. robertash

robertash Forum Resident

Hagerman Bugle.

sushimaster and jupiterboy like this.
  7. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Are you serious about saving money?

ART DJ PRE II. <---clicky for a thread on it.

8. dhoffa85

that art looks cool can you adjust the impedence at all I couldn't tell from the thread? it does have a control for gain which is awesome.

9. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

riknbkr330 likes this.
  10. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

You can adjust the capacitance. Here are the specs.

If you go to the Post Your Needledrops thread in this subforum, you can find a couple of samples I ripped with it which I posted this evening.

11. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

Check out the Pro-Ject Phono Box S. It's the only phono pre in your budget that I know of that has flexible capacitance loading for moving magnet cartridges. This is ESSENTIAL. Moving magnets are extremely sensitive to capacitive loading (it affects the treble response) and every one needs some flexibility. If you're going to only use moving coil cartridges, capacitance loading is inconsequential. Just find the quietest preamp for MC.

12. dhoffa85

Neat thanks. I might pick one up.

13. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Agreed. I had one for awhile and it's a great deal on the used market. Versatile enough to work with any cartridge, plus it has a mono switch and a phase switch. Built like a tank too.

14. ElizabethH

ElizabethH Forum Resident

15. BlackPearl

BlackPearl Forum Resident

What cartridge are you using?

16. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Clearaudio Nano is quite nice.

17. roscoeiii

roscoeiii Forum Resident

Used you could also get a used Dynavetor P75. Quite nice in that price range. You aren't paying for the casework on this one. And for LOMC carts, there is Phono Enhancer mode (particularly good with low impedance carts).

jupiterboy likes this.
  18. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

19. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I'd look for a PS Audio GCPH used at that price. Very good phono preamp, can drive a power amp directly even, very flexible and you can use MC or MM.

Or. . . save up and buy the Decware ZP3. I replaced my GCPH with one of these and I'm in awe.

Synthfreek likes this.
  20. jordanb87

Used is absolutely alright.

I am currently using a Denon DL-110 (MC) cartridge. It's only 2 months old, but eventually, when it's time to replace it, I would like to upgrade. I suppose I could commit myself to MC cartridges if I had to choose, though keeping the option of MC or MM open would be my first choice.

Thanks, all, for the suggestions. My local dealer carries NAD, Rega, and Graham Slee. While buying there is my first preference, online is okay too.

21. G E

G E Senior Member

+1 hagerman bugle

22. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I have been very happy with my Slee...

23. weirdo12

weirdo12 Forum Resident

If you want something that will make it super easy to rip vinyl and act a a phono preamp and a DAC and a head phone amp, check out the Furutech ADL GT40.

24. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

This! After all I've read I'm seriously considering one.

25. jordanb87

Thanks for the suggestions, though I'm not interested in ripping vinyl, and I don't listen through headphones. Just looking for a simple, reliable, well-made, well-performing phono preamp. Thanks for all the suggestions thus far everyone!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.