Rolling Stones 1999 Virgin LP Replica CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Futurecity, Feb 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident Thread Starter

I recently picked up the STICKY FINGERS 1999 Virgin LP replica CD, and have a question because I don't own any of the 1994 Virgin CDs. The disc itself has a yellow front label and at the bottom it says "1971 and 1994 Virgin, etc"...

Question - is this the actual disc that comes in the 1999 Virgin LP/CD replica package, or should the disc say "1999" at the bottom? I just want to make sure that my copy came with the right disc?

2. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

IIRC, the discs in the LP replica series all were yellow, the initial 1994 releases were silver, so I assume everything is OK. Virgin got the copyright of the post SF albums in 1994, that's why the year appears on that later edition.

3. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

this is the packaging of the limited edition 1994 Virgin mini LP-replica on cd:
    [​IMG]

danielbravo likes this.
  4. Futurecity

Thanks for the note! OK, good, I guess the discs in the LP replica series are all yellow then.

5. Futurecity

Thanks for the scans! Did you mean the "1999" Virgin mini LP-replica CD? Your disc looks nearly identical to mine, except in the lower right hand corner, where the little compact disc logo is...it seems your disc has two words next to it? What does it say? Mine just has the CD logo, nothing else near it.

Also, my disc might have some more writing at the very bottom? Mine says "SEE ARTWORK FOR DETAILS 1971 AND 1994 VIRGIN BENELUX B.V. 1971 PROMOTONE B.V."...does your disc say the exact same thing?

Anyway, does the catalog number printed on top of the disc say 7243-8-47863-2-8? This is the number on mine.

6. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

It is not my personal copy, but I only know of 1994 Virgin mini-LP replica reissues.

Hamhead, intv7 and rstamberg like this.
  7. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I also remember these coming out in 1994. My standard jewel case copy of Sticky Fingers, purchased in 1994 was also a yellow CD. The silver ones came later.

danielbravo likes this.
  8. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

For Sticky Fingers, at least, the original 1994 disk was yellow, not silver

rstamberg likes this.
  9. Futurecity

I was specifically referring to the Virgin mini LP replica CD, and on every site I visit, they list the release date as October 5, 1999, like this one...

http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the_rolling_stones/sticky_fingers_f4/

Also, I believe the Japanese mini LP replica CDs were also released in 1999. Apparently, the yellow disc which is included in the '99 package still says "1994", so I guess the 1999 edition just uses the original '94 discs.

10. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I believe the date of release given is incorrect.

11. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

They came out in late 1994 or early 1995 at the latest. I can pin the date down because I saw them on sale when I lived in LA, and I lived there from Dec 1993 to Feb 1995.

12. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I have this disc and it is a huge improvment over the CBS silver faced issue....in fact, I consider this so good that in the digital rhelm I feel no need to replace it. I have the mfsl lp which is bass heavy but I still like it, the original, the 8-track, the 7.5ips reel...so I'm kinda covered for this title:)

13. nowhere-man-in-e

nowhere-man-in-e Senior Member

Mine is like the one in the scan. It says "BIEM/MCPS" after the Compact Disc logo. The catalog number is 7243-8-39504-2-3. Along the perimeter it says "SEE ARTWORK FOR DETAILS. (P) 1971 VIRGIN BENELUX B.V." The matrix information is "39504-2" and "MASTERED BY NIMBUS".

14. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

I actually thought the same BEFORE I listened to the SHM-SACD. It is so MUCH better.

15. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

The Virgin mini-LP sleeve replica CDs in the unique plastic cases were all released during the summer of 1994.

mdm08033 and tkl7 like this.
  16. This is correct. I was in the States for 4 months in 1994, mid-May through mid-September, and they were released during that time-frame.

tkl7 likes this.
  17. Futurecity

Interesting. I'll take everyone's word for it, but there are a lot of sites listing it as 1999 though, and didn't the Japanese LP replica CD versions come out in 1999? So, Virgin not only released their initial 1994 "Collector's Editon" CDs (in jewel cases), but also released them in mini LP replica CD editions, soon after, in the same year?

18. Futurecity

Interesting, my disc is obviously a little different...slightly different cat. #, some different wording, etc. Can anyone here explain why? I had bought my STICKY FINGERS mini LP replica CD used, and just want to make sure that my disc is the correct one...that no one might have switched the discs on me? I can understand the Japanese version having different info printed on their disc (and it does), but shouldn't all of the domestic Virgin mini LP/CDs have the same discs (came cat #, everything identical)?

19. Futurecity

Are we still talking about the STICKY FINGERS mini LP replica CD? If so, I can definitely concur! I just listened to my copy and it's beautifully remastered...almost has a "restored" quality to it. Maybe "Bitch" and one other song sound a little rough (similar to "Little T&A" on the Virgin TATTOO YOU CD), but generally speaking, Virgin did a super job with SFs.

20. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

That's the way I remember it too. IIRC in fact you could ONLY get them in those cases to start, then the standard jewel box versions came a bit later that year. Am I remembering that right? I bought all the replica LPs, so I don't remember too clearly...

21. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

When I first saw your catalog numbers, I ran an internet search and came back with the 1994 date for both catalog numbers. I did notice that one was "Virgin Records" and the other "Virgin Records America" - but they are both US issues.

22. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

That is correct.
    The mini-LP editions sold out almost immediately, that much I remember. I mean, like, in a few days.

23. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The 1994 mini-LP CDs? That's not what I remember. I have all of them and didn't buy them all right way. I seem to recall a few (Emotional Rescue and Black & Blue?) available as cut-outs well after release.

In fact, I just looked at mine. Black & Blue is a cut-out.

24. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Yup, and I remember buying every one of them. I wonder what I did with them?

25. Futurecity

Thanks for the info! Yes, I also checked out the internet, and it appears that there are three different Virgin 1994 catalog numbers actually for their STICKY FINGERS CD...7243-8-39525-2-6...7243-8-39504-2-3...and this last one is mine...7243-8-47863-2-8, which came in the Virgin mini LP replica CD. Actually, I just looked at the catalog number on the back of the LP replica jacket, and it does match the catalog number on my disc...so I guess I do have the correct disc for the U.S. LP replica CD version.

Now, maybe someone here could correct me if I am wrong, but weren't there three different Virgin STICKY FINGERS CDs in 1994...the initial "Collector's Edition" in a jewel case, a later regular edition in a jewel case (without the Collector's artwork) and the mini LP replica CD? Could this be the reason for the three different Virgin U.S. catalog numbers? Also, does the initial "Collector's Edition" in a jewel case have the same "yellow disc" as the LP replica CD, and does the later regular edition (also in a jewel case) have a different color disc or is it yellow too?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.