Genesis: A Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering is a great double

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marke, Mar 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marke

marke Forum Resident Thread Starter

I had bypassed this whole period of 1976-77 after Peter Gabriel left. I owned albums from the Peter Gabriel era and the 1980s era. However for some reason I didn't give A Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering a chance.

But after buying them both in the last couple of months, I have to say that these are superb records. It must have been daunting for the band after Peter Gabriel left and they auditioned a heap of vocalists. Phil Collins ultimately got the job and the rest was history. A Trick of the Tail contains some excellent tracks like Dance on the Volcano and Squonk. Entangled is one of their most beautiful ballads with great mellotron playing from Tony Banks. That last minute in particular is very haunting.

Wind and Wuthering continues the high quality. Eleventh Earl of Mar is a great rocker and Your Own Special Way written by Rutherford is another benchmark. Tony Banks contribute a lot of material on this album and it's one of his favorite Genesis records. He referred to it as a romantic album and I agree with this.

One of my favorite sections on the album is Unquiet Slumbers for the Sleepers...and ...In That Quiet Earth. That haunting guitar and keyboard section leads into an upbeat onslaught of power and majesty before abruptly slowing down and Phil Collins pounds away on the drums. Hackett and Banks rock out here as well.

This was a great line up- Hackett, Collins, Banks and Rutherford. What a shame Hackett left. He was a vital part of the band and the next album And Then There Were Three wasn't quite as good IMO.

These two albums are definitely peaks in Genesis' career as far as I'm concerned.

2. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

I like them.

Front 242 Addict and Dave like this.
  3. CDmp3

CDmp3 Forum Resident

My two favourite Genesis albums are Trick of the Tail and Nursery Cryme. Wind and Wuthering is probably third with Foxtrot, Duke and Seconds Out following.

TotT is certainly a winner. Better production than The Lamb and more concise.

4. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Both are great. Couldn't believe how good Trick was after losing Gabriel. Unfortunately, when Hackett left after Wind the magic left with him.

CBC and [email protected] like this.
  5. marke

I'd now put these two in my top five Genesis albums.

1. The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
    2. A Trick of the Tail
    3. Wind and Wuthering
    4. Duke
    5. Abacab

6. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Agree that both TotT and W&W are both great CDs. The musical content was excellent even without PG.

7. waxtomcat

waxtomcat Forum Resident

Couldn't have said it better myself. I'd probably replace Lamb with Seconds Out, though.

nano nano likes this.
  8. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

I like Trick and Wind a lot. But I prefer And Then There Were Three to both of them; one of my favorite "under-rated" albums, i.e. albums in a group's catalog that most of their fans dislike (Lizard would be another example). It seems to me the descent started with Duke.

sound chaser and sennj like this.
  9. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

My two favorite Genesis albums by far.

PhilBiker likes this.
  10. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Both good albums, then they went downhill.

CBC likes this.
  11. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Wind is my fav followed by Trick. Amazing.

12. Mike McMann

Mike McMann Forum Resident

You are spot on, both favourites of mine.

13. Trick is a favorite, but Wind and Wuthering leaves me cold -I could never get into it.

14. CDmp3

CDmp3 Forum Resident

"Three" is a very good Genesis record. Mikes guitar playing is pretty good on it too.

15. marke

Truth be told, I don't think Genesis really put out a bad album. I think they hit their peak in the seventies but I like a lot of their material from the eighties and nineties like Mama, Domino, No Son of Mine and Home by the Sea.

16. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

First, I'd like to say that "Ripples" is easily one of the greatest songs EVER. I can still remember as if it were yesterday being at a friends house, down in the basement and he puts on "A Trick Of The Tail". When those drums kick in at the beginning of "Dance On The Volcano", I was sold. When "Ripples" was over, I was dumbfounded by the beauty of the music and at that time I didn't have a clue what the hell they were singing about throughout this album, all I knew was I loved the music. Lyrics have always been a problem for me, when it comes to bands like Genesis, Yes, Asia and countless others in that side of Rock. After countless plays of these artists albums and somehow the words slowly started to matter, but outside of "Ripples", it's the music and the great arrangements that matter the most to me with both "Trick" and "Wind". I have always felt that these two albums are a perfect chapter one and two for me, as they were the first two albums that I heard by Genesis.

Naturally, I became a fan and I have followed their careers, both solo and as a band from that point on. No matter how hard I try, I just can not get into the Peter Gabriel years of Genesis. Sure, there are moments of brilliance in those years, but the real magic for me starts with "Trick". I'm with a few others here that don't get the same great love from "And Then There Were Three", as we got with "Trick" and "Wind". The songs on "Three" just seemed forced and the muse was not really in the room. Funny, as I just heard "Follow You, Follow Me" on the radio the other day and it screamed out of my radio at me that it was THIS song were their "sellout" began. When "Duke" came out it was the last time that I felt that same "this is something truly special", with regards to Genesis, as I had earlier with "Trick" and "Duke". These three albums are all that I really need by Genesis and they are the ones that I return to the most often, when I need my Genesis fix. It's nice to know that others have found the same solace in these albums as I have, as it always seems that 99% of the other Genesis fans always have to give the Gabriel years the most love and many dismiss this band after he left, mostly because they felt that Genesis sold out. Well, they are right, Genesis did sell out, as I mentioned earlier, but so did Peter, which they seem to always forget..., need I simply mention, "In Your Eyes", "Steam" and "Sledgehammer"?

Ntotrar and marke like this.
  17. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I'd have to say that Trick of the Tail is my favourite Genesis album. When they toured to support that album I saw them at Maple Leaf Gardens. Amazing album and concert.

sjaca and PhilBiker like this.
  18. Drewbie

Drewbie Forum Resident

I love every Gabriel era album but I have not been able to get into Trick or anything after it. I Like the second track a lot, but other than that I came away disappointed. I love SEBTP, Foxtrot, NC, and Live equally. Then Trespass. Then Lamb. That's the end of my Genesis interest though. That being said - I would much rather listen to Trick than the pop band that came later.

19. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

My two favorite Genesis albums are Trick Of The Tail and Wind And Wuthering. Became a fan of Genesis because of Wind And Wuthering and then went backwards to the Gabriel era. While I love the Gabriel albums and the Phil Collins era too, I still turn to those two albums after all these years.

20. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

"Trick" is one of my favorite albums by anybody. "Wind" is great, too. I wish they would have done more with this lineup. The Pigeon EP is fun, too.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  21. Drewbie

Drewbie Forum Resident

What am I missing guys? What separates Trick from the amazing Gabriel era to make you rank it as their best?

22. marke

Steve Hackett's Voyage of the Acolyte from 1975 is pretty fine also. It features Phil Collins and Mike Rutherford. I don't know why Tony Banks didn't appear on it.

sjaca likes this.
  23. marke

I was a bit dismissive of these albums initally but what drew me in were their amazing melodies as well as their great musical chops. That was the key to Genesis- they could play well, but they didn't let cleverness get in the way of good songwriting. I believe Steve Hackett was given a bit more room to shine once Peter Gabriel left. Phil Collins also showed that he could step up to the plate vocally. Also Mike Rutherford and Tony Banks offered up some really good material like Your Own Special Way, Afterglow, Ripples and One for the Vine.

24. Drewbie

Drewbie Forum Resident

I'm trying not to dismiss. I really wanted to like Trick, but it didn't stick with me like the stuff from the PG era. Perhaps I need to spend more time with Trick.

25. marke

It would be time well spent. It grew on me after a few listens. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.