Miles Davis remasters by Mobile Fidelity (2012-?)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Norm Apter, Jul 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Maybe this will help answer your question. Something's different on the MFSL than my previous version -- I have the Columbia 90's & recent the 2 disc Deluxe edition. I noticed it immediately upon playing the MFSL... I heard horn parts loud and clear, that were buried and unintelligible in the discs I've been familiar with. Miles' horn front and center in one -- not the other. This has to be a different mix.

In all... the MFSL has blown me away. The mix (or whatever is going on) is so much better than what I've been used to. So much more in focus with great warmth and very realistic ... I felt like I could reach out and touch the music. As far as I'm concerned, any fan of Sketches will fall in love with the MFSL.

2. trumpetplayer

trumpetplayer Senior Member

I agree the MOFI Sketches is just incredible. It's easily the best stereo version I've heard.

3. White_Noise

White_Noise Forum Resident

Will definitely get Miles Smiles and In a Silent Way. Probably Miles Ahead as well.

4. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

As stated upthread, a few of us are hoping for Miles Smiles... do you have some news on it being released on MOFI?

5. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

6. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Kinda off topic but does anyone have the quad bitches brew on record ?
    Different mix? How does it sound?

MrRom92 likes this.
  7. White_Noise

White_Noise Forum Resident

oops, nope, didn't read beginning of thread and assumed it was included. It's hard to believe that they wouldn't...it's one his top 5 albums by most accounts and includes right hand chords by Herbie Hancock and an ultra rare smile from the man himself. What's not to like?

8. hutlock

Totally agree! I hope they get around to it, but in the meantime, I have the original Sony SACD to keep me smiling. ;)

9. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I wrote Music Direct a few weeks ago about more Miles Davis SACDs, and they said nothing had been planned. They definitely need to do a Round 2 with Miles as they did with Dylan.

10. hutlock

Thanks for the update, Keith. I hope they do another round -- really enjoy the couple in this series I have so far.

11. Claude

Claude Senior Member

It would be great if MFSL did a few titles that haven't yet been released on SACD. Like "Miles in the sky" or "Water babies".

And please no "Jazz at the Plaza". This can't be improved.

12. hishou

hishou Forum Resident

I recall it was available from other resellers, for a little cheaper on top of that.

13. Pants Party

Me too, regarding Miles Smiles. +1,000!!

That title seems particularly ripe for not only MFSL/audiophile treatment -- but even just consumer-grade remaster treatment. It's among the most highly regarded of all his work, but hasn't gotten ANYWHERE NEAR the attention that Bitches, Silent Way, Kind o' Blue, and Sketches has gotten. No re-remaster, no Legacy Edition... I wonder why.

Has it even received much attention in the LP/analog universe? I don't think it has...

14. Pants Party

...next would have to be Porgy and Miles Ahead. I really hope these find their way onto MFSL's SACD-radar. All I have is the 90's remaster of Miles Ahead which makes my ears bleed. And Porgy has become perhaps my favorite of the Gil Evans work -- I would love to have a MFSL SACD of that sitting next to my Sketches!!!

.... and then there's Birth of the Cool. *drool* Maybe we could get that one cued up next! So much Miles... so little time...

15. Pants Party

Saw this question and it made me wonder... is the upcoming MFSL Kind of Blue going to be the mono? Or is this not known yet...

16. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Maybe I'm misinterpreting your post, but are you saying that there's been no remaster of Miles Smiles? Mark Wilder has remastered it at least once and it was released in Sony's Legacy series in the late 1990s - not to be confused with the Legacy Edition 2CD series that came later and does indeed not include this album.

17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

According to ElusiveDisc the upcoming MoFi will be stereo.

18. Pants Party

The only version i've ever seen is the commonly available "20 bit-remastered" mid-90's one. That's the one I have. I've always found the first batch of those Columbia remasters to be lackluster. Somehow they're harsh & thin, yet somehow dull & boring at the same time.

My point was Kind of Blue, Midnight, and Sketches have all gotten a lot of attention and 2 disc deluxe versions -- and I'm surprised that Miles Smiles, being so loved and highly regarded, hasn't got the same level of attention. No deluxe version, no anniversary additions... I just hope MOFI provides a SACD!

19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The Mark Wilder remaster I was talking about came out in 1998 in the Sony Legacy series.

20. Pants Party

Yeah I think we're talking about the same issue of Miles Smiles.

The Sony Legacy series got better as it went on. If you will, I detected a few "waves" of reissues... The first wave, I didn't like. It was brittle and harsh. The second wave (which included Smiles) was better, but mealy and dull to me. Needed salt. And then they started doing 24-bit remasters, and it got better.

By the early 2000's we had more improvements. The 7 Steps and Corner box sets, for example, sounded great. The relatively recent 2 disc/deluxe sets of Kind of Blue and Sketches were really excellent -- warm and analog-y. I was quite impressed with these two. I would even say "happy" with them. :)

Back to these recent MFSLs -- I am quite shocked by the MFSL SACD of Sketches. Considering how good the Legacy/Deluxe set was -- this MFSL is spectacular. But anyway, there's been a lot of improvement from Sony/Legacy since they did the Miles Smiles disc that I have. There are a lot of sonics left to be discovered and enjoyed!

21. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Agree with you, Claude, about those Miles albums which no one has yet reissued on SACD. I'm afraid I'd put Kind of Blue in the can't-be-improved category.

22. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

No problem. Maybe if we all flood Music Direct's inbox with requests for more Miles Davis SACDs, they'll listen. 50,000,000 SH.tv members can't be wrong. :D

23. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

Well, quite a few are practically unavailable (oop) or simply too expensive (Japanese issues). I'd love to have the 70s material on SACD. I have Dark Magus and Bitches Brew, but man I would kill for On the Corner, Live-Evil, and Get Up With It.

24. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

I have On the Corner in a mch JSACD, and it sounds terrific, with much more clarity of texture than the RBCD version of that title.

25. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I sent an email to their mastering engineer regarding more "fusion era Miles" on SACD. No response as of yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.