Michael Nesmith planning short U.S. tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by abbeyrdsteve, Jan 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

From the videoranch email:

" After the show, you will be able to meet with Nez, take a photo with him on your camera, have one Monkees item signed (only 1!), and any Nez solo merch."

2. Sammy Banderas

Sammy Banderas Forum Resident

Ughhhh. So much for making the "fans" happy. Hope the negativity doesn't keep Nez from touring or doing stuff like this in the near future. That would be a darn shame.

3. bluejeanbaby

bluejeanbaby Forum Resident

I think that Mike just somehow didn't get the whole concept of a meet-n-greet???! Somewhere on one of his FB posts it sounds like he was told that there are these things afterwards called meet-n-greets....it gave me the impression he was totally in the dark about such things. Understandable because he hasn't solo toured for quite some time....there weren't any when the 3 of them went out this fall, were there??? Micky and Peter, among others, may have told him and so now he's gonna do it but is going about it all wrong.
    Another FB post sounds a little like that to me, too......calling it 'conversation reception' was a bit odd but in line with the way he phrases things :laugh:......
    I dunno, it's like just do the concert, and then meet the fans after the show somewhere in the venue like everyone else does, with meet-n-greet ticket prices added on to the concert ticket if you want to meet him, instead of a whole other ticket somewhere else. And that's all there it too it! Simple. :laugh:

4. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

5. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I think he's just probably a little introverted, doesn't like crowds, and is wary of certain types of people. Kinda like me. I personally would not enjoy being a celebrity. Artist, performer, yes. That's different.

6. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

He also said he wanted to keep scalpers out of it and keep it small yet allow some people in. He doesn't have to do it, and so I for on eam quite grateful he is and happy to pay the nominal fee.

7. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Damn. Wish i had seen this earlier. There goes my fourth signature on my Pisces album.

Didn't see this until today. Oh well.

8. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

9. Delramos

Delramos Active Member

Where's the indication he doesn't get meet and greet? Bit patronising mate. He's trying something different. Making it a bit more intimate. Good for him. Makes it all the more special for those who go.

Nesmith owes us nothing and yet he's giving us so much. Good for him. Sounds like sour grapes from all you haters.

10. Tracy Robison

Tracy Robison Forum Resident

Got show and conversation tickets, can't wait!

Mister Charlie likes this.
  11. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Am I weird for forgoing the meet 'n greet and simply wanting to see the show? No disrespect, but I'd want to meet Michael Nesmith if I *did* attend the m'n g, NOT the other folks in line, if you get my drift.

Bill likes this.
  12. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I've never paid for a M&G and can't imagine doing so. But then I've never hired a prostitute either.

MarkTheShark and Mark like this.
  13. Delramos

Delramos Active Member

...er...what a twat....

JuanTCB likes this.
  14. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

Examiner.com has an interview with Mike here:
    http://www.examiner.com/article/exclusive-interview-monkee-michael-nesmith-heading-out-on-solo-tour

Here is an interesting answer:

Q: “Will the most recent Monkees tour be released either on video or CD?”

Michael Nesmith: “I don't think so. There were some recordings made toward the end of the tour but I haven't looked at them. If they are outstanding, I might consider releasing them if Micky and Peter want to and agree, but I can't tell until I watch them. Right now, no plans for release.”

15. misopolemiac

misopolemiac Member

Interesting indeed. I read that part too fast and assumed that he meant audio recordings, but clearly, it's video as well. I recently read an old interview with Davy in which he said he had video of the 2011 tour. As we know, Gary Strobl has video of the '97 UK tour. When is this all going to come out?!?

16. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

I'll settle for the following conversation with Mike: He sings, I listen.

17. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

This is interesting to me because it suggests Nesmith is the "gatekeeper" of this material and its potential release. (The "Sunny Girlfriend" breakdown in Chicago was great -- they turned a show-stopper moment into a routine, but I sense Nesmith would be too much of a perfectionist to want to preserve that one for posterity.) Some time back (before there was talk about the recent reunion) Nesmith also casually mentioned in passing on his Facebook page that he had been working on re-editing the Monkees' 1997 TV special for possible release. I assume that meant going back to film elements for a new transfer which would meet today's standards, not editing for content? But who knows? And I have seen/heard/read no references to this again since. I know he's credited as the writer (and possibly also director) on that one. I think it's jointly owned by the four Monkees (now three and one estate) IIRC? (Uh oh.)

18. 905

905 Senior Member

I remember reading that back when I was on facebook. Since then I've been hoping Mike is making a new edit of the 1997 tv show, but haven't heard anything else. (The only reason being that I'd like to see Mike do another take on it just to see what he comes up with.)

19. bluejeanbaby

bluejeanbaby Forum Resident

People say he does take down postings he's made from his fb page, but I swear I saw him say within a post that he had heard there is this thing where you meet fans after the shows from Micky and Peter....I just don't say whatever I want off the top of my head....soooo, I guess that was another one of his sarcastic and silly joking arounds????
    I'm not one of those haters nope not me, for that you have to look elsewhere...been a Monkees fan since 1967 actually, therefore am a Mike fan, since I lived and breathed Micky, Mike, Peter and Davy all, oh for about 2+1/2 yrs back then....and been hanging around the fandom since they resurged in the 80's...especially from the turn of the millenium and onward...
    However I'm also not one to fall at the feet of any of them, not 13 anymore you know?
    Anyways, good going for those who are able to talk to him, I'll be looking forward to what you say about the experience.

20. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I guess there is a show on Comedy Central called The Kroll Show. It's a sketch comedy show. Nez posted on FB that he shot some stuff for that on Tuesday.

MN ~ "Years ago my first day of shooting was at the Columbia Ranch. Now it is just called the Ranch but I think it is part of Warner Bros. It is a large installation at the corner of Hollywood Way and Oak out in Burbank --the valley -- in California.

I went down to LA on Tuesday to shoot the Kroll Show and Wednesday morning I got up early and drove out of the hotel but had to pull over in order to get my nav set up to get me to the studio.

After I stopped I looked up and realized I was sitting at the entrance to the Ranch.

It wasn't exactly deja vu -- more like deja whoa -- and it made me laugh. As I sat in the car alone I had all the same emotions overtake me that ran through my head on the first day of shooting back in 1966. Not exactly D Day levels of tension -- but it took hold on much the same terms.

I drove over to cast and crew parking where I got in the van to go to the location. I was the only one in the van besides the driver who said not a word.

It was like getting on the school bus the first day of school -- or a first date -- any of those firsts where you don't know exactly what to do, don't really know anyone, or which way to turn. As a recurrence it was bittersweet -- I had been here before -- but I was surprised at how eternal the moment was -- timeless and real.

The show was fun to shoot. I love collaboration with a creative team. Nick was warm and hospitable and fun to work with --Levy, my friend was solicitous and attentive and helpful -- and the sketch was pretty funny.

We won't know till Krisel gets it edited -- but I'll bet it will come out fine. Krisel -- the director -- knows his stuff.

By the end of the day I was back in the saddle and confident and comfortable and happily rocking back and forth on my feet waiting for the school bus to take me home.

Turns out the next school bus is a tour bus. It shows up for me Thursday in Nashville.

Life as a 6 year old -- all over again."

21. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Tour starts tomorrow. Who's going to the first show?

22. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Tour started last night in Nashville - did anyone here go?

23. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

Someone posted video of Mike singing " Some of Shelley's Blues" - GREAT version! Love to see more!!!

Tracy Robison and Mister Charlie like this.
  24. Tracy Robison

Tracy Robison Forum Resident

Last night (courtesy of B. Swiger)
    [​IMG]

Mister Charlie likes this.
  25. KirkK

KirkK Senior Member

The above video was me. Here's Grand Ennui:

Tracy Robison and Mister Charlie like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.