OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part2)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MilesSmiles, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Did anyone read the 105 review in the latest The Absolute Sound?

Personally, I found it a somewhat unsatisfactory review. Quite long on the technical descriptions but short on listening impressions. Two big paragraphs on the sound of an HDCD, but nothing specific regarding the sound of SACDs. No DVD-Audio discs were listened to, and although "enthusiastically recommended", there were no comparisons to other players in the market place (better than the previous Oppo - fine).

I felt short changed by Chris Martens' review.

2. FLEMKE

FLEMKE Senior Member

I personally think a lot of reviewers have trouble with a "Made in China" player that competes with much more expensive units they get advertising money from. I could be wrong, but I think there is a lot of politics in reviewing equipment.

Tim

3. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Went to their website-mods sounded very impressive and would be the preferred way to go over-say-Modwright's tube mod with the tubes sticking oh of the player-yuk! .Wonder if they ship to the states?-would purchase the entire unit for $3200 Australian Dollars.Also when exactly did Australian dollars surpass U.S. dollars in value? I remember purchasing Australian CDs online in Australian dollars oh about 10 years ago for almost half of U.S. dollar prices!

Ilovefooty likes this.
  4. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

What are the measured jitter specs before and after the mod? Is there a problem with the current SABRE jitter implementation? Does the mod correlate with better sound? If so how exactly is this being determined?

5. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Yeah, you are wrong.

6. Ilovefooty

Ilovefooty Forum Resident

I will be getting my upgraded 105 any day soon. It's in Joe's system now getting a run-through. Joe has been doing upgrades to digital players for the past 25 years, so he's a trusted member of the audio community down here.
    The Aussie $ is actually higher than the $US at the moment, but not by much. So A$3200 is about US$3281. I can't see why Joe won't ship the unit to the US, you'll just have to pay for shipping also.
    As soon as i get the upgraded 105, i will be posting my review here. I have contacted a guy who has an upgraded 95 and he wants to sell his $30k Meridian player now. Sounds funny because it's true.
    Watch this space....

7. Ilovefooty

Ilovefooty Forum Resident

I'm not sure how to answer those questions. Maybe contact Joe Rasmussen http://www.customanalogue.com/contact.htm and he'll answer all of your questions.

8. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

Help please. The oppo 105 seems the solution to a number of my problems but wonder if there are other solutions.

I need an audio/stereo player to play Blu Ray ( music) DvdA SACD, stream my files wireless from PC and upgrade my DAC on my Sonos. Not interested in picture or surround aspects.

Currently running Naim cd5x
    which I would trade in.

Good idea or not?

9. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I'm betting that it sounds pretty terrific after Joe's Mods. The Stock Oppo 95, and presumably 105 as well, sound great in many regards; except for being dry and lifeless. Supposedly removing op-amps from doing I/V duty makes all the difference in the world in these regards.

Ilovefooty likes this.
  10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm not really well versed in computer audio as I'm just getting started. From my reading the 103/105 can not play flac files without gaps. If a file was in the DFF format would the 103/105 be able to play an album such as the Dark Side of the Moon without gaps?

Bill

11. TarnishedEars

I've read on another forum that Oppo is supposedly planning to allow for file-based DSD playback support. This apparently does NOT include ASIO, so it won't be a true DSD DAC which you can use with something like Jriver or Foobar. But this will supposedly allow for a 105, and possibly the 103 as well, to be able to read either dsf or dff files over a network resource, or possibly from a USB drive too.

It would be very cool if our resident Oppo beta tester is able comment on when this DSD file support is planned to be rolled-out.

12. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Who said that?

13. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

More than likely he will not be able to comment, due to the NDA, as Oppo will want to be certain the feature works as intended before giving the wide announcement.

14. TarnishedEars

I'm not sure what the rules are on this forum regarding quoting from or linking to other forums. So I'm not going to directly quote from, or link to his post until I'm sure that this isn't something which might inadvertently land me in hot water on this forum. However, the poster of which I speak claimed that he had personally confirmed this in a phone-call to Oppo.

15. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

I've owned one of Dan's modded Oppo 83SE for a few years, and those tubes sticking out of top of the custom analog output stage allow the Modwright Oppo to compete with players costing many thousands more. I wouldn't knock someone's work until you've had the chance to listen to it.

16. TarnishedEars

Dan does great work. I personally don't care for how he installs the tubes on top of his players, but the sonic result is definitely worthwhile.

17. scottc1963

scottc1963 Forum Resident

I finally pulled the plug and bought a 103! Hooked it up in minutes, but I noticed that, when playing files (mainly video) it will "lock up" and I will have to restart it. I am using it wirelessly,but it isn't far away from the access point. Anybody else having the same? I guess I could contact Oppo.

18. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Streaming video via WiFi is a tricky proposition. What happens when you attempt the same, but use a Cat5 cable?

19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Any thoughts on the above? Also can the 103/105 play ISO files of music? The original 93/95 firmware allowed the playback of bluray ISO files but are ISO files of music also not playable? Again I'm a computer audio newbie so pardon my basic questions or incorrect terminolgy.

Bill

20. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Th
    Bill,

There is no official ISO support on any of the OPPO models any longer. Technically, ISO was never officially supported ;)

21. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Sam,

Thanks for your thoughts :). I was going to get some hi-rez files transferred to my HD but they are ISO files so I'm out of luck trying to play them through my 103.

Bill

22. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

You can play the ISO files on your OPPO but you will need to do so using Foobar with the SACD decoder plugin using Foobar as the controller and the OPPO as a renderer and play the file through a network connection to the OPPO. If the image files are DVD-Audio you may use the DVD-Audio Decoder and Watermark Detector plugin for Foobar and likewise play the DVD-Audio ISO through the network connection. You may also use the respective plugins to extract the individual song files from the image file and convert them to high-resolution FLAC files and play those over the network connection or by storing the FLAC files to your HD and using that to play the files.

23. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Jeff,

Thank you for taking the time to give a detailed explanation of how to play ISO files with the Oppo. I need to educate myself on all of this as most of what you said went right over my head :help:. Is there a "Dummies" guide to computer based audio that I can consult ;)?

Bill

24. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I'll let Jeff give a better explanation, but here's my "dummy" version.

You can't play ISOs on the OPPOs :) You can use a laptop/PC with ISOs stored on it, and "push" the decoded output to the player when you designate it as a renderer for the Foobar audio playback program.

Basically, the audio program (Foobar) is doing all the heavy lifting, and the OPPO is just the destination for the file playback stream.

25. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

So, basically what he's saying is...no, there's no "Dummies" guide...yet. :evil:

Now playing on http://www.arielstream.com/]Ariel Stream[/URL]: Jem - They

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.