OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part2)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MilesSmiles, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

Bill you can do an internet search for Foobar and there are tutorials on how to configure it. As Sam said, Foobar is doing the heavy lifting and the OPPO is the destination. From reading your posts perhaps the easiest way for you to play the files is to use Foobar and the plugins to extract the individual song files from the ISO to your hard drive as high-resolution FLAC files. You can then use the 103 to navigate to where you saved those FLAC files and play them using the OPPO network interface.

2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Sam,

Thanks for the "dummed down" explanation :). Boy do I need it.

3. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Jeff,

Once again thanks for your help :). I have quite a bit of reading to do and will do the suggested searches. I don't want to go any further off topic here.

Bill

4. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

I was not trying to be disputatious. I know the firmware for playing files from USB is on the way but I have not been told that adding ASIO support will not happen in the future. I did ask and was told they were "looking into it."

5. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Are you just speaking about Blueray ISOs, or are you also including SACD-Rs sourced from ISOs in the ISO category?

6. TarnishedEars

Out of curiosity: Is anyone else here an X-files fan who owns the X-files on DVD? The reason why I ask is every single one of my X-files DVDs locks-up my Oppos at some point during the disk. It would be really nice if Oppo could fix this issue. I've experienced no other disk compatibility issues with any of my players.

7. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Any/all ISOs.

8. TarnishedEars

Sorry to be a bit dense, but I find your comments to be unclear. Does this mean that they have removed the ability to read SACD-Rs from some newer firmware? If so, when was this (unsupported, and undocumented) feature removed?

9. jkeigs

jkeigs Forum Resident

Is there a way to do this with OS X? Also, it's unclear how to push, is that setting the oppo up as a dlna receiver?

10. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

The player will handle SACD-R's fine. The discussion is about computer image files of discs.

11. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

No the OPPO is set up as a renderer when pushing to it and as a digital media player when pulling from a DLNA server.

See the FAQ. You will need to consult the documentation with the program you use as a digital media controller (e.g. Foobar, JRiver, etc.) regarding setup to push music to the OPPO. I have not researched OS X as I don't use that operating system.

12. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Correct, the OPPOs have never support SACD ISO. SACD-R is fine.

13. jkeigs

jkeigs Forum Resident

Good to know and thanks for the FAQ. I'll research OS X options. Worst case I can run foobar in wineskin.

14. bogdan101

bogdan101 Forum Resident

Oppo 105 arrived the other day, and cd playback is much improved vs. the dac in my Yamaha AVR (no surprise here), and is also better than an Arcam rdac I tried for a few days, especially the top end. Up to now I was thinking cd's have nasty brittle sounding treble, when in fact poor quality equipment was to blame. Excuse me while I reassess my audio value system...

15. The Blu-ray alliance was going to pull Oppo's keys if they hadn't made steps to remove ISO playback, which is why that function was removed from future firmwares. The content owners from Hollywood view it as a dangerous step towards enabling piracy, since Blu-ray ISOs are freely traded over torrents. As far as I know, the music industry doesn't care one wit about ISO playback.

16. scottc1963

scottc1963 Forum Resident

I haven't hooked it up like that yet it would take a VERY long cable, so question one is how long a a Cat.5 cable be? Second one is this thing locked up on playing a Warner Archive disc (VERY clean) I think it was trying to find it's point were it last played, last when playing an MP4 vidio file it says format not supported, I thought these played any format.

17. Ilovefooty

Ilovefooty Forum Resident

Ok, I've had the upgraded 105 from Custom Analogue Audio (http://www.customanalogue.com/index.html) now for 24 hours. My initial thoughts were a little disappointing comparing CD to my Consonance Droplet. It sounded flat and closed in. But after having a disc in for 3 hours on repeat and matching the level of the two players, something began to shine through. Now I'm comparing CD playback only.
    The 105 had more texture and detail in the bass. I could hear more body and timbre from acoustic bass on the track So And So from the Holy Cole Trio. Also timing was vastly improved. While the Droplet's midrange was a little more fleshed out, the 105 just sounded more natural and flowing. Something vinyl does so well.
    I will keep the player on repeat for the rest if the weekend and give more results on Sunday.

18. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Cat5 can go 300ft. I would highly recommend testing witha temporary Cat5 solution before troubleshooting the player itself.

Mp4 is a container format, maybe the player could not support the native audio or video file format within the Mp4?

19. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

Sam doesn't like wireless. :) There is no inherent problem with wi-fi. If it is good enough you will have no problem, if it is borderline you will have problems. So either use an ethernet connection or take some time to insure you have a good wireless connection using good wireless networking methodology and topology. I have no problems with my wireless network, but I took the time to optimize it for streaming of video and audio and it works flawlessly.

20. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

My WiFi network is quite robust, with a Cisco business-class Access Point, optimized location and channel selection, etc. However, most people don't typically have such a setup or flexibility, and WiFi can be difficult to troubleshoot. As such, wired connection is typically more robust and trouble free for the average person.

21. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

Many people do not have the ability to install a wired connection based upon a finished home and other factors so a wireless network can be more economical and easier to implement in many situations than a wired connection for the same average person. You have given a perfect example with your Cisco AP, optimized location and channel selection which is similar to what I have done and which can be accomplished much more inexpensively as opposed to incurring the expense of installing a wired network in a finished home when wireless, properly configured, will suffice. In new construction a wired connection is obviously the better solution, but many do not have that luxury. Evidently wireless works for you and me and many others which is why it is the preferred method of networking for most people as compared to the expense of a wired network.

22. Since today, I am an owner of the Oppo BDP-105EU version.

I just hooked it up today, and it is still too early to make any solid statements, but so far it sounds pretty good. I am using the XLR analog connections from the Oppo to my NAD M3 amp.

I am just amazed at what formats this player can handle and the feature list.

23. I have a question with regards to the Oppo:

If I hook up another CD player via the digital input (coax or optical), and if I want to compare two different CD masterings, putting one CD in the Oppo and the other CD in the other transport, playing both at the same time (synchronized). What will happen if I switch the input from "Blu-ray player" to "Digital in"? Will the transport of the Oppo stop playing the disc, making A/B comparisons in such a way impossible, or will the Oppo player continue to play back the CD?

I suppose if the Oppo stops playing, I could hook up two transports to the two digital inputs of the Oppo (coax and optical), and then swithc between the two transports (two different digital inputs).

24. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

Unaware if SamS has mentioned something about this in this long thread but someone on another forum (Canuck Audio) said that Oppo would be offering the 105 in silver later this spring. Have you heard about this?

25. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

I inquired a couple of months ago, and the e.t.a was by March. I couldn't wait and went for the black.....which worked out great for me as my new Anthem 225 integrated amp is black as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.