Poll: Black Sabbath "13" or Deep Purple "Now What?!"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jon9091, Mar 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality Thread Starter

Both of these legendary bands have new albums coming out in short notice. Which of the two do you feel will produce the better album in 2013? What are the deciding factors?

2. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

My Magic 8 Ball says "Reply hazy, try again".

3. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

I'm a huge Deep Purple fan, so I'm voting for Black Sabbath.

4. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

Well...I like DP well enough. But a new Sabbath disc that would maybe - just a bit - come close to the "old sound" would be very cool, indeed.

5. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I think they will both be substandard, but without Jon Lord, I can't imagine the new Purple disc will be memorable at all.

Classicolin and petercl like this.
  6. jon9091

How much do you think the choice of the respective producers has with the final product that we will hear? Rick Rubin vs. Bob Ezrin. Personally, I think Ezrin was an odd choice for Deep Purple.

7. jon9091

That man is irreplaceable...I agree.

8. kingofstoneage

kingofstoneage Forum Resident

:whistle: i guess 13 will be loud!!!

9. zen

zen Senior Member

Looking at both groups last album from a musical standpoint, "Rapture of the Deep" was more enjoyable than the practically one-dimensional, "The Devil You Know" IMO.

My magic 8 ball says: Gillan will have much better lyrics and Purple's musical variety will be hard to top.

Hopefully, both albums are good. Life's too short for all.

gklainer likes this.
  10. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Well, Jon was absent from the last two DP albums, and they are....not memorable.

Sabbath's will be decent.

11. zen

zen Senior Member

That's why I think Purple will be a better listen. All their albums are better than decent, but I can't say the same about Sabbath. Last decent album was Born Again.

And in your opinion what was the last memorable DP album with Jon?

12. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

To answer the OPs question on which band I think will produce the better album? Deep Purple.

Which band do I hope produces the better album? Sabbath.

Not as a competition or anything silly - just that, imo, Sabbath hasn't released anything really good since Gillan knows when. :) On the other hand, imo, Deep Purple has a far better latter day discography. Therefore, in my mind, it will be a bigger deal if Sabbath releases a keeper.

curbach and zen like this.
  13. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

No love for Tony Martin and the 'Dehumanizer' album (with Dio) I see, lol.

Anyway, I'm going with Black Sabbath all the way.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  14. Crungy

Crungy Forum Resident

I stopped following Deep Purple in the late 80s and as much as a Sabbath fanatic as I am, I recently listened to the post Born Again albums and IMO, Tony has been in a creative rut for the last 3 decades. Ditto Butler and Osbourne. Ward One is the best album in the past three decades from any of the original four. Bill Ward was as important to the soul of Sabbath's sound as was Bonham to Zeppelin's soul. Lawyers suck!!! /m\

15. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Rick Rubin produced a Retro record, while Bob E. produced Deep Purple goes Pop.

Classicolin and zen like this.
  16. zen

zen Senior Member

So basically one band is looking back, while the other band is moving forward. Is that right?

;)

Purple win. They still got the feel of Ian Paice. :D

sound chaser and danielbravo like this.
  17. jon9091

"The Devil You Know" was by Heaven and Hell w/RJD.

18. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I've been trying to find the Bill Ward solo albums for a while now, but no dice. I remember seeing them in the stores when they were brand new. I've heard great things about them.

19. jon9091

20. Crungy

Crungy Forum Resident

I got the album when it came out on Chameleon Records. My only knock against it is that it has some dated 80s shred guitar. Bill has 3 solo albums in the can, but doesn't have a label to release them. Bill was much more involved in the Sabbath songwriting process then most people think. Scary Dreams a new song which Sabbath played during one of the Ozzfest tours last decade was an Iommi/Ward composition...

21. motorcitydave

Are you serious? I mean it is your opinion, and you're definitely entitled to it, but there's not too much evidence to support that, in my opinion.

22. motorcitydave

23. petercl

petercl Forum Resident

I could have said it better myself. I hope they are both great.

24. Crungy

Crungy Forum Resident

Uh, yes I'm very serious. I've been in a clique of Sabbath freaks since 82. Most of us also play guitar and think the same. Could you please list Tony's legendary riffs/solos from the past 30 years, as accepted by the general rock/guitar community and not just your opinion...

25. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Better is too subjective.

Who do I believe will produce the album I will like better?

I would love to say Sabbath, because the Iommi/Butler machine is one of my favourite partnerships ever and produces some of the most wonderful heavy rock sounds to my ears, and I'd really love them to come up with a corker; but working against them are a singer in dubious form and a drummer who isn't part of the band and is only working with them on a session basis.

Looking back at their respective recent output, my vote has to go to Purple as they always feature at least a handful of songs I really like on every album. I naturally expect the same from Now What.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.