Poll: Black Sabbath "13" or Deep Purple "Now What?!"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jon9091, Mar 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

But it's so tough to consider those Tony Martin albums "Sabbath albums". Dehumanizer was okay, but that last H&H album didn't do much for me. But this isn't the Tony Martin Sabbath, nor is it the Dio Sabbath.

This is a pretty big unknown, as these three guys have not made an album together in 35 years. The new tracks on Reunion did not leave much hope that they could do anything decent, but from what little blips of music that can be heard on the recent in-the-studio video the Sabs put on YouTube, it sounds like they may be able to pull it off somewhat convincingly. There's a chance they could release something great, and I just don't think DP has it in them anymore. The advance DP track sounds just like I expected....just like all the bland, mid-tempo stuff on Bananas and Rapture Of The Deep.

Abandon.

Seriously. I didn't think it was a bad album at all, and I'm surprised at the disdain some have for it. I think if you take the best parts of that and Purpendicular, you've got yourself one pretty great DP album.

2. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Black Sabbath.......I'm giving them more of a chance for a better outing even without Bill Ward. If I had the chance to see them both, as constituted right now in concert, it wouldn't be close for me. Sabbath all the way.

3. I'd much rather hear anything from sessions the "Heaven And Hell" line-up started prior to Dio's passing... I've read these were everything between simple demos and a fully completed second album, though as a massive fan of The Devil You Know my hope is that the Tony/Geezer framework can at least come up with a few more decent tracks in that mould, even if I'm not holding my breath for Ozzy's vocals being up to much without a lot of technical assistance!

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  4. SimplyOrange

SimplyOrange Forum Resident

I can't imagine Deep Purple without Jon Lord. Although Sabbath without Bill Ward would be hard too. As much as I hate to say it though, my vote goes to Sabbath.

5. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

In all seriousness, I plan to give both albums a fair shake. Geez, both bands are in my top five of all time! I'm such a goofy fanboy, I even enjoy the Tony Martin era Sabbath. And I'm a sucker for "Come Taste The Band". Both camps have provided me with so much great music that even if both albums suck-which I doubt they will-I really can't complain. I'm just happy to have both bands around. Long live Purple Sabbath! :D

zen and stingraex2000 like this.
  6. zen

zen Senior Member

Sharon Osbourne must love you. :sigh: If I'm not mistaken, "The Devil You Know" was the same lineup that made Mob Rules, by Black Sabbath.

Classicolin and Sandinista like this.
  7. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

Sabbath. I have no interest I'm Deep Purple.

8. zen

zen Senior Member

I'm Deep Purple? I'm sure you meant IN deep purple...otherwise, nice to meet you Mr. Purple. :tiphat:

But your comment makes me think this poll would've been more interesting if only fans of both bands too part. Otherwise, it's back to a popularity contest.

9. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality Thread Starter

If only fans of both bands too part? o_O
    I'm sure you meant Deep Purple is losing this poll...so here's some mumbo-jumbo excuse as to why.

10. If Ozzy doesn't ruin the Sabbath album, I think it could be better. Judging by the first online sample, Ian Gillan still sings quite well in the studio, but the music might not be so interesting (I don't think we can judge by one song yet, though). But the few clips I heard of the Sabbath album sounded pretty good, but I am afraid that Ozzy vocals will be way off and also ruined by a gazillion studio effects. Too early to vote for me.

11. zen

zen Senior Member

I knew Purple would lose this poll. Has zero to do with the quality of music clearly. I just find the posts from people who are into both bands a more enjoyable read.

12. jon9091

I really don't see what that has to do with a Black Sabbath album with Ozzy. They literally sound nothing alike. They didn't then, and I'm guessing they won't now.

13. jon9091

I just found it funny that you were picking on the guy for making a typo...and yet, your sentence made no sense whatsoever.

14. jon9091

I think Ezrin was a poor choice for Deep Purple as Producer.

15. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

Damn phone.

zen likes this.
  16. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

I'm surprised so many seem to be under the impression that the new DP album will be the first without Jon Lord.

17. zen

zen Senior Member

Picking on the guy?! No, that's your forte. ;) I call it, having fun.

It obvious your mind is made up and won't be able to think clearly on this topic. Not picking on you, just looks like your mind is made up.

18. jon9091

He had retired from the band over a decade ago now (before his passing)....I can't remember why exactly. Knee problems maybe?

19. zen

zen Senior Member

Knee problem and the world of classical music sealed the deal I think.

20. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Where exactly does the "general rock/guitar community" post their results so we can check for accuracy? :wtf:

21. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

That's cool and all, but legendary? That's hard to answer because to be honest, I don't know what's accepted by the general rock/guitar community. I find it hard to believe it's absolutely nothing in 30 years. There's some good stuff on those albums between '86-'95 and the Iommi solo album.

22. motorcitydave

Exactly. I look forward to Crungy's answer...

23. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

The first record I ever bought with my own money was a Black Sabbath 45 Iron Man b/w Electric Funeral in 1970 when I was about 10., the first album I bought was a Deep Purple Best of comp made from the 1st 3 albums that I can't seem to find anywhere these days. So to me both act's are legends. To me the riffs they both came up with are like instruction manuals to the art of riffology. Sabbath leading in the "Guitar Riff" catagory of course Tony is the man. I always check out everything both bands do to this day. Much as I love Sabbath, DP' newer stuff, has been consistently great. I like the Morse era stuff.
    I'd have to say I'm looking forward to DP's the most, 1st because, and I hate to say this but leaving Bill Ward out would have been the equivalent of leaving Jon Lord out if he would have been down for it. Ouch. There I said it. I like Bill's records bettter than anything Sabbath did since Heaven and Hell. 2nd Rick Rubin freaks me out and well you know about the mastering of his latest stuff. Bob Ezrin and DP could be cool. I think that what I'm most interested in. Would really be great to see them both get it together and do a Black & Purple Tour!

24. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I concur.

Damn right you are.

25. motorcitydave

Thank you, I appreciate that...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.