OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part2)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MilesSmiles, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Ah, could be a possibility. I'm one firmware behind as I did not want to jinx my multi-zone hack device in the back of my unit. Although apparently they say it's firmware proof. I'll give it a shot tonight. Thanks!

2. I found the following quote in a test report from HiFi News:

"However, SACD is now downsampled to 88.2kHz LPCM regardless of whether the Audio Format > SACD Output mode is set to DSD or
    LPCM (also unaffected by HDMI Audio or Coaxial/Optical output setting)."

This is the full article:
    http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/UserFiles/Docs/PDF/HFN_Oppo BDP-105EU.pdf

Is that correct? Doesn't make much sense in the light that you can select in the menu whether you want SACD's to play back in native DSD or converted to PCM.

3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Only as related to HDMI 1. Only HDMI 2 supports bitstream DSD.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  4. Thanks for the quick info.

So, internally, it will be DSD to analog if that is the setting I have selected in the menu, correct?

What can be done with that bitstream DSD via HDMI? Is this comparable to some special versions of Sony Playstations which can rip the DSD layer of an SACD? Is this possible with the Oppo? Or can I digitally "record" my SACD's in High-Res format via the Oppo?

5. Jerry Horne

That did the trick! Thanks! Don't know if it's my imagination, but DSD sounds better on my little bedroom rig. Who knows.

Know, let's see if the multi-region still works ;)

6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Correct.

You can send bitstream DSD via HDMI to compatible AVRs/processors.

No.

No.

No. There are some workarounds where you can get >16/44 PCM out of the the coax/optical/HMDI outputs from SACDs, if you have the means to record bitstream, then you could find a solution. But it won't be bit-perfect, and it will take some know-how, effort and appropriate associated gear.

7. Sam, thanks a lot for your profound answers, much appreciated.

8. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

I laughed out loud when I read that portion of the review. Obviously the reviewer did not bother to consult the manual of the equipment he was reviewing. On page 64 of the 105 manual OPPO clearly states:

Due to the hardware limitation, DSD output is only available from the HDMI 2 OUT port. To listen to SACD using the HDMI 1 OUT port, please set SACD Output to PCM.

His "observation" and conclusion was clearly erroneous because he had no idea that DSD is output over HDMI-2 and apparently performed his testing using the HDMI-1 port which receives LPCM. His conclusions were based on user error and by not bothering to consult the manual.

9. Jerry Horne

So I'm thinking about ordering the Beatles USB stick. Would the 103 play the 24-bit FLAC files if I just stuck the thing into the front of the unit?

10. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

11. Jerry Horne

Sweet! Thanks!

I also just dumped my McCartney lp unlimited 24-bit WAV files onto a USB and plugged it into the front and it seems to play fine. I assume It plays WAV off a USB?

12. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

Yes it will also play wav files. All supported media is listed in the unofficial FAQ.

13. Jerry Horne

Thanks! Just ordered the Beatles USB stick from Amazon Canada. Now to find a USB stick with enough storage for all the McCartney WAV files released thus far in the Archive collection :)

14. Ilovefooty

Ilovefooty Forum Resident

So i've had the Custom Analogue Audio upgraded 105 on repeat now for the last 4 days. A quick review would sound like: I haven't touched my Kuzma Stabi Reference turntable since the 105 arrived.
    In detail it goes a little like this....
    I've been listening to CD and SACD for the last 4 days in utter amazement. In comparison, my Consonance Droplet 5.0 sounded forward and rushed. Now the 105 has rhythm and timing i've never heard previously. The detail in the bass is something i didn't know existed. I sit there playing CD after CD getting goose bumps and becoming emotionally attached to the music. It's so organic, so natural. I haven't had so much involvement with CD since i had an Audio Aero Capitole. I think the upgraded 105 beats it.
    This is the level 2 upgrade. Joe tells me that level 3 is being tested and will be available in the next few months. I can't imagine where he can take this humble machine.
    If you have any enquiries, please contact Joe Rasmussen at http://www.customanalogue.com/index.html

SinnerSaint likes this.
  15. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Good stuff. It's great to see Joe going forward with these terrific mods after Allen passed away.

Ilovefooty likes this.
  16. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

Does anyone have any specs regarding the difference in S/N ratios, jitter measurements, THD+N specs, etc., before and after the mods?

17. Ilovefooty

Ilovefooty Forum Resident

Jeff, I'm sure Joe can give that information. Just shoot him an email.

18. Is there any difference in the signal path (or sound quality) between having the output level fixed (via on-screen menu) or having it set to variable but then having the output level set to 100%?

My understanding is that there can be a very minor degradation in sound quality when the digital level control is used to reduce the overall level, but is there also a difference between fixed level and variable level set to 100%?

19. I have now connected my Rega Apollo via the optical input to the Oppo BDP-105, and the DAC in the Oppo is better than the one in the Rega Apollo. I am now using my Rega Apollo as a transport with the Oppo BDP-105. Works very well, including HDCD decoding.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  20. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

There shouldn't be, try it and see if you can detect a difference by ear or by measurement.

21. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I think there could be, but it may need a fantastically resolving system downstream to demonstrate the difference.

22. Jerry Horne

I'm playing the Beatles Apple USB through my 103 and it sounds just fantastic. I don't see the video content though. Do I have to watch that through my computer only?

23. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

I guess I'm confused. With the number of bits allocated by the SABRE chip to volume control what do you think would be the digital difference between fixed and 100% volume?

24. Jerry Horne

So, no gapless playback on the 103 for music on USB??

No magical hacks out there?

25. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

No and no.

You need one of three basic scenarios to support gapless files:

1) The file structure has to be rigorous enough to impose restrictions on what type of file comes next, i.e. Blu-ray disc structures. NOT FLAC.
    2) You have to do the decoding in some external device (i.e. laptop) and send the files to the player, already decoded and buffered.
    3) The player would have to simultaneously decode two streams in order to buffer them for gapless. The BDP-103/105 does not support dual simultaneous decoding.

I understand why you'd want gapless, but it's better to buy 'the right tool for the job'. The OPPO is a great disc player, and decent enough file streamer. It should never be viewed as a substitute for a dedicated file streamer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.