Vinyl Reissues To Avoid

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by iamthecosmos, Mar 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Here's their general info email...anybody feel like sending them one???

[email protected]

2. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Weird... The AF CD blows the Rhino away, IMHO, but I am thinking that I would have liked to go all the way back to the sound of vinyl for a more natural sound here. Not interested in 45 RPM records that need to have the sides flipped every 5 minutes though.

3. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Thanks

Paul K likes this.
  4. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Did they use the Windfall label for the reissue?

5. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

The Doors box I have does not have remixes, just remastering. Here is the story:

http://www.elusivedisc.com/TheDoorsVinylRestoration.pdf

And here is a link to the box which is still available:

http://www.elusivedisc.com/THE-DOORS-NUMBERED-LIMITED-EDITION/productinfo/WBLP74881C/

6. torrey wikins

torrey wikins Forum Resident

Great- I have Burritos on order. Should of known better as it's 4MWB..

7. torrey wikins

Also, The Pretty Things-S.F. Sorrow on Sundazed is a pretty bad pressing. Green transparent vinyl. I hate colored vinyl.

8. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

The black vinyl is great. I have the original, not the new Kevin Gray cut.

9. Blue Collar Man

Blue Collar Man Active Member

All vinyl is colored vinyl, unless its clear.

Devon and katstep like this.
  10. torrey wikins

Right, my bad-clear vinyl sucks also.

11. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Ever heard 4 Men With Beards Otis or Aretha reissues?

12. sgb

sgb Senior Member

13. Sandy Lee

Sandy Lee New Member

As long as I can find the original pressing I avoid any re-issue. The stuff that's coming out today looks like vinyl but does not sound like one.

gorangers, Scott222C and candyflip69 like this.
  14. sgb

sgb Senior Member

That's not always the case. I bought three Speakers Corner LPs recently — the first LPs in more than 20 years, and they are among the best sounding I've ever heard.

15. gst510

gst510 Forum Resident

Bumped a thread about Numero for ya.

16. vjf1968

vjf1968 Well-Known Member

I have the first 4 Scott Walker albums and I really don't understand what the problem is. They play fine, they are nice and flat, no distortion. What am I missing here?

17. vjf1968

vjf1968 Well-Known Member

That first FBB album wasn't recorded in the best circumstances in the first place.

18. firefoxussr

firefoxussr Dynamic Range Enthusiast™

Marilyn Manson - Antichrist Supserstar (recently reissued for Hot Topic stores on red vinyl, good pressing...audio clearly from the CD. Simply Vinyl is noticeably better.)

19. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I would also add Friday Music cut by Kevin Gray. Most of those titles are great. People that are avoiding FM are missing out on some good stuff. I really liked the Kansas titles. Also, Deep Purple Burn rivals my UK copy. Not to mention many others. There are few clunkers but not worth avoiding this label entirely. The capitol titles have been dicey.

Many of the new releases on vinyl have been very good. For example "Thick as a Brick II, Steve Wilson's new record, Big Big Train, Dream Theater.

20. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

The Otis Redding reissues that I've seen and heard are on Sundazed and pretty good.

I think the only one on 4MWB is The Great Otis Redding Sings Soul Ballads ???

21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Classic had some of the most inconsistent quality. I don't what they were doing but some of my Classic Record titles are noisier than most other labels.

22. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Sandy Lee, I just have to tell you that FedEx just now delivered a parcel containing two records I just bought from Acoustic Sounds. One of them is Dan Hicks' latest album, Tangled Tales, the other is the Sundazed issue of S&G's Bridge Over Troubled Water, and as for this, all I can tell you is this is the finest I've ever heard this album.

I have three copies of the earliest 360 sound label LPs and the GOLD Mastersound CD in the long box — the one pressed in Japan — and none of these is even close. I am ordering the other two S&G Sundazed albums very soon, based on this.

23. maxheadroom

maxheadroom Senior Member

As far as brazilian music goes, a few years ago a label called Polysom started with intentions of reissuing classic (rock/pop) brazilian records in 180g vinyl. They made all sorts of hype on twitter, they appeared on TV shows trying to explain how could LP records sound better than CDs etc. I bought just one of their releases (it was pretty expensive at around $90 a record), didn't think much of it.
    Last thing I heard, from a quite knowledgeable source, is that all their releases are CD sourced. :mad:

So if you see some Mutantes, Jorge Ben, Ultraje a Rigor, Legião Urbana, Titãs etc releases on that label I guess you can safely avoid it and look for original pressings. In most cases the originals are much cheaper and there are some very good pressings out there.

Their website goes on great lenghts to talk about the actual pressing of an LP, but fail almost completely at specifying their sources, only briefly mentioned a 'digital signal that is converted to analog pulse' (or something to that effect). http://polysom.com.br/

southamorican likes this.
  24. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Don't you know you're supposed to pay more for colored vinyl.

25. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I was wrong! I do have the Kevin Gray version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.