Paul McCartney 'Out There' 2013 tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mindgames, Mar 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

Paul has earned the right to play whatever he wants, however he does realize that the fans have certain expectations of the songs he's going to perform. I'm just glad to see that he still is out there doing 3 hours shows. Think about it, how much longer can we count on Paul doing any kind of tour or even release a new album for that matter?

2. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

So in other words you guys do want him to die playing the same old songs!

I understand all the emotion and love and thrills you guys are sharing, but all of that's been happening since the 80's. Is McCartney supposed to be locked in a box because of that?

I'm not asking McCartney not to play any Beatle songs, I'm just asking for less. Even the setlist up, he does about 36 songs a night, I've been saying for years, why not split the set like this...

12 Beatle songs
    12 Wings songs
    12 Solo songs

He gives his entire career equal time, and his band gets the thrill of playing a very diverse set like never before.

McCartney can mix them up anyway he wants so the crowds are hit with surprise after surprise, now I don't think that's asking too much!!

Davido likes this.
  3. 905

905 Senior Member

4. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Personally, I'd hope he would put that one on the shelf. Do two or three other songs instead!:hide:

Don't forget the PYRO!!:D

I'm hoping he comes somewhat close to me and on a day I can actually pull time to see the damn show. Houston on Wednesday is rough on my schedule and damn it, I had to pass up FREE tickets!:realmad:

5. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I guess you didn't catch the sarcasm in my post. :) I'd hoped he would have put it on the shelf years ago by now.

6. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Oh, I forgot, on the internet we all have to act disingenuous to win non-existent points and paint other posters to be in some way morally and/or intellectually inferior.

Carry on, ladies, as you were.

drivingfrog likes this.
  7. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

This is from Mark Caro of the Chicago Tribune, along with his comments.

Not the entire setlist I would want, I think his list ends the concert too slow. The show should end with a rocker, I’d choose Hi Hi Hi!

I do like some of his picks, here they are… what do you guys think?

Ultimate Paul McCartney set list by Mark Caro

Paul McCartney has been playing epic 35-plus song sets on his current baseball stadiums tour, and his July 31 and Aug. 1 Wrigley Field shows should be no different. Because he doesn't come around here so often and we have no idea when he'll be back, we thought we'd give him our dream set list, putting a premium on songs he hasn't performed recently (or ever) and those that deserve reexamination. Play these, please:

1. "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey" (1971)
    As far as I can tell, McCartney never has played this great, gloriously goofy single live, and not only would the opening "We're so sorry" set off shock waves of joy among the faithful, but imagine a stadium of 40,000 singing, "Haaannnnnnnnnds across the water (water)."

2. "Junior's Farm" (1974)
    Perhaps McCartney's finest rock single, yet he neglected it for years until recently returning it to his set. It's been the second song on this tour, which sounds right.

3. "The Night Before" (1965)
    I was going to suggest he give this piano-driven "Help!" gem its live debut at Wrigley, but then he played it July 15 at Yankee Stadium. Ah, yessss.

4. "Come Together" (1969)
    The drawback to the Paul-plays-Paul-songs approach to Beatles material is that it disregards some essential instrumental performances. "Come Together" isn't "Come Together" without McCartney's slinky bass line, and John's not around to sing it anyway.

5, 6. "Venus & Mars/Rock Show" (1975)
    "Sitting in the stands of the sports arena?" Yes, we are

7. "Jet" (1973)
    The "Rock Show"/ "Jet" segue worked beautifully on "Wings Over America," and it'll do the same here.

8. "Back in the U.S.S.R."
    (1968) It starts with a jet. Man, we're nailing those transitions now.

9. "Take It Away" (1982)
    Given the scale (and prices) of these shows, Paul should be playing with a full horn section, and it would be put to good use on the infectious chorus of this forgotten top-10 single.

10. "Arrow Through Me" (1979)
    Keep those horns on stage to blast out the coda of this single that never took off but sure has cool changes and an understated funkiness

11. "Another Girl" (1965)
    Should he play this because he's engaged to the seemingly lovely Nancy Shevell after his unfortunate coupling with Heather Mills? We'll say he should play it because it's another oft-overlooked "Help!" classic with one of his great middle-eights.

12. "Friends To Go" (2005)
    McCartney shows his continued gift for combining humor, poignancy and melody with this tale of a guy hiding as he waits for his lover's friends to take off.

13. "I'm Down" (1965)
    Now to the "Help!" single's flipside, McCartney's own version of "Long Tall Sally." It was a highlight of "The Beatles at Shea Stadium," and it'll work at Wrigley, too.

14. "Run Devil Run" (1999)
    After his wife, Linda, died, McCartney returned to the rock 'n' roll of his youth for the raw "Run Devil Run" album, the title track of which delivers 21/2 of his most ferocious minutes

15. "Oh! Darling" (1969)
    Just in case McCartney didn't give his 69-year-old pipes enough of a workout on the last two, he blows the numbers off the scoreboard with this bluesy wailer from "Abbey Road."

16, 17, 18. "Mother Nature's Son" (1968), "I Will" (1968), "Blackbird" (1968)
    Things quiet down a bit for three solo acoustic turns from the "White Album," the latter two of which McCartney is playing in sequence on this tour

19. "Put It There" (1989)
    Keep out the acoustic guitars for this charming father-son ditty from "Flowers in the Dirt."

20. "With a Little Luck" (1978)
    Here's one overdue for a live reinterpretation. Substitute some strumming guitars for the synth wash and resurrect this pretty No. 1 pop song that I don't think he's ever performed live.

21. "Band on the Run" (1973)
    Yes, he plays it all the time, but it's one of the great, compact rock epics, and this is the "On the Run" tour.

22. "Getting Closer" (1979)
    From the unjustly maligned "Back to the Egg" album, this is one of McCartney's punchiest, catchiest rock singles and deserves to be aired out even if it wasn't a big hit.

23. "Magneto and Titanium Man" (1975)
    May not be one of his all-time greats, but it's awfully fun and shows that Macca was into "The X-Men" long before the movies started.

24. "Get on the Right Thing" (1973)
    The sleeper rocker of "Red Rose Speedway" is ready to be awakened.

25. "Helen Wheels" (1973)
    Another worthy rocker from 1973 that I can't find on any previous McCartney/Wings set list. This must be rectified.

26. "So Like Candy" (1991)
    One of the best songs written by McCartney and Elvis Costello, this was recorded initially by Elvis but is yearning for Paul's clear pipes to carry it home.

28. "Sun King"/ "Mean Mr. Mustard"/ "Polythene Pam"/ "She Came in Through the Bathroom Window"/ "Golden Slumbers"/ "Carry that Weight"/ "The End"/ "Her Majesty" (1969)
    No point in stopping at "You Never Give Me Your Money" when Paul and pals can play the rest of the greatest side of music ever committed to vinyl.

27. "You Never Give Me Your Money" (1969)
    McCartney performed this "Abbey Road" standout on piano a few tours back, but a full band version should be heard in all its glory.

29. "The Long and Winding Road" (1970)
    McCartney long complained about the overbearing Phil Spector string arrangement on the Beatles' recording, yet in concert he routinely has keyboardist Paul "Wix" Wickens re-create it on synths. Let's hear the "Naked" version.

30. "Live and Let Die" (1973)
    It's been a tour chestnut for a while, but this'll be the closest Wrigley gets to an exploding scoreboard.

31. "That Day Is Done" (1989)
    Another top-notch collaboration with Costello, this gospel-tinged ballad is a fitting concert almost-closer.

32. "Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five" (1973)
    He's been playing this rousing, piano-driven "Band on the Run" closer, which makes us happy. Bring back the horns, and please don't cut short the extended climax.

33. "In My Life" (1965)
    The song provoked one of McCartney's and John Lennon's few authorship disputes. It's one of the best Beatles tracks either way and would make a wonderful, moving encore.

34. "Hey Jude" (1968)
    Yes, it's a standard -- and the greatest pop single ever released and a fine singalong to boot.

35. "Great Day" (1997)
    Linda McCartney was battling breast cancer when her husband and she recorded this optimistic look ahead. It's one of his most affecting songs and, with him coming forward to play solo acoustic guitar, strikes a perfect grace note for a triumphant night.

Davido likes this.
  8. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

I've never had the chance to see Paul live, but I am full of trepidation - Neil Young set the bench mark this year with a barn storming hard rocking tour of Australia featuring tracks from his new album, a few old favourites, a few deep cuts and 2 new, unreleased songs as well. Neil's first Melbourne show was 3 hours flat out rock n roll, long jams, lottsa feedback, great rock n roll. But Neil's only 68 so no excuses I guess, if Paul gets here he will be 71 but I don't want him here unless he's prepared to put out for the fans like Neil did. No more Hey Jude, no other ballads, I want rockers all the way!! Or stay away!!

9. bward

bward Senior Member

Boston Globe reported Monday a possible Fenway Park show this summer. This would be Paul's first Boston appearance since 2009.

somebodywhocares likes this.
  10. crimpies

crimpies Forum Resident

That is crazy, the man has written some of the greatest ballads of all time and no one in the country under 30 years old has had the chance to hear them live.

11. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Hazard, what you're asking is totally unrealistic, I love McCartneys rockers as much as anyone, but I don't exspect all rockers!

First of all McCartney is too musical to step on stage and constantly just keep the hammer down, that would be boring for him and his band, besides that what about the ladies in the audience, you know they want to hear some of his ballads.

McCartney will rock, but his shows are balanced.

12. somebodywhocares

somebodywhocares Forum Resident

The Globe is now reporting this as definitely happening on Tuesday, July 9. I saw him there in '09, which was amazing, but I'm more excited to hear some of the new songs he's added to his setlist since then. Hopefully he'll still be playing them.

http://www.boston.com/names/2013/03...fenway-park/ViV0C6bvGUbOVEc6xDqKqL/story.html

teebo911 likes this.
  13. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Which US or international markets are most overdue for an appearance? I'm talking 5+ years.

Asia
    Winnipeg
    Seattle/Portland

14. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Not too rare, he opened all shows on the Off the Ground tour with it.

15. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident Thread Starter

New added:

May 04 2013 Mineirao Stadium, Belo Horizonte
    May 06 2013 Serra Dourada Stadium, Goiania
    May 09 2013 Castelao Stadium, Fortaleza
    Jun 25 2013 Roman Amphitheatre, Verona

Plus loads of US dates coming up.

16. teebo911

teebo911 The Professor

I saw him twice in Boston back in 2002. If he plays in Boston again, I am absolutely going to go again (and with both of my daughters this time).

Anybody know what typical McCartney ticket prices are these days for good seats?

17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

$250 has been the top ticket price for prior tours - not counting VIP packages, that is...

18. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I put a call in to Paul and passed along your thoughts to him. He mulled it over for a few minutes and decided he doesn't care what you think, one way or another, and then he gave his double thumbs up. Sorry. :D

JDeanB likes this.
  19. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

I don't know if this is a result of the high ticket prices, that people are so demanding these days, that the artist has to play exactly what they want. Comments like "I want rockers all the way!! Or stay away!!" are very strange and selfish.
    When I go to a concert I avoid expectations, I don't even read set lists on the internet. So that I have that "Wow"-Feeling, when he suddenly plays "Come and get it" - as he did last time.
    He has this enormous history and many people go there because of that. So he will always play "Yesterday" - why not? But he always puts in little surprises into the shows. So have a little faith - "or stay way"...;-)

Lost Monkey and teebo911 like this.
  20. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

This guy is a genius. Great setlist. I firmly endorse.

And holy crap... Boston! I can't wait!

21. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident Thread Starter

For those who have missed it:

JDeanB likes this.
  22. bward

bward Senior Member

Nice to hear the passion in James' voice!

Seeing Paul on that upright reminds me of some of the Hamburg pictures I've seen.

Thanks for sharing. I would have easily overlooked this.

23. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I'd make a few changes, but this is very, very strong...

24. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Rpd, what changes would you make?

Anyone else have changes you'd make?

25. macca728

macca728 Forum Resident

I would add My brave face, No more lonely nights and Too much rain.

instead of I'm Down, Oh Darling and Another girl or Arrow through me

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.