OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part2)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MilesSmiles, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

That quote references using a computer to stream music by using the DAC input as a sound card. Once again, if all you want to do is access music from a drive connected to the OPPO then connect a plain old USB drive to one of the USB ports. A NAS drive is not necessary in that scenario nor is the use of a network.

2. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

It doesn't look that way.

The NAS acts as a network 'gateway' for USB devices that do not have network connections.

For your printer example - if a printer only has a USB connection - it can only direct connect to a 'host' device and is not sharable on a network, because it has no network inteface on it.

If you connect the printer to the NAS device via USB, then the NAS will do all that software interface magic for you and will share it out on your network so that the printer can now be seen as a network printer to the rest of your network.

However for the USB connection on the NAS - it doesn't look like it can be used to connect to the Oppo and be seen from the Oppo as a USB connected drive.....the NAS is a NAS - "Network" attached storage, not USB connected storage.

I could be wrong but that is what is seems like to me.

You may have to do some analyis on your network utilization...welcome to the work of system design! :D

You should be able to tap into your wireless router to see what type of utilization it is seeing - determine if you truly are sucking up all the network bandwidth for how you are using it.

The Oppo wireless ethernet interface supports up to 150 Megabits/sec (wirespeed - actual thruput will be less due to network overhead). I'm not sure what you have set up for your wireless network and what speeds it supports, nor what audio formats you wanted to use on the NAS - but you may find that you do have enough bandwidth to simply put everyone on your wireless network.

3. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

Yes, the NAS is like "a computer" but it's not running Windows, but usually a Linux variant. Most are setup for LAN / WiFi based access.

4. sacsongs

sacsongs Senior Member

I am getting close to pulling the trigger on this unit. In reference to the network capabilities of the BDP-105, I need some clarification. I will be using the unit in a 2 channel system as an audio source and networking source exclusively. I will not be hooking it up to a TV. So, I would guess that I will need a monitor attached to the Oppo to be able to view what functions I am doing on the unit? I assume I would initially have to hook it up to my TV to make the settings? I am a bit confused on this area. Excuse my ignorance....

5. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

6. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

Yes, you'll need some HDMI display capability to do the intial setup, and to do streaming media selections.

7. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

8. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

Oops, excited!

LeeS likes this.
  9. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Good oppo news

LeeS likes this.
  10. sacsongs

sacsongs Senior Member

Anyone have any opinions about the HDMI monitors on the market to accomplish this purpose?

11. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

I use mine without a monitor. Yes you will need to connect it to a monitor for initial setup. I set the player to automatically play audio discs when inserted so no monitor is necessary for playing a CD, SACD, DVD-A, etc. In addition, I use the player as a renderer and use Foobar as a controller to stream (push) music to the player via my network. Access to the network audio files is via my laptop using Foobar so no monitor is necessary in that situation either.

12. mongo

mongo Senior Member

So how do you select the various options on DVD-A, 2 channel, 5.1, MLP, DTS etc.

13. Thanks for all the input. I think you guys are right about the USB connection, and that it won't work with a NAS like I had originally planned. Time to move on.

Still, I would prefer a "wired" connection.

What about if the NAS has two Ethernet ports? Can I use one of the ethernet ports on the NAS to connect it to my network/router and the other port to connect it directly to the Oppo via Ethernet? Are those ethernet ports always bi-dircetional? Can I stream music over the ethernet connection from the NAS to the Oppo? Maybe the Oppo does not accept music data via the Ethernet port?

14. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

Those options are irrelevant to me, because like sacsongs, who posted the question about using a monitor, I am using the player exclusively in a two channel setup. In any event, all of my DVD-A discs have also been converted to two channel 24/96 FLAC which I can stream over the network to the OPPO.

15. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

I'm pretty sure the Oppo can stream music via its ethernet port - and yes, ethernet is full duplex (bi-directional).

Are you really that concerned over your network utilization that bandwidth between a NAS and the Oppo on your network would be starved?

If a NAS has two ethernet ports, then yes, you could configure them to be on separate networks 1:your current network, 2:directly connected to the Oppo (be wary - you may need a 'crossover' ethernet cable for a point to point connection since there will be no network device in-between).

That is more work.

There are USB RAID devices - which are pretty small - you could always hook it up to your PC directly for downloading new content to the Raid, then move it to connect it to the Oppo.

Not elegant, but does meet your wish to directly connect to the Oppo via USB.

16. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Has anyone loaded the new Beta firmware yet? I'm very tempted to do so, but I wanted to learn about people's experiences with it first.

17. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

Hey Roland,

One of the keys to successful streaming to the Oppo 105 or any streaming device for that matter is putting a good managed switch into your network configuration. I tried for the longest time to just use my Cisco business class router for streamining, and had dropouts when streaming 24/96 or 24/192 to my PS Audio Perfectwave DAC. As soon as I add a Cisco 300 series switch into the mix all my streaming problems faded away. I have my Synology NAS, Perfectwave DAC, 2 Airport Extreme's, and computer all going into the switch via Cat 6.

The reason I mention all this is I had the chance to have a Modwright Oppo 105 in my system for the last week. The Oppo is an amazing player with any disc you throw at it, and as a streaming device. With the addition of the new firmware, the Oppo is quickly becoming one the best players, DAC's, streamers on the market.

18. vpered

vpered Forum Resident

I updated the firmware last night and it worked fine! I played some DSF files from a USB drive, and tried the CUE file playback with FLAC. With a CUE file you get something like a virtual directory from which you select the tracks. It’s nice to have this option, but I’ll probably stick to splitting albums into individual tracks.

LeeS likes this.
  19. Ilovefooty

Ilovefooty Forum Resident

Does anyone know if the update will work on AU models? Or is it just for the US models for now?

20. crimpies

crimpies Forum Resident

Sorry if this has been asked before...

When playing audio files from a portable hard drive connected by USB to the 105, the first second or two of sound is cut off (meaning the audio starts about two seconds into the track).

I think this could be related to the "HDMI handshake" between the 105 and my receiver - is there a setting that could prevent this?

21. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Officially only for US.

Use analog, would be my only suggestion. I have not experienced the audio cut-off. Could be one of any of the HDMI devices, and/or cables in your chain.

Ilovefooty likes this.
  22. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

Denon managed to add gapless playback to their AVRs, so it makes no sense to me that Oppo (or Onkyo, for that matter) can't do something as simple as this. Even Apple finally managed to get their act together (after some years) and add this to EVERY iPod. :)

The problem with so-called "dedicated" network media players today is, few, if any, of them support HDMI, 5.1, and DSD playback.

Jeff52 likes this.
  23. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

The analogy to your ("simple as this") request is like saying "my Jeep is 4x4 and goes through 22" of water, why can't Honda make a 2013 Accord do the same thing?" Simple as that, right? The limitation you're referring to is described in my #3 reason.

Gapless playback on an iPod is nothing like gapless streaming over TCP/IP to a decoder chip.

24. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

I agree with GoldenBoy. If you are going to market a product with streaming capabilities then design it properly; i.e. to play gapless audio. To use your tool analogy the current design is like selling a hammer without a claw. I agree it is not the proper tool for the job but that is because OPPO did not properly design the tool in the first place.

25. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Terrible analogy. Almost every hammer has a claw, but zero universal disc players support the architecture to accomplish what you're asking for. Only very recent AVRs (Denon/Pioneer) from the past 6 months have gapless streaming via file playback, and even that was only enabled via recent firmware.

Maybe the architecture of the next player will support it.

Complaining about lack of gapless FLAC streaming is equivalent to complaining in April 2010 that the original iPad 1 did not support 1920x1080 native video playback because Apple "did not design it properly in the first place".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.