Any good record stores in Dallas??

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Tony Caldwell, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Tony Caldwell

Tony Caldwell Senior Member Thread Starter

I am going to be in Dallas (the one in Texas) next week.

I was curious if anyone knows of a good record store or two or three in the Dallas area.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tony

2. RandyHat

RandyHat Senior Member

Record stores in Dallas area

Forever Young Records

This is a pretty good store. I think they may have two locations. You can give them a call.

3. N25060s

N25060s Member

Tony, I'm from Dallas. Give me a little more info on what you like and I may can save you some time. For example, do you want:

Vinyl or CDs?
    If CDs, do you want new or used?
    Which decade(s) of music do you like?
    What genre of music?, etc.

I've been to almost all of them, BUT, it's been almost 2 years since I have, so unfortunately, with everything that's happened with MFSL & DCC in that time span, I won't be able to help you out with GOLD CDs.

4. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

I'll second RandyHat

I live in Arlington, so Forever Young is literally in my back yard!:D

Their selection is second to none and often there are gems to be had in their used bins for around $7.95 (single CDs); I've even picked up some used DCC gold there for around $16!

Forever Young's imports can be a bit pricey (i.e., you can get better deals over the internet), but they have a better selection of new releases, domestic and import, than the big chains.

If you're going to be in the Metroplex it would be worth your time to check them out, IMHO.

Robert (aka Cat)

joshm2286 likes this.
  5. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member

Well this is convenient, I'm actually going to be in Dallas next month visiting my son and daughter-in-law. Anyone know of any good used record sellers in the area? I found one or two places last year when I was there but I can't remember the names or locations. I'm also going to head south to spend a few days in Galveston if anyone is familiar with record stores in that area.

6. R. Cat Conrad

Dave, Forever Young sells LPs too, if that's what you mean! :D

Robert

7. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member

Thanks Cat, I'll check it out.

8. Tony Caldwell

Thanks for the help folks.

I am mainly looking for used LPs, but I swing both ways. :D CDs are ok, too. I probably have 99% of what I want and 656% of what I actually need, but I enjoy the chase none the less!

My main musical interests are classic rock (late sixties to mid seventies). Jethro Tull is my favorite. I also like Hawkwind, Rush, Lynyrd Skynyrd, CCR (thanks Steve!), Bread, Three Dog Night. Lots of stuff, really. Hey, I will even admit to liking the early Bee Gees stuff.

I am also trying to buy back (damn it) some of the eighties rock that I got rid of on LP when I lost my mind in the late eighties.

I like some older country music like Marty Robbins and Merle Haggard.

I am just getting started with jazz.

I have only been to Dallas once before around 1987. I went to a place called "Bill's" or "Bob's" if I remember correctly. It was like an old supermarket with all the aisles taken out. It was literally full of LPs, but none were priced. There was a guy (Bill? or Bob?) that sat in the middle of the store. You had to take your selections to him and he would sit down his ham sandwich and look at the front and back covers of the albums. He would think for a second and give you a price. All picture discs ended up being about $20. Average used LPs (common stuff) were around 7-10 bucks. I was pretty young then, so I may have a warped memory about this place... Does it still exist??

Thanks again!

Tony

joshm2286 likes this.
  9. R. Cat Conrad

Bill's is still around! I occasionally hear his ads on one of the classic rock stations. I don't know if his shop is in the same location or if it has moved; it's also possible he has more than one store now. To hear the ads though you'ld think he owned the biggest friggin' CD store on the planet!

Cat :p

10. N25060s

N25060s Member

Uh-oh, I'm strictly a CD guy - didn't start •seroiusly• collecting music until CDs were in full swing (can't believe I'm admitting this!). And yes, I agree with the others, FOREVER YOUNG _is_ the place to go - a big selection of vinyl and CDs. Their 2 locations are:

Arlington, TX (technically in Grand Prairie, TX) @ 2955 South Hgy. 360, basically near the intersection of Hgy. 360 & Mayfield Rd. - 972-206-2726. This is the larger of the 2 stores.
    ----------
    Irving, TX (suburb of Dallas) @ 370 Plymouth Park Shopping Center, basically near the intersection of Hgy. 183 (Airport Frwy.) and Story Rd. It's actually on Story Rd. (right hand side if going South) about 3-4 blocks South of Hgy. 183 - 972-313-0522.

Wow, your memory of BILL'S RECORDS was right on! Not only does he scrutinize the item you're buying, but, I think he looks YOU up and down to see how much you can afford. :p Naw, he's a pretty good guy, but his place is real disorganized, BUT still probably worth a visit. He's located @ 8118 Spring Valley Rd., bascially at the intersection of Spring Valley & Coit Rd. - about 2 blocks East of Coit Rd. - 972-234-1496.

There's also a place called COLLECTOR'S RECORDS. Now, this place used to be a •lot• better than it is today so I'd put this last on my list and don't make a really far, out-of-the-way trip to go there. But, if you happen to be in the N.E. section of the Dallas area, you may want to drop by. They have a medium size quantity of vinyl, but a pathetic selection of CDs. It's near the Garland, TX suburb (but technically in Dallas) @ 10616 Garland Rd. - 214-327-3313.

Well, that's all this CD guy can recommend. All the other stores are just your typical, run-of-the-mill places. Good luck and welcome to Big D.!

11. Tony Caldwell

Thanks for all the help!

I will try to make it to Forever Young and Collectors Records. If I am passing by Bill's, I might even give him another try!!

Take care, and thanks again!!

Tony

12. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

One last thought - for ANY town, village, city, hamlet, borough, whatever. I always find that the yellow pages has a bunch of stores listed. You can call first and see what they specialize in, too!

...... and ask 'em what time they are open in the morning..... I found one place that was open at TWO (2) in the afternoon! He musta had a day job!

Happy Hunting!

MAYBEIMAMAZED likes this.
  13. Audio Redneck

Audio Redneck New Member

Hey Tony!!!

Hey, since you are going to be down there, can I give you a shopping list? :D

(can you guys believe there's TWO vinyl loving audio nuts on this board from Arkansas - and from the same town at that!?)

14. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I can believe it!

I thought you two knew each other! :)

15. Audio Redneck

Audio Redneck New Member

We do know each other (actually, we used to work together 5 years ago), but I don't think we had seen or talked to each other in well over 2 years. Then I spoted his location under his name the other day and it clicked. I don't think either of us ever expected to "see" each other online, especially in an audio forum.

Its a small audio world. :)

longdist01 likes this.
  16. kevinfree

kevinfree Senior Member

Since this thread is 11 years old, and I am going to be in Dallas in a couple of weeks, I'd like to know where I might find some good places for vinyl in 2013. I am staying at the Sheraton on North Olive Street but haven't been to Dallas before so I don't know what this is close to. Any help is appreciated!

17. musicore77

musicore77 Well-Known Member

I just moved from Dallas a few months ago. Forever Young Records off 360 North and Matlock. The owner is kinda a dick.,But they have a large selection. Docs in Fort Worth actually is a bit smaller but is still fairly large. That's Docs Records Off of Camp Bowie In Fort Worth. And Bills Records in Downtown Dallas

18. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Very cool.

19. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Personally, I will not waste my time going to Bill's. A rip off - IMO. And that is all I am going to say.

Grootna and 3rd Uncle Bob like this.
  20. R. Cat Conrad

Forever Young Records! Haven't been in there in awhile, but it used to be one of the best used and import record stores in the Metroplex. No doubt it's still a great place to shop and worth the drive over just to see the juke box front entrance. That door should be one of the eight wonders of the rock 'n roll world! :righton:

Here's the website, with map directions in the listing...

http://www.foreveryoungrecords.com/

21. musicore77

Oh yeah? Well have you been there lately? It's changed. Because of a heavy black population in demand I suppose. They favor mostly R&B and Hip Hop stuff. And the guy who runs it Dave has become such a prick . Shortly after my honeymoon. My wife and I drove to Texas from Louisiana. We shopped in his store and bought 400.00 worth of Beatles albums. Happy day! That's when I first started my Beatles Vinyl collection. One day I went back there to purchase some Stones. I found a copy of Between The Buttons for 19.99 & brought it up to the counter. When I did he said wait, this has been changed. It's suppose to be 29.99. said oh? He then starts accusing me of changing the price. I said hey, don't you remember me? I Bought those Beatles records. He said I'm not going to sell you this Record as it's been altered., and I think you did it. I said you just lost a great customer then. I never will go back.

Grootna and 3rd Uncle Bob like this.
  22. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

If you are also interested in CDs, CD Source is just north on 75 from your hotel, and they have a good used CD selection. They just started carrying vinyl over the last couple of years, so their stock isn't that great.

23. musicore77

Docs Records off of Camp Bowie DR. Exit Camp Bowie. off 820S. in Ft. Worth is not that huge. But they have good stuff for a good price. They have cds, loads of vinyl and tapes. Plus, they are cool there.

artfromtex likes this.
  24. kevinfree

kevinfree Senior Member

Thanks for the help, everyone!

musicore77 likes this.
  25. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I can recommend Doc's. Nice people and fair prices.

Golden Richards and musicore77 like this.