Journey to the End of the Night (Mekons, Neko Case and Sadies content)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Davey, Mar 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davey

Davey NP: Brian Eno ~ Ambient 4: On Land (1982 LP) Thread Starter

How's that title for truth in advertising? Many fans of the Mekons? Just got the new Neko Case record, and was just talking to someone about the Sadies latest New Seasons (which I need to track down), who are kind of connected with both Neko and Mekons, so had to pull out one of my favorites of the last 10 years or so by Mekons. Great band with a long and rich history. They have a couple 80s records that are highly celebrated, and I think Fear and Whiskey got the remaster treatment a few years back, but Journey to the End of the Night is one of those records that's always a treat. Doesn't smack you and say how great it is, but would be high on my list to replace if somehow lost. One of those rare albums I could listen to most of the day without feeling any overwhelming urge to play something else. Just a really nice groove, familiar and accessible, but full of spirit and discovery. Populated with real characters, sometimes shadowed in mystery or cloaked in darkness, but living and breathing as their adventures unfold. This is a much more hushed Mekons than in the past. More mature, yet still provocative. One of the main things about it that so endears it to me is the overall flow of both music and ideas. Sometimes the songs seem almost interconnected, though not linearly or literally. Maybe through a recurring melodic fragment or tone or mood. Even in the liner notes the lyrics for each song are tied together with sometimes lengthy narratives. Very nice album, and probably their most vocally rich one with Neko Case, Edith Frost and Kelly Hogan adding backing vocals behind Sally Timms, Jon Langford, Tom Greenlaugh and Rico Bell. Plus it dates back to 2000 on Quarterstick Records so you still have to crank up the volume on the CD. Don't think it made it to LP though.

http://www.touchandgorecords.com/bands/album.php?id=37#

2. ATR

ATR Senior Member

One of the best rock shows I ever saw was Mekons at Nightstage in Cambridge, MA. Must have been in the mid-late 80's, probably touring behind Rock and Roll. Fell in love with Sally Timms. I saw them at T.T.'s and Middle East, also in Central Sq. Cambridge. Still a fan, but I don't think they ever did anything better than So Good It Hurts, Rock and Roll, or the curse of the Mekons. I think they were just too intelligent and too adult for most rock audiences, even though they would probably consider that an insult. Last I heard they were playing museums as part of art exhibits. Great, great band indeed.

3. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Bump.....

After many years I still struggle to love the latter day Mekons records. Everything post-Retreat From Memphis (which is the last in a string of records starting with Fear and Whiskey that I adore unreservedly) has struck me as pleasantly rustic, yet somehow lacking the earlier fire, subversiveness, and laugh-out-loud humor. Believe me, I'm still trying to change my mind about it. I listened to Journey earlier this morning and liked it okay. It was a good move to have Neko guest on the album, and "City of London" really stood out as a great track.

4. manicpopthrill

As usual, the Mekons can't get arrested.....

Any Mekons fans from the UK? Ireland? the Continent? Anywhere?:p

I love Langford's solo records and the Waco Brothers too. I heard the Three Johns years ago, but need to try em again.

5. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I really love Neko Case and like The Sadies quite a bit. I have all of her LPs and most of The Sadies. So glad most of their stuff is on vinyl too!

Also love Langord and his Waco Brothers! So why don't I have anything from The Mekons?! Better get on that.

dan c

6. manicpopthrill

You owe it to yourself. :wave:

7. farmingdad

farmingdad Forum Resident

So how is the Mekons discovery progressing? (really just a bump for the Mekons as I search for Neko Case vinyl recco's

8. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Wow, totally slipped off my radar after this thread went down! :thumbsdow I just looked them up on MOG figuring I'd give them a try today, but no sign of them anywhere! That might be the first time that's happened on MOG. Hmm.

The downloads are cheap and cheerful on Amazon so I should go that route.

No idea why I didn't follow up! It was near xmas, when I'm usually cutting myself off from buying anything. That could have something to do with it.

I'll get on it, I promise! Thanks for the reminder. :cheers:

dan c

9. I'd say the run from "Fear & Whiskey" up through & including "Retreat From Memphis" can stand up against any great run in the history of modern music. After that I think they've released one more album that is that great, & that would be "Journey To The End Of The Night". Besides "Journey To The End Of The Night" the rest of the albums have had great moments but been sort of good to very good albums. They are still fine albums, but I agree that with one exception they just haven't quite been in that same league of wonder overall.

10. manicpopthrill

I did a double take when you said MOG didn't have anything. I just did a search and there's more than 20 albums available. Maybe try searching again? Good luck.

11. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

What the heck? Apparently if you type 'The' in there it won't show up. In my foggy morning brain I was sure it was 'The Mekons'. :crazy: Welp happily you're right, they're very well represented on MOG. Got something to listen to later today! :agree:

dan c

12. manicpopthrill

Did you ever find out if you like the Mekons?

I'm listening to the later albums again today. I still don't love 'em as much as the '84-'94 era, but they continue to grow on me.

13. manicpopthrill

I won't blame you if they didn't stick. I realize they're an acquired taste. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.