Honky Tonk Women*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Raylinds, Apr 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer Thread Starter

There has always been something special about this song for me. I loved it from the first time I heard it, and no many how many times I listen to it, I never get sick of it. When that opening riff starts, it just gets me going. Oh, and plenty of cowbell. I love the Stones, but I am by no means a rabid fan. But I have to admit they knocked this one out of the park.

One of the greatest R & R songs of all time IMHO (though the list is rather long). Anybody in agreement?

2. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I think it highlights what they do best. Cool meter, deceptively intricate arrangements and a studied sloppiness. I’ve been hung up on Tumbling Dice for a while

joethomas1 and Goatman like this.
  3. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Easily my all-time favorite Stones song.

4. TonyR

TonyR Forum Resident

One of a trilogy for me, along with "Brown Sugar" and "Tumbling Dice". Some of my favorite records in rock.

jupiterboy and lv70smusic like this.
  5. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Coolest song ever.

6. on7green

on7green Senior Patron

Not to be picky but song title is Honky Tonk Women and I've always liked it. But prefer Country Honk off Let It Bleed LP.

davmar77 likes this.
  7. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Great song but I think Ry Cooder deserves much of the credit.

Goatman likes this.
  8. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer Thread Starter

D'oh!!!!!!

9. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Great song. My favorite sounding version is the London Hot Rocks 2 CD. That opening drum hit is thunderous on that one.

10. guppy270

guppy270 Forum Resident

It IS a great song, but it took me a long time to warm up to it, for a fairly stupid reason, lol. I was a HUGE Stones fan as a kid....by age 12 I had most of their LPs/cassettes, a bunch of books about them, a fancy hardcover lyrics book, etc etc. I loved 'em. But the line in "HTW" : "she blew my nose and then she blew my mind" grossed me out as a kid...not because of the double entendre, but just because the thought of the girl blowing his nose for him really bugged me, lol. It took me quite a long time to get passed that, and truth be told if I had to make a Top 20 Stones songs playlist, HTW may not make the cut. The drumming is certainly killer though.:)

11. throbbin tower

throbbin tower Forum Resident

They did nail it on that one. It's very well recorded...that drum sound still holds up!

12. McLover

McLover Senior Member

And I'd put Honky Tonk Women as the best sounding Stones 45 ever. This is how they should have sounded all along.

supermd and Michael Bohannon like this.
  13. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

First song i ever heard by The Stones, one of the truly great rock songs.

14. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Its the cowbell. It's always the cowbell that gets ya.

Classicolin, vonwegen and sami like this.
  15. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

More cowbell!

16. Gomper

Gomper Forum Resident

I concur, Raylinds. For me, it will always be one of the top 3 RnR songs of all time. Love the way Charlie's drums kick in after the cowbell... and then Keith's guitar lick is so great. Plus, I was only 3 or 4 when my brother was playing the 45 over and over. So it really has a great nostalgic factor for me... in addition to being a fantastic song. Its a shame that whenever the Stones play it live, it barely sounds like the same song. Keith seems so disinterested in playing it these days. I guess that's what happens after 40+ years.

throbbin tower likes this.
  17. This is the song where their country influence started coming out, and marks the point where the Stones started becoming "Stonsey".

18. throbbin tower

throbbin tower Forum Resident

For sure...even by the '77 Love You Live, it sounds like a shadow of it's former self..:shake:

19. Gomper

Gomper Forum Resident

I do like the live Mick Taylor version from YaYas... very different, but very good. You're right though..... by 1977, it lacked a lot of its luster.

vonwegen likes this.
  20. sami

sami Mono still rules

Just think about this staggering group of singles released by one band in a 4-5 year stretch ('68 - '72):

"Honky Tonk Women"
    "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
    "Brown Sugar"
    "Wild Horses"
    "Tumblin' Dice"
    "Street Fighting Man"
    "Happy"
    "Sympathy For The Devil"
    "All Down The Line"
    "Rocks Off"

And I'm sure I missed a couple.

vonwegen, Vidiot and Goatman like this.
  21. sami

sami Mono still rules

Maybe so, but one of my favorite moments of that album is Keith playing the intro right out of the over the top "Fanfare...." opening.

22. jmrife

jmrife Wife. Kids. Grandkids. Dog. Music.

I know that story, too.

23. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

One of the greatest, raunchiest, rock 'n' roll songs, and it was #1 on the charts in both the US and UK!

24. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

Started?!?

They always demonstrated a love for country-ish songs, from their take on Hank Snow's "I'm Movin' On' to "It's All Over Now" to "High And Dry" on "Aftermath"...just to name a few that pre-dated HTW by literally years.

25. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

A truly great song. I remember my cousin and I playing the 45 over and over again when it first came out. I still am not tired of the song today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.