Honky Tonk Women*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Raylinds, Apr 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goatman

Goatman New Member

I love the saxophones during the ride...

2. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Yes indeed and Gone Dead Train as well. The greatest tone and attitude . I just wish he still played like that.

3. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Great track but still edged out for me by Jumpin' Jack Flash which I believe is Keith's favourite Stones track as well.

Fullbug likes this.
  4. chacha

The 45 totally kicks on this. . So much more power than the stereo version

5. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Monkey Man.
    You Can't Always Get What You Want.
    Its Only Rock N' Roll.

6. Ironbelly

Ironbelly Forum Resident

In what universe IORR was released within 1968-1972?
    What single has MM?:hide:

7. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

My Bad. Was just thinking songs he missed off the top of my head. Oops, been a long day.
    To err is human, please forgive.

8. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

One of Jagger's finest moments. Sleazy and groovy.

9. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

That and Tumbling Dice. He really likes that one.

10. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

The Stones are my 4th favorite rock act of alltime but Honky Tonk Woman is such an overplayed, tired cliche that it's probably the only Stones song I immediately would change the channel for when it comes on.

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm not even a Stones fan, and even I have to admit there's a lot of great, classic songs there that I'm still not sick of hearing.

sami likes this.
  12. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Sympathy for the Devil wasnt a single. Not in the UK or US anyway. And the rest are just album tracks. Only JJF and HTW were stand alone singles. It was also the last (was it?) stand alone single from them , ending the old British notion of (predominantly) no singles on LP's ethic. Also the B side was rather good too.

13. Gregorio

Gregorio Forum Resident

Great song, great intro. Great instrumental break. I love what Keith is doing while Mick is singing the verses. A great singalong arena chorus.... A track that had grown on me, i used to think it was a simple blues-influenced tune. Actually is very intrincate. Country Honk is a classic, too. Love that fiddle!!

14. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Played by none other than Jimmy Miller. Makes the song!

15. sami

sami Mono still rules

Yeah, it seems that most of them were at most B-sides, or obscure singles in certain countries in Europe.

Well, my post seemed like a good idea at the time, but in true SHTV fashion, the spirit is killed by the details. Damn those annoying details!

16. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Well, to be accurate, it was released as a single, but in 2003.

17. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer Thread Starter

I thought I remembered him giving some credit to Ry in "Life". Thanks for posting that.

18. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer Thread Starter

This thread is reminding me of how many great songs the Stones came out with- Jumpin' Jack Flash, Sympathy for the Devil, Gimme Shelter, Brown Sugar, Tmblin' Dice, It's Only Rock N' Roll...

Damn, I'm going to have to get the vinyl box sets. All I have on vinyl now is Hot Rocks.

MRamble likes this.
  19. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I understand the distinction you're making with regard to non-LP singles, but to say "Brown Sugar," "Wild Horses," "Tumblin' Dice," "Street Fighting Man" and "Happy" were "just album tracks" because they happened to appear on contemporaneous albums is to miss the point.

They were released as singles with intent — the intent of getting played on Top 40 radio. In this era, there was still a very definite distinction between Top 40 and "underground" or "album-oriented" radio, and the sales these songs racked up as singles were hardly insignificant (though I realize some of them were more successful than others in that regard).

20. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

I grant you Brown Sugar was a definite deliberate statement - right from the opening lick - as big an impact as JJF was 2 years earlier - but Street Fighting Man for example was US only single (and a different underproduced take at that). It did get a go in 1971 in the UK but that effort 3 years later kinda goes with the rest of them - yes they are A list songs but they were released, I feel, simply to garner more revenue. The Stones of the 70's did not have the same 'ethics' (is that the right word - attitude? maybe) towards themselves - it was rapidly becoming a business and revenue streams were being identified and the business model(s) were forming. Mick the 'business man' had taken over. But then again they were probably sick of being poor and being ripped off - LZ were doing the same thing after all - Mick was the Stones' Peter Grant.

21. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Well sure they were. I'm not certain when releasing a single does NOT have this purpose. And remember than this was still an era when a successful AM radio hit could lead to increased album sales that might not have been quite as robust without it. (And I realize I'm speaking of the US market here — perhaps it was different in other countries where radio worked differently.)

As I noted, some of those singles were more successful than others — "Street Fighting Man" stiffed in the US, partly due to its being banned by most stations as too incendiary in light of the still-recent riots at the Democratic National Convention in Chicago.

How were these "ethics" markedly different from the pre-70s Stones? Do you see them as somehow more "pure" in those days? Granted, they formed their own label for greater control, but I can't imagine a time when they weren't interested in "revenue streams." There was certainly nothing new about releasing singles in the US in the hope that they would succeed in their own right, while also goosing album sales.

22. chacha

What I 'm mystified by is how did I think for 45 years that the song was called Honky Tonk Woman rather than Women? This is a Twilight Zone moment for me.

ganma likes this.
  23. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

You can fade out the spooky music now: #36

24. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Greatest example of Keith knowing when "not" to play.

25. CaptainOzone

CaptainOzone On Air Cowbell

Great song, so many memories go with it for me.
    It's the Stones at the top of their game, a plateau they danced on for at least a dozen years.
    The first tap of the intro brings instant recognition and pulls you right in, they sure knew how to put a record together.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.