REVIEW: Record Doctor V Record Cleaning Machine from Audio Advisor

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by action pact, Apr 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore Thread Starter

Well, having cleaned the first few records last night with my brand new Record Doctor V, I'm happy to report that it works as advertised! LPs come off the vacuum with a nice glossy surface and play with none of the "first-play crackle" that seems to be a part of the Spin-Clean experience.

I'm still fine-tuning my user technique, but turning the disc slowwwly over the vacuum definitely brings the best results. I have no significant issues with how easily discs spin, and I have no need to buy the upgraded KAB platter.

I have yet to try it with REALLY dirty records, which is one area in which the Spin-Clean excels. If it can match the Spin-Clean's performance on thrift store records - and if I can get it to work with 45s (which I believe it will, but haven't yet tried) - then my Spin-Clean will likely end up in the Classifieds.

In short, assuming that it's built to last, I declare Audio Advisor's Record Doctor V a very worthwhile purchase for $199. I do not see any real advantages over the more expensive RCM's aside from the powered turntable on the VPI and the like, which is not worth the extra $$ for my needs.

[​IMG]

2. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I have had one for ten years or so. It is still going strong. Replace the nitty gritty soft bits regularly. I really appreciate being able to control the rotation speed. I do have some issues with the bearing on which the disc floats. It seems to get jammed up with that rubber o-Ring.

3. action pact

That sounds vaguely obscene, LOL.

I haven't compared the different versions, but I suspect that the bearing problems were addressed in this latest version.

4. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I might have to call and check that out.

5. action pact

A possible solution for you is the KAB Gliding Platter ($15, www.kabusa.com): "Original roller bearing assisted replacement platter. Makes hand turning very easy. For all manual rotation cleaners."

6. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Sold. I need supplies anyway.

action pact likes this.
  7. JakeLA

JakeLA Senior Member

I bought one of those KAB things, it didn't make a bit of difference on my machine

8. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

They don’t show a picture. How is it designed?

9. naru1980

naru1980 Forum Resident

I bought this a month or two ago, and I'm loving it. Haven't used my Spin-Clean since. I like to use the Audio Intelligent Formula 15 cleaner on the first pass, then the Formula 6 on a second pass. This seems to do the trick for really dirty vinyl. Also the brush that came with the RDV is virtually useless, so I use a few Mofi brushes.

Yeah, I like how you can control the speed (I also go very slow on dirty vinyl), but also how you can apply fluid to one side as the other side is being vacuumed. It's a nice time saver.

How do you change the "nitty gritty soft bits" and where would one purchase them? Also, I didn't see a link to the KAB platter on that website.

10. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

KAB site is, well, the KAB site. Any place that sells Nitty Gritty usually has the adhesive soft patch that sits around the suction slot. You don’t want sand or grit getting in that, so peeling it off and replacing is an easy was to keep that from damaging the records.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NGVSKFI&gclid=CImU-eyhxbYCFUOe4Aodf3EAMA

11. naru1980

naru1980 Forum Resident

Nice, thanks.

Before each cleaning, I take a toothbrush to the soft patch and scrub it a bit with the vacuum on to get any dirt out of it. I do the same to my Mofi brushes. Now, what do I use to clean the toothbrush? ;)

12. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

It's like a lazy Susan bearing.

image.jpg

(Not my pic)

13. blakep

blakep Senior Member

Just to clarify, the parts linked to above are for Nitty Gritty machines featuring the fluid pump. For the more basic Nitty Gritty models, the Record Doctor and the KAB EV1, the velvet strip kit/strips are slightly different.

Not sure about the Audio Advisor site but if you go to the KAB site and go to the record cleaner page and scroll down to Record Cleaner Parts and Accessories the two different vac sweep kits are listed for sale there.

jupiterboy likes this.
  14. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Much larger than the original.

CAUTION: It is easy to bump the underside of the record on the corners of this cleaner if the record goes off balance. I have put felt dots on the corners as a modification, and I would highly recommend everyone do this.

mikeyt likes this.
  15. action pact

That's quite similar to the bearings on the RD-V.

16. naru1980

naru1980 Forum Resident

Someone in the comments for the RDV review on Analog Planet suggested getting this small upgrade direct from KAB: KAB GLIDING PLATTER +
    Scroll down until you see it: http://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/rcleaner.htm

Replaces the bottom platter and apparently keeps it level, killing the wobble which is the only downside to this unit. I'm going to order one.

17. Progmeister

Progmeister Member

Great machine for the money and included fluid I would say is as good as miracle clean fluid.

18. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Works well.

19. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

I've had mine for a couple of months now and the only complaint I had with it was the way a record would wobble when on the oem platter. Just took delivery of the KAB gliding platter and bearing. This upgrade fixed this issue completely. Very happy with the RD-V now.

20. action pact

Rather than apply the fluid and scrub the record while it is on the RD, I'm now placing the record down on a microfiber cloth on a table and cleaning it there, before vacuuming. That allows me to really scrub the record much more thoroughly, and it has improved my results.

21. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

I place the record on a spare rubber platter mat as the scrubbing station then place it on the RD-V to vacuum.

22. action pact

A hard surface like a rubber mat might grind the dirt on the underside deeper into the groove while you scrub the top side. That's why I use the towel.

23. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

I've got the manual nitty gritty Record Doctor III from Audio Advisor, and lately it is getting harder and harder to manually turn an LP without it slipping - I really have to push down harder and it's wearing me out.

Any idea what might need replacing?

24. action pact

I'm having the same problem with my RD V. The rubber is losing its grip. I spin the disc by its edge now.

marblesmike likes this.
  25. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

So the two rubber pieces that sandwich the LP can be replaced?

tonesteroc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.