In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida drum solo

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by white wolf, Apr 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NO not a single but the short studio version vs. the live Wheels of Fire three day version... That is what I meant.

2. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

ponkine likes this.
  3. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Inna Gada Da Vida was the most famous (and infamous) as was already said prior to me. And it was the best IMO as a drummer. I can still play it.

4. blehman

blehman Forum Resident

How about Peter Riviera of Rare Earth, and the extended solo on the "long" version of Get Ready?

Solo starts at about 16:40

Whoops saw that someone beat me to it!!!!!

RockWizard and rockclassics like this.
  5. Isn't Wipeout considered the original in terms of rock and roll?

junk likes this.
  6. One Louder

One Louder Well-Known Member

The drum and percussion breaks in Frankenstein and Funk #49.

junk likes this.
  7. throbbin tower

throbbin tower Forum Resident

Deep Purples' "The Mule", along with many others mentioned...I think they're all children of "In-A-Gadda"

ponkine likes this.
  8. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

janschfan likes this.
  9. ronton99

ronton99 Forum Resident

The thing abut the Inna Gada Da Vida drum solo is that it is "hooky".
    I was a kid when it came out and I can remember a several of us drumming the whole thing in unison on our desk tops in grade school.
    It's memorable enough and musical enough to be able to remember it and recreate it.
    I can't think of another drum solo, of any appreciable length, where this is the case.

As a teenager I was a drummer, but I always took a bathrom break during drum solos at concerts back then - they were usually a drummer's ego trip and not very musical or interesting.
    AND, probably most importantly, they were a chance for the rest of the band to take a break...

MikeM and Mister Charlie like this.
  10. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Funky Drummer - James Brown

Give the drummer some!

smokeverbs likes this.
  11. jimsumner

jimsumner Senior Member

The Grateful Dead and the Allman Brothers Band have more than can be counted.

Then again, many of these incorporate two drums, so parts of these would be more properly labeled drum duos.

I don't know what we do with "Tusk."

12. throbbin tower

I've worked with quite a few drummers, and not one of them liked doing solos. They all hated playing "Wipe Out" too....luckily it was just weekend cover bands, so not a lot of call for solos...One drummer was whining about "Wipe Out" [people love dancing to that], so I said "Hey, I [guitar player] have to do "Johnny B Goode", which is the "Wipe Out" of guitar, so suck it up buttercup". :D

Mister Charlie likes this.
  13. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

The only one that comes close, in terms of fame, it the drum break in Wipe Out.

14. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

Every Hungry Woman - The Allman Brothers Band (great drum solo) 1969
    Elizabeth Reed - The Allman Brothers Band (yet another good solo from The Allmans)
    Dave Brubek - Unsquare Dance

15. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I think the OP's point was that the drum solo was a lot more common in live performance than it was on a studio recording.

Still, it did happen. One not mentioned yet: "Elijah" from Spirit's debut album (Ed Cassidy).

16. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I agree 1000%. The ONLY drummer I ever saw amongst all the concerts I've seen over the years who did a drum solo such as this was, of all people, Fito de la Parra of Canned Heat. And that was actually in a small club gig rather than a concert.

He never once dropped the beat of the song that led into his solo, but kept it going the whole time and played off against it à la Joe Morello. Hence, it's the only drum solo I've ever heard that has ever done anything for me. All the rest featured random bashing whose sole purpose had nothing to do with musicality or furthering the song, and everything to do with making the stoners in attendance go "Far out, man!"

throbbin tower likes this.
  17. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I can think of one occasion when the scales tipped from the uninteresting to the pathetic.

Anyone remember Frosty, Lee Michaels' drummer? The guy weighed at least 3oo lbs., and during the "drum solo" I heard him play he not only abandoned all pretense of keeping the beat — he also abandoned his drumsticks...using the back of his bare hand to savagely thrash his snare drum...repeatedly, and harder and harder each time.

Of course, the bozos in the crowd egged him on with each successive thwack — "C'mon, fat boy...hurt yourself again for us!"

18. throbbin tower

I saw Mountain in a very small theater back in '04 or '05, and Corky Laing did the best solo I've ever heard...it was brief :thumbsup: and his toms were tuned so perfectly, it was melodic...I mean specific notes could be heard...like a song unto itself.

19. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

Is this only in regards to rock music or all of recorded music? I've got a vinyl rack full of jazz albums with insane drum solos.

ggergm likes this.
  20. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Herewith, the only recorded drum solo worth hearing:

On the skins: T-Bone Burnett.

21. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

I know of no more copied solo than the one from In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida. Nor one more parodied.

22. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

We used to do that with Wipeout when I was in grade school.

23. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Sly & The Family Stone "Sex Machine":

24. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Santana "Soul Sacrifice":

25. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Great falling-down-the-stairs-with-your-drum-kit solo. Other elements of the record may be considered even more fun. :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.