In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida drum solo

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by white wolf, Apr 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

He did. And one time he met one of the members of Iron Butterfly and said "Tell your drummer I borrowed his solo."

throbbin tower likes this.
  2. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I've forgotten the circumstances or who was involved, but I remember playing this years ago for someone who had never heard it, and he/she burst out in hysterical laughter when the Ledge's trumpet came in immediately following the drum solo.

It was a gratifying moment, and much preferable to other times when this record was instead greeted with "What the hell is that?"

3. janschfan

janschfan Senior Member

One of the funniest movies ever!! Ball Of Fire, with Barbara Stanwyck, Gary Cooper, Dana Andrews....and the great Gene Krupa!

4. bellbrass

bellbrass Forum Resident

I think this thread has digressed from "drum solos on famous / hit songs" into "favorite drum solos." As far as hit songs, there are very few: "In A Gadda Da Vida" is one, although it's never heard on commercial radio these days. Ringo's short solo on "The End" is another. "Take 5" was a legitimate hit, with a solo section of drums and bass. I'm a fan of hit songs with cool drum intros, of which there are many - "I Don't Live Today," by Jimi Hendrix with Mitch Mitchell laying it down, "Walk This Way," with Joey Kramer's cool intro, and Gary Mallaber's memorable and hook-laced intros to "Swingtown" and "Take the Money & Run," both of which were bona-fide hits by the Steve Miller Band. Anyway - sticking to the topic, there are plenty of great songs with drum breaks or solos, but not many made it into the top 25.

5. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The drums/timbales tradeoff on Edgar Winter's "Frankenstein" is pretty cool.

junk and throbbin tower like this.
  6. bellbrass

bellbrass Forum Resident

Still one of my favorite songs; love the breaks with Chuck Ruff (drum kit) and Edgar Winter (timbales / cowbells)!

junk likes this.
  7. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

far from the only studio drum solo,and as much as I dislike drum solos over 3 min, that(In a Gada) was one of the best.

8. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

The trouble is, the OP never specified "hit songs" — nor did he say anything about the top 25.

He said "widely known" and "famous," and those terms are somewhat subjective (i.e., a song that might be reasonably described as "widely known" here might not have that designation for the general public).

I don't think it's a great crime that we've branched out a little.

9. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

ya' had to have cowbells in the 70's! I think it was mandatory.

10. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it in the forum a while back now, but my high school marching band recreated the In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida drum solo to march into the football stadiums for games every week. It was perfect for all those same reasons you mentioned -- plus gave us a recognizable and memorable entrance that even the opposing schools liked.

11. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

AMEN! And directed by the (al)mighty Howard Hawks, one of the best directors ever! Great movie, and, being rather young when I first watched it, I was awestruck by Krupa's playing and his antics, he was a great showman too; All Hail Krupa! :angel:

ralphb likes this.
  12. viper66

viper66 Forum Resident

I didn't get a chance to look through the whole thread, But if not already mentioned,Don Brewer did/Does a very cool solo with Grand Funk called Mark say's alright.

Technically John Bonham's Moby Dick is superior..but Brewer can kick out those triplets every bit as fast and powerful as Bonham.
    He does a killer drum solo on the remastered Caught in the act.

Also, Let's not forget Floyd Sneed from Three Dog Night.
    He always did a unique & Rythmic solo in concert on that clear Zicko's drum kit..Another underrated drummer!

13. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

You are forgiven this time, but you really do want to be careful about making such SERIOUS missteps (choke, choke...heavy sigh of complete exasperation that you would actually be called on this). Heck, I knew what you meant right away.

14. jimsumner

jimsumner Senior Member

I'm not much of a drum solo fan. But some of the stuff on Paul Simon's Rhythm of the Saints really works for me.

15. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Ah yes, the immortal Babs! :righton:

16. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Frankenstein is a mess. I always think that song could be 2 minutes shorter without it.

17. varispeed

varispeed what if?

In the context of the op, pre 1969, I remember the world of long drum solos on records .. and the world of long drum solos in concerts.

For records...to me, what Don Casale captured on the studio version of In A Gadda was REALLY REALLY good sonically.. SONICALLY. I didn't generally hear "drums" sounding anywhere that good until 1972 or 1973. Dunno what Don did at that session, but the SOUND of the drums is REALLY REALLY GOOD imo !!! (er.. did I say that already).

As others mentioned, Ringo did rip off the solo for his bit on the later "The End" and admitted it back then. To me, the SONICS on the Beatle track are pretty much not very good... although I personally did not like the sonics on much of ANY of their June 1967 stuff onward.. another topic I guess.

Pull up the Ringo "The End" track on Youtube and flip back and forth to the drum solo on "Ina Gadda".... back and forth.... ain't the sonics of "Ina" REALLY REALLY GOOD??? Yes, they are.... maybe they had bath towels on each drum.. dunno.. sounds great though. The Beatle drum solo is , in comparison, sorta flabby, roomy, and transistory sounding to me....... never mind... another topic.

But wow... those Ina Gadda drums sorta sailed to the top of one's list of "cool 1968 sounds".

In concert in 1967... I don't remember many drum solos. I remember The Union Gap drummer (Paul whatshisname) doing a sort of long drum solo on a Gary Puckett show in 1967.. he was really good.....way better than when he was doing Fortune Teller in the Hard Times.... and Gary was actually really good on guitar... cooking band with a drum solo.... in 1967 no less.

I remember the Robbs doing a drum solo in something or other in mid 1967.

Other than that, I don't remember many concert drum solos until they came into vogue a year or two later.

I saw Cream in early 68 and.. I dunno... that was sort of three guys soloing through the entire show... wasn't very enjoyable for me.

I'm wracking my memory to see if I can dredge up an earlier concert than 1967 where there was a drum solo... there must've been a few... I was going to concerts at least twice a week from 1964 onward .... haha... have I perhaps forgotten a Dave Clark Five drum solo somewhere in there?

Oh, by the way... regardless of the fact that EVERYONE can tap it out...aren't those drums in Ina Gadda just the COOLEST sounding things?????

18. old school

old school Senior Member

Ginger Baker recorded Toad long before In A gadda Da Vida! Let's not forget Gene Krupa's Stompin At The Savoy from the late 1930s?

19. wayved

wayved Guest

I was like 7 years old or something and I heard this. My dad taped it for me and bought me some early drum practice stuff. I was totally impressed. by todays standards its nothing but back then it must have been really cool. I always dug that album. The album cover alone is solid gold.

I remember I was record shopping at my favorite place one day and this dude came in with two very attractive women, He asked the clerk if they had IN A GADDA DA VIDA by Iron Butterfly...They did not have it. for some stupid ass reason (i was actually pretty close with the clerks then) I overheard this and said "I will hook you up--just wait"
    Luckily I lived like five minutes away from the record store--grabbed my copy of it from home, drove back and gave him my copy. He thanked me.
    I hope whatever happened that night was positive for all involved. I cant believe I did that.

20. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Blind Faith - "Do What You Like"!

Also, not a drum solo per se, but one of my favorite drum performances ever was Steve Gadd's killer turn on Steely Dan's "Aja".

21. varispeed

varispeed what if?

Sorry, but in 1967, we kids were not allowed to acknowledge musicians over the age of 30. It was the law. Come to think of it, wouldn't Ginger Baker have also been over thirty then?

22. wayved

wayved Guest

painful fact for all of us rock lovers: jazz drum solos were going on WAY before any of this in a gadda da vida BS,

23. wayved

wayved Guest

You have a King Crimson avatar. This does not make sense mate. Larks Tounges in Aspic? I figured you had more fortitude than that. I would never insult you man.

24. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Actually, it was T.N.U.C.

25. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Shiny Dog

Cheap Trick - Ain't That A Shame. Great drum solo intro. People used to drum this on their desks in High School.

junk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.