New Moody Blues boxset for 2013 (12 CDs)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Craig Williams, Nov 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

so you like the Moody Blues but don't own any of there music ,yet you are jumping into this expensive set ,which you might not even like?

2. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I'd say you're wasting your money, and you should just stick with the core 7 albums for way cheaper.

3. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

That's right ... except I don't know whether I like The Moody Blues. :shh: I've never heard much.

I had also never owned any Family before buying the Family boxed set, or any Blue Oyster Cult before buying the BOC boxed set. Even more oddly, I really like Pink Floyd yet have none of their boxed sets ...

4. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

you could get most of them for the price of this set

5. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

One thing to keep in mind is that if you get the box set and love it, you'll want the full albums, especially the "core 7". The box does not include the entire albums, just highlights. I'd get the core 7 cds, or at least a few of them and see what you think. Then pick up the box later if you want - it's sure to drop in price in a few months or so, no need to rush out and buy it, I wouldn't think. I just don't think this set will sell that well and like I said before, this box has "PopMarket.com" written all over it! ;)

Hep Alien likes this.
  6. Buy Days of Future Passed and least it at that.

Sordel likes this.
  7. nbakid2000

Dude, just get Children's Children and Threshold of a Dream to start off with. Then move on to the others.

GinGin, Sordel and jsayers like this.
  8. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Agree. These ego exercises rarely sell. Look at the dropped prices on all of the Pink Floyd super-duper deluxe editions.

9. jsayers

Hey - my two favorite MB albums! :righton:

10. nbakid2000

My 2 top favorite albums of all time. :goodie:

jsayers likes this.
  11. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Hopefully the Bluejays gig will be sold by itself eventually...like ELP did with their 1972 Puerto Rico show from the BTB box.

Hep Alien, stevemoss and nbakid2000 like this.
  12. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Well, I don't come here for advice just to ignore it, so I've cancelled my order for the boxed set. :sigh: Thanks for the "intervention" guys. :p

Hep Alien, nbakid2000 and jsayers like this.
  13. joachim50

joachim50 Forum Resident

You are too easily influenced/manipulated by others!

And btw:SIX(!!) of the seven "CORE" albums are included in this box in(surround)stereo!!

14. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Yes ... and in knowing this about myself I decided to hang onto my cash, since I'm sure that someone here will buy me something else with it before the week is out! :D

Hep Alien and Tjazz like this.
  15. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Well, if you were about to drop that kind of cash for the box set you should do yourself a favor and DO pick up some of the albums. I'm pretty sure the SACDs can still be found at good prices. If you have a 5.1 setup GET THESE! The "core 7" were all released as SACDs. Get the Blue Jays album by Justin Hayward and John Lodge. And get Long Distance Voyager. You won't have a ton of money invested and you'll be well on your way.

Oh, and if you like the Mobile Fidelity (MFSL) releases, many of the core 7 CDs are usually found for decent prices.

Edit: The MFSL prices seem higher than I remember and it wasn't that long ago. So not sure if thats an option or not.

16. jsayers

If it's sound quality one seeks for the "core 7", the early West German cds, or even the 1st US pressings are the best and can be found for much less than the MFSL cds.

17. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Yeah, those MFSL CDs are going for crazy money now. It wasn't that long ago you could find Threshold and In Search of the Lost Chord for $25US. Not now!

18. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

On the fence about this one. I love box sets ... but ... as others have said the "core7" are essential. I have all the WG on those CD's. Do I need these ???

19. Larry B

Larry B Senior Member

I was just going to say that the box set's "highlights" approach to their catalog misses much of what makes the core 7 so great.... sequencing and fades between songs (continuity). This makes it a spectacularly poor way to introduce anyone to the greatness that is the Moodies.

20. GinGin

GinGin Forum Resident

The latest talk on Traveling Eternity Road forums is that the description of the limited edition bonus reproduction C120 cassette that Hoot Gibson took into space with him that had Days of Future Passed and Seventh Sojourn on it has this note with it: Please note the mounted cassette is a reproduction display souvenir only and for copyright reasons contains no music

Could this box set be any sadder?

Hep Alien, LordThanos1969 and privit1 like this.
  21. GinGin

GinGin Forum Resident

A very good point!

22. raimiz1991inc

raimiz1991inc Forum Resident

I don't know if anyone else is interested in this, but I am very curious as to what the ending of the songs sound like. Since the original album versions faded into the next song I am guessing the songs on the box will have a coda! Unless they just fade in to each other which would be a bummer.

23. Larry B

Larry B Senior Member

Wow! If they do fade between tracks, imagine first hearing them on a compilation as your first Moodies listening experience, and thus become foerver imprinted in your head. The actual album fades would then all WRONG?? OMG! How sad would that be, esp in the case of the Moodies! Reminds me of Beatles UK vs Capital. Would need a sticker on the box saying "For experienced Moody Blues fans only". :shake:

24. zen

zen Senior Member

[​IMG] The last box set probably screwed with a few heads too. :laugh:

25. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I am a rabid MB fan. I have the W German CD's, the SACD's, all the solo stuff (including the BLUE JAYS quad mix and the Ray Thomas box from a couple years back.) Yea, I'm taking a pass on this box. The target audience for this has to be the same crowd of late-middle-aged women I see packing every show I've been to since 1984.

Hep Alien and PhantomStranger like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.