I Hate Record Store Day!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KatCassidy, Apr 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KatCassidy

KatCassidy Mixed bag Thread Starter

What I have a problem with is the plethora of "exclusive" releases, most of which are (in my opinion) crap that I normally wouldn't buy anyway, but the few that I would buy are very limited edition, often selling out faster than fresh doughnuts at a policeman's convention.

Plus, I am a dialysis patient. I have dialysis on a Saturday, which makes it very hard to get to my nearest record store that is celebrating record store day, some two hours away each way!

I can never find a definitive list of record store days releases until literally the day before record store day. Then I can't get into the record store on record store day. And that's assuming I have money to be spending in the first place.

I don't mind the idea of record store day, but when the end result is music fans being alienated because they can't buy what they want when they want it, doesn't that kind of defeat the whole purpose?

EL34, Former Scientist, scobb and 9 others like this.
  2. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Works out great for the e-bay hacks that go just for limited releases. Just my opinion of record store day.

ReadySteady and hi_watt like this.
  3. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Weird how this all came about. It's all about hoopla. Used to be...everyday was record store day.

Now everyday is CD shop day for me ! :D

I have 2 close by. Gonna go see what treasures I'll find in the neglected section.

4. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

I avoid record store day like the plague. I learned my lesson when I accidentally went to the Amoeba in San Francisco on a record store day a couple years ago. There was a line to get into the store wrapped around the block just before opening time, and people were swarming the makeshift exclusive release racks like flies on poop. Before moving to a town (hell, a freakin' country) that basically has no record stores, every day was conceivably record store day for me.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  5. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

RSD 2013. Now being used to ship surplus stock by Sony /EH.
    I certainly think the idea of RSD has had its day already.
    Certainly nothing to write home about. Also disappointed to see some shops over charging for what is overly priced product anyway.
    Between the record companies, SOME shops and those folk intent on making a few $'s or £'s via ebay it certainly looks like it has become a self defeating process.
    Anyone able to tell me the true intent of RSD?

6. kevin

kevin Senior Member

I can find the discs i'm after the Monday after RSD so i've got no need to go in on Saturday.

vonwegen and gkella like this.
  7. AmazingMets

AmazingMets New Member

It's a cool idea, but poorly executed. It does end up being a day for ebay flippers.

They need to understand just how much eBay comes with the turf. I think they should embrace eBay and make an additional 100 copies of each exclusive and sell those on eBay. Either sell those copies for charity or let a participating stores that got great compliments the year before sell the exclusive (they'd be allowed to buy 100 in addition to the inventory for the store). Either put them all on eBay the same day, or put a lot of them up and allow a steady stream to follow after. This would at least see the money going to a cause or a store. 100 copies would really dent out the hopes of flippers.

Hamhead and Geoff like this.
  8. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Here we go again...

9. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Theres a similar discussion elsewhere. Maybe the two threads should be merged

10. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

11. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

I can't be arsed with the crowds, especially when there's nothing on their release schedules I just have to have.

swvcc likes this.
  12. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

13. ReadySteady

ReadySteady Custom Title

I hate limited-edition exclusive grab-it-before-it's-gone crap as much as I hate long lines, so I don't participate. RSD is mostly for people looking to turn a profit.

RickH, nbakid2000 and c-eling like this.
  14. Uri Cohen

Uri Cohen Forum Resident

And for some stores they raise the prices of many LPs on that day only just to make an extra buck.

15. One Louder

One Louder Well-Known Member

I don't like the way my local store handles Record Store Day so I've stopped going.

16. I don't hate it but it would be nice if these weren't gobbled up by folks selling it on eBay, etc.

Jgirar01 likes this.
  17. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

Well, I just got back. The first store I went to opened at 5am, I got there at 6. No line, but they were cleaned out. The line had begun at 1:00am. My next stop opened at 8:00am, I got in line around 7. I got 5 of my 6 things, all items I really wanted. Many of the first people allowed in the store (it's a tiny store so they let in like 15 at a time) came out with giant piles. There's no way they were going to listen to it all. In that sense, it definitely sucks. And it sucks that things are purposefully made in such small runs (like the Sigur Ros record) that it feeds the ebayers. For people like me, who go to record stores all the time, it's about getting new releases that I actually want. I'm not going to buy something just to have it or sell, that just seems selfish and f'n rude.

That said, I had a good time in my hour in line and met some cool people and had great discussions. I came out with some good music that I've wanted on vinyl. Here's what I got:
    Van Dyke Parks - Song Cycle mono
    The Zombies in mono (I was dying for this one)
    Oval - Systemisch (and this one)
    Nicholas Jaar Eno/Grizzly Bear remixes
    Olafur Arnalds - For now I am winter

The sad thing is I got the last Parks, Zombies, and Oval copies, and the line outside was probably still 100 people long.

18. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

I just wonder how many of these vinyl releases are transferred from digital sources.

19. art

art Senior Member

Every day is record store day.

20. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Not really true. A list shows fairly early and almost all the releases are known well before RSD. There might be some additions or deletions but the majority of the releases are known. RSD also isn't to blame for the fact you cant get into the store you want and it's also not to blame for the fact you might not have the money to spend on RSD items.

If people are going to rubbish RSD at least rubbish it for legitimate grievances.

Scott222C, John Carsell and noname74 like this.
  21. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I feel sorry for anyone who's forced into participating in this event.

22. RedRaider99

RedRaider99 Forum Resident

I like the idea, but my idea of fun in a record store is taking an hour or so to slowly flip through all the used bins rather than wait in a line and grab a handful of expensive stuff in fear that I'll never see it again. I am glad if this day does help promote the stores and at least lets a few people know that records are still made and sold in 2013.

23. lucas

lucas New Member

Can you still buy a bong in a US record store?

rod likes this.
  24. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

I walked miles to the Record shop in Budapest that was selling and advertising Record Day. When I finally got there they had a tiny box of a few 7" records that I had no intrest in. Rest of the stock was way over priced.

Bloody joke

25. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

I felt sorry once I realised I had been a sucker for this waste of time

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.