"Patsy Cline - Greatest Hits" to be released on Analogue Productions SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by soundboy, Sep 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Thank you very much. I own no Patsy at all, and thought this would likely satisy me.

2. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

Well, I can tell you that the songs are great as is her singing. Even if you're not a Country fan, you should at least get the 1988 CD if the SACD turns out to be brickwalled.

3. '67 Chevy

'67 Chevy Forum Resident

That's not very encouraging, but it's only one review, hopefully the reviewer was just having equipment problems :D

The Analogue Productions LP reissue has eight reviews so far, all of them 5 stars. No reviews posted yet on SA-CD.net

4. Myke

I've lived here for 41 years, and never have to walk far to hear her voice, but thought it time to own the classics, should I find myself in the mood at home.

5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

All tracks on the MCAD-12R current CD are remixed except for "Back In Baby's Arms" from the 3 track reels. It is my understanding that the other original half track mixdowns could not be located except for very high generation copies (which the 1988 CD used). The remixes are faithful to my old Decca DL 74854 Stereo LP issued in 1967. MCAD-12R is the first digital comparable to that old Decca LP in tonality to my ears.

6. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

I'm listening to the SACD right now, and I must say it sounds pretty darn good, though the absence of tape hiss would indicate that some kind of noise reduction has been done, though it doesn't have that "muffled" quality that so many de-noised recordings seem to have. The sound stage is very wide, and (naturally) stereo separation and channel balance are very good. I know these songs very well, and I'd say that they sound as good on this SACD as any versions I've ever owned. I haven't compared it to my 1988 CD yet, so I'll post that once I'm done with this listen, then on to the new vinyl!

7. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

Ok, My wife had the Patsy Cline CD in her car, and I'd forgotten which it was, and it is the 1990 The Legendary Patsy Cline on MCA and distributed by Heartland Music, and I think that the SACD of Greatest Hits is better, but not a lot better, and Legendary has more songs, so I'd say that between these two it's pretty even. Both seem to be recorded at the same level, as I had to make no adjustments. Also, NR doesn't seem to have been used on the 1990 disc as there is noticeable tape hiss. Actually, I just put the SACD back in to compare "Crazy" and the backing vocals seem much clearer, and on close listening there IS some tape hiss, though not as noticeable. Bass seems tighter and more natural on the SACD, so I'll stick with it being better but not OMG better.

8. Myke

Much appreciated.

9. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

Now for the vinyl. I've just put it on, and I must say that I'm really, really impressed. It is quite possibly the cleanest, quietest pressing of a record I've bought in years. I'm not sure just yet, but it seems to me that the vinyl is somehow more engaging than either digital format I've heard today. The harmonic blend of the backing vocals is stunning: they blend beautifully, yet you can clearly hear the individual singers. Patsy's voice, as always, comes across beautifully, and it sounds like she is in the room; I only have to close my eyes to complete the illusion. The instruments are nicely spread across the sound stage, and everything sounds right to my ears. All of that I get from what I would regard as a very modest turntable: (Technics SL-22DD equiped with an Audio-Technica AT-331LP P-mount cartridge!) I can't wait until I get my new turntable, this will be a definite go-to disc to show off how good vinyl can be to my doubter friends. I've been purposely taking my time writing this post as I wanted to get a full impression of this record. I'm on side 2 now, and "Faded Love" is playing, I still can't get over the quietness of the pressing, you can hear the master tape hiss in the soft passages of the songs, but there is no surface noise. I'd say they did a very good job on the Lp. :thumbsup:

10. Myke

Thanks Joe. I just ordered the vinyl instead. 10% off at AS using the code memorialDAY.

11. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

Darn! I should have waited, I paid full price! Oh well, that's the way it goes.

12. Myke

I wait for the boutiques to have sales before buying...as I get closer to retirement, that is. :angel:
    This case was only $3.00 saved, but I got to participate in the sale, and that makes me happy.

13. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I'd hate to think any NR was used.
    Could the lesser amount of hiss on the SACD mean they used better tapes?

Maybe the "extra" hiss on other discs was because the tapes were a generation or two away from the masters?

14. Myke

" Mastered at Sterling Sound direct from the 1/4-inch master tape. This was a straight transfer, bypassing the console altogether. There was no EQ of any kind. A true direct transfer. You're hearing the master tape! "

McLover and PhantomStranger like this.
  15. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Comments like this just, I don't know, drive me up a wall. No way a $5 CD from freakin' Walmart can compare to an AP SACD-- five into thirty is six! The new one's six times better! I mean, hello?

You know, people who spend $30 on this, they have feelings too which should be respected.... Let's all agree to keep negative reviews, criticism etc. to ourselves. It's the right thing to do.

therockman likes this.
  16. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

If someone wants to say something negative about this (or any other release), why shouldn't they? The right thing to do is to give your best, most honest opinion whether it is good or bad.

Slamming someone else for their purchasing decisions is something else, though.

17. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

That's very possible. I made the comment primarily because I was so used to the tape hiss on my other version, and when it is absent or missing I usually suspect NR. That said, I've since listened to the SACD again (I really love Patsy Cline's singing :) ) and I would now say that I don't think NR was used, and it does sound really good.

18. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

I don't get offended about people being critical of my purchase choices, I buy what I like. If we all liked the same things we'd all be driving a black Ford.....

The Killer and goodiesguy like this.
  19. rodstone

rodstone Forum Resident

I would be very surprised if any NR was used on an AP SACD.

driverdrummer likes this.
  20. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

This really made me laugh. Thanks for the joke. :righton:

SteelyTom likes this.
  21. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

]

There was none used if you read this thread carefully. Actually, since AP went back to the two track master tape, and Wal Mart went back to the three track master tape, the Wal Mart version does go back one generation further. Just sayin'. :wave:

22. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

White House press secretary Jay Carney to address the APO Patsy Cline master tape controversy today at 2 Eastern.

driverdrummer and M.Deutrom like this.
  23. bktouchstone

bktouchstone Forum Resident

Got the SACD yesterday, and it sounds excellent. Lots of detail. Was on the fence about getting this, and while I don't have any regrets my decision came down to not having Patsy in my collection. If I had the cd and was happy with the way that sounded, then a lot less reason to purchase.

24. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident

I've been listening to my Patsy Cline's Greatest Hits SACD (Redbook layer only for now) all morning and there absolutely is tape hiss present, albeit an extremely small amount. If this is, indeed, a direct transfer of the master tape, then said tape is in remarkable condition!

I probably didn't need this copy of Patsy Cline's Greatest Hits since I already own the 2003 MCA remaster (inconsistently titled Patsy Cline's Greatest Hits on the front cover and 12 Greatest Hits on the spine) and the Hip-O Select 2-disc Sweet Dreams set. However, there's something special about this new edition on Analogue Productions. It just seems more natural and spacious; better balanced between the instruments and vocals? Perhaps there's more separation among the musicians? I'm definitely hearing string and guitar details I missed before. Wherever the magic truly lies, the presentation of these twelve country/pop gems is first class. Just like Patsy, herself.

No regrets here. :D

25. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident

If memory serves, the 2003 MCA remaster was a bit loud, right? That bump in levels, coupled with Patsy's vocal attack and the reverb, created a bit of distortion when the music got loud, dynamically speaking. I'm hearing very little of that on the AP SACD. :righton:

Woah! :yikes: I never knew there was some subtle organ work in the middle of "You're Stronger Than Me." Love that!

mr_mjb1960 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.