Pearl Jam's Ten Appreciation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jarvius, May 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarvius

Jarvius Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think when it comes to the Nevermind vs Ten debate, Ten is the better album. I love Nervermind by the way.

"Even Flow " is such a sick song.

How do you guys feel about this album?

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

It's a very good album that I've gotten burned out on over the last 20 years - or 19 years in my case, as I didn't get it until spring 1994.

I've seen PJ live about 35 times, so I've gotten my fill of "Ten"! :)

Still a strong album, though - not my favorite PJ release, but very good...

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

BTW, "Even Flow" gets played pretty much every night at PJ shows. At a 2009 Chicago show, a guy who got bumped to the front row (those seats are available only via fan club lottery) wore a shirt that read "No Even Flow".

Eddie saw this and seemed bemused at first but then appeared to get kinda POed. The guy with the shirt should've known better than to wear the shirt - Eddie's not the sort to have people dictate to him! :D

(Tried to find the clip online but couldn't - Eddie's rant is on the official bootleg, though...)

4. Pendulous Threads

Pendulous Threads Well-Known Member

Great album. It did suffer from overplay and over consideration in my view, but so did many albums of the day. I dig it to death too! I think many albums of that era should have been allowed to simply ROCK instead of trying to dissect it and drive it into some type of category. It was just some inspired rock and roll to me that hit a nerve.

5. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

I really love the remix version. The 80s reverb on the original always got annoying to me!

It was a breath of fresh air to hear

luckyno13, Phil Tate and Old Rusty like this.
  6. Pendulous Threads

I still haven't heard the remaster.

7. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

Some have panned it, but I really like the 2 lp set. I reach for the remix when I want to hear ten

8. Pendulous Threads

I will have to grab a copy of the new version on vinyl and cd. I have the Japanese and US original Cd that I still play as much as anything else I have, and thats a ton of music every week. I look forward to picking up the new version, thanks!

9. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

One of the best albums of the 90's.

Pendulous Threads likes this.
  10. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

i loved it when it came out...although i thought the 2nd half was weak (songs after jeremy)

i was so excited for vs but i ened up not liking that album...my love for pearl jam died that day.

11. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

i liked it at the time but i don't really like it now. in fact, i don't really like pearl jam that much anymore. however, if i'm going to put a pearl jam album on the table it will be "no code". that's their best album.

12. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I liked Ten the minute I heard it and still like it. Great album. "Jeremy spoke in...class today." I bought the CD and a bunch of CD singles back in '91.

13. Pendulous Threads

Just did a quick shootout of "Evenflow" with my Japanese white obi and my US original Cd. I and my wife both like the Japanese much better with less reverb. I need to side by side them in their entirety to be certain.

14. Dbstay

Dbstay Senior Member

One of, if not the best debut album ever. Really.

15. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

Not the, but certainly one. :D

I got it in the summer of '92. Seeing their appearance at the Pinkpop festival (on TV) sealed it for me. Excellent songs. :righton:
    I still don't hear much difference with the remix/remaster of a couple of years ago. I guess that reverb never really bothered me (and then I prefer the mastering of the original one over the squashed remix/remaster).

Dbstay and Pendulous Threads like this.
  16. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

One of my favorites. I never thought of it as "grunge" though...to me it's just a great "classic" hard rock record, more like Bad Company or Free than Nirvana/Soundgarden/Alice In Chains/Stone Temple Pilots/etc. I hate Nirvana (but dig those other bands) btw.

17. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

I like it but was a bit burned out by it when it was released (same with Nevermind) - still trying to recoup to this day! :)

18. CrimsonPiper

CrimsonPiper Forum Resident

Liked it when it came out and listened to it quite a lot back then. For whatever reason it didn't stood the time as a timeless piece for me. Same thing for Nevermind which I think is more commercial in its own way.

19. My Home Townes

My Home Townes Forum Resident

It was the end of the summer in '91 when I saw the "Alive" video. Really changed the music scene in a big way (obviously along with Nirvana.) But, this was the one I liked the best. Thought the riffs were original. Stone Gossard wrote most of them. Lyrics were thought provoking and poetic.

It was a complete record for me too. The whole album had an amazing flow and I loved every song. My musical tastes have changed over time, but I always credit this record with getting me deeper into music.

20. BongRattlingBass

BongRattlingBass Forum Resident

I think the songs I love the most are the tracks that did not make it to the album.

21. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

The one-two punch of Black and Jeremy still gets to me to this day. A powerful and moving album.

22. raimiz1991inc

raimiz1991inc Forum Resident

Yes, much better than Nevermind in my opinion, but weaker than Dirt and Superunknown if we're talking the best of the big four of the grunge scene. It's flawed, definitely, but it has their best songs: Black, Porch, Why Go... and in my opinion their greatest song they ever wrote: Release. Haven't listened to the album for 6 years now though because I got really fatigued with it after so much playing it for its awesomeness. Maybe 4 more years and I'll be able to hear it without rolling my eyes. My own fault though, my bad.:sweating:

23. Score yourself the 'Ten Redux' 2-LP set & crank it. I've been hooked on this band since day-one, seen them play live many times, and still look forward to their new music. PJ rules!

24. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

I love the TEN album. Haven't heard the new version yet.

25. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Ten is fantastic - in my opinion Pearl Jam never topped it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.