Audio Fidelity "Bob Dylan Greatest, Vol. II" SACD set mastering complete.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Mar 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DennisF

DennisF Forum Resident

My copy arrived today, haven't had a chance to listen. One thing that stood out to me right away was that the color picture on the front of the booklet seems quite a bit darker blue than my old fatboy and LP set. Anyone else notice the difference?

2. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

mine arrived from Amazon. sound is everything I was expecting. my back pages never sounded this good.

3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

My copy arrived today, a day earlier than stated by Amazon. With serious meetings tomorrow and a business trip Wednesday and Thursday, it's going to have to wait until the weekend.

4. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I expect mine tomorrow (Tue) and some other goodies. BIG mail week!

Anyhow, doesn't AF owes us a Dylan GH Vol 1 in hi-res? Ok, I'll forgive that if AF would do what it takes to begin releasing whole albums mastered DSD by SH or KG.

5. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

But traveling is what Apple Lossless and an iPod are for Keith - I realize you are THE CD man of the forum as I type this!

6. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

It's not dark yet, but it's getting there.... ;) Arnie

Wade likes this.
  7. KeithH

Actually, I bought the Dylan SACD set from amazon.com, and it is an AutoRip title. So I have a rip of something on my Cloud Player. It must be a rip of a Sony version since I got it when I pre-ordered the SACD set a couple of months ago, but I still have the tunes. :)

The SACD set is something to look forward to this weekend. :)

8. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Based on previous experience, that will not be the audiophile version. It is a nice service that they have, especially when you are waiting for the cd to arrive you can at least enjoy the digital file version first.

9. culabula

culabula Unread author.

And even when you cancel, they leave the ripped copy in the cloud player!

10. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I am sure this question was answered by Steve on the other thread, but why was this not done on one CD? It fits as it is just under 80' long.

11. culabula

culabula Unread author.

It wa not to be interfered with but to be released "as was". Two discs and no mono "Watching the River Flow".

Begs the question therefore as to why he was permitted to separate "Tomorrow" and "Masterpiece".

12. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Maybe Steve didn't ask, but just did it anyway. Sly dog... ;) Arnie

13. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Although, everyone who buys a lot of music from Amazon should be advised to check their AutoRip collections and check them for surprises. While it's true that the AutoRip version of Dylan's GH2 is the standard one (not the new AF, which isn't available as a download), I recently discovered the opposite (and better) anomaly in my Amazon Cloud. I had purchased Billy Preston's two Apple LPs on CD a LONG time ago -- like, over a decade -- and had long since re-sold them. When EMI remastered all the Apple stuff in 2010, I purchased the single-CD best-of, and a few stray tracks by Badfinger, Billy Preston and a couple of others. I was scrolling through my AutoRip library last week, and I discovered that Amazon had deposited copies of both of the Preston CDs I had purchased in my Cloud, but both were the 2010 remasters. I suspect that Amazon is just methodically going through our order histories and uploading whatever the newest digital version is of each album we bought.

davenav likes this.
  14. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Excellent point Sean - I can't recall which album it was now but a similar thing happened to me when Amazon gave me a remastered cloud version of an album I had bought quite some time ago. Granted, not everyone on the forum would want a remaster mind you, but that is for another thread discussion!

15. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

This is not a comment about the mastering of this release, but does anyone feel that Greatest Hits Vol 2 is loaded with too many slower tracks and not balanced with "rockier" songs?

16. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

What I did find interesting was that after playing GH2 I put on the recently released GH1. I had to turn the volume down a bit. Seems that the volume on GH2 is lower. Both sound wonderful. Maybe its the song selection but of the two, GH1 is better.

17. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Natturally they will not match...two separate releases, two separate masterings. :)

18. KeithH

Agreed. I'm sure they sourced the MP3s from one of the U.S. Sony CD sets.

19. KeithH

Which CD versions are people comparing the SACD set to? Original U.S., U.S. remaster, Japanese 48DP, something else? I'm curious which version(s) people have or liked best before obtaining the SACD set.

20. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

It's what Bob wanted many years ago. I enjoy it.

21. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

You've sold me!

22. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I have not had an opportunity to crank it up yet, but am looking forward to it. Hadn't heard many of these songs in years, since I only ever had GH II on cassette.

23. DennisF

DennisF Forum Resident

Sounds great!

24. Tingman

Tingman Forum Resident

Playing mine for the first time; it sounds wonderful. Thanks Steve!

25. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

Got my copy today and just started listening right now - with a smile on my face! Sounds great so far! :righton:
    ------- Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.