Anyone remember the old WMCA-AM in New York?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by shnaggletooth, Jun 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Indeed.

If you wanted to, you could say that most of them went to CBS-FM!

The only odd man out was Mitch. I don't believe BMR was ever heard doing time on 101.1, as he had migrated out west, although they did feature airchecks during the R&R Radio Greats weekends.

2. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

Nope,BMR was never on the 'Golden 101'.He never did any NY radio after he went to LA in '65.(He was the original host on 'Rockline',heard on WPLJ...)
    He had died by the time 'CBS started with the Radio Greats Weekends (first one was August '84.)

3. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

'Tis a shame. The Crusin' LP, recorded in '72 (correct me if I'm wrong), proves that even after he had long since given up Top 40 for AOR, BMR could still turn on the screaming "Your Leader" persona and nail it as if he had never given it up.

4. Judi Bogart

Judi Bogart New Member

Hi! My name is Judi Bogart. I am Winston ("Joe) Bogart's daughter and was lucky enough to be part of much of the WMCA part of my dad's life. My mother didn't really care to go to concerts or the Copa so I would go with Dad. If there is something I can answer about that time I would be happy to do so. I don't know how the person at the yard sale had so many unopened original albums. My dad used to bring some home and would even give them to neighbors at the time. I remember the WMCA Good Guys well, having a crush on several. B Mitchell Reed was one. Anyone go to the baseball game between the dj's and the playboy bunnies? A ponytail came off when one of the guys went to tag one of the bunnies out. I've never been on this before. Hopefully I'll get an email when and if any of you write. I still have my Good Guy Sweatshirt....and I remember dad ( who DID put on the first Beatles record, no matter what you read elsewhere) riding a baggage car to the plane to get a Beatle's exclusive on before anyone else. I was very lucky to be his daughter in many ways.

ytserush, Hep Alien and JuanTCB like this.
  5. Judi Bogart

Judi Bogart New Member

Another thought here...was anyone at a high school where the WMCA dj's hosted a concert by The Four Seasons? They had warned them not to throw anything to the kids and Frankie did....and the kids rushed forward. I was holding the cue cards in front of the rope and an ocean of kids came over me and pushed me down on the ground. Two of the dj's motioned for me to go back when I got to my feet. I was disoriented when the flood lights hit me and the next thing I knew was Jack Spector had grabbed two burly policmen and they parted the sea of kids. Jack swept me up in his arms and carried me up on the stage and across to the bus in the back outside. Some night!!

6. Judi Bogart

Judi Bogart New Member

More....and this is about Joe Bogart. Did any of you know that before the job you know of at wmca he played live (trumpet) at the station? And before that he played in the Big Bands. He was lead trumpet player for Les Brown and played with Sammy Kaye and Eddie Duchin. :)

ytserush and Hep Alien like this.
  7. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

:-popcorn: Some memories being sparked by this thread.
    I was just a tad bit too young to vividly remember WMCA. My memories of WMCA are more along the lines of a half-forgotten dream, As I was something like 7-8 years old when the 'Good Guys' era was winding down.
    But I do remember the 'Good Guy' promotional items like, the t-shirts/sweatshirts vividly. I remember a kid on my block had one that I coveted.

8. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

That station and those jocks were religion to me when I was a kid, falling asleep with the radio next to my ear.

Judi Bogart likes this.
  9. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

WABC came in clear as a bell in Philly....day or night. WNBC too.

10. Judi Bogart

Judi Bogart New Member

I realize tonight how someone had autographs signed to Joe Bogart at a yard sale. When people would stop in at the station and sign an autograph for him he kept a little book and would have them sign one to me...or he would put the ones signed to him in the book for me to keep. I most probably have many more than were found at the station by someone who worked there...along with a lock of Ringo's hair and other things. Joe Bogart's collection is alive and well in NJ. (see post above...I am his daughter, Judi)

11. Judi Bogart

Judi Bogart New Member

Hey, Scooters! Remember BMR's zap horn? and the WMCA jingles? I have a story about one of them!

Does anyone know where the yard sale was approximately located with all the WMCA autographs, some signed to Joe Bogart? I'm wondering if it was Frank Costa's house.

12. Judi Bogart

Judi Bogart New Member

That's because the rest came home to me, shnaggletooth...and I still have them. :)

13. Judi Bogart

Judi Bogart New Member

Can you tell me the approximate location of the yard sale. The town would be a big help. I'm a little concerned it might have been Frank Costa's house and am going to try to reach him to make sure he's o.k. I'm a little surprised he wouldn't contact me about the things with my dad's name on them, though...which is why I'm worried. Do you remember if the woman's name was Sylvia, by any chance??

14. Judi Bogart

Judi Bogart New Member

Me, too, Ralph. Can you teach me how the heck to put my photo where you put yours?

15. Judi Bogart

Judi Bogart New Member

You'd be surprised how much Mitch was like that leader in real life. :) A total, lovable, not too good to himself flake.

16. Judi Bogart

Judi Bogart New Member

Jeff Mazzei did, that's for sure, and programmed it just as Joe Bogart had MCA. Jeff hung around the record library at WMCA so much as a kid that my father said to him, "Make yourself useful and file some records. That was the beginning of Jeff's career in radio programming. Does anyone know where Jeff Mazzei is today?

17. Judi Bogart

Judi Bogart New Member

18. Judi Bogart

Judi Bogart New Member

I still have mine, along with a pillow that was made from them. Someday I'll find and post a picture of me in mine from way back then...if I ever learn how on here. In fact I could make that my member picture! Help!

19. Judi Bogart

Judi Bogart New Member

Nope...Scott Muni and Herb Oscar Anderson did, too.

20. Judi Bogart

Judi Bogart New Member

There's an answer to this and a question from me somewhere on here, Ralph

21. Judi Bogart

Judi Bogart New Member

22. Judi Bogart

Judi Bogart New Member

I'm on a roll...just realized you can click the address above and see it, so here is one of Harry Harrison, me and my father, Joe Bogart right before we left for the concert that I wrote all about in another post on here....the one where the kids pushed me down and trampled me at the Good Guy and Four Seasons concert....
    [​IMG]

23. Judi Bogart

Judi Bogart New Member

One more...the full picture of me in the first one along with the story. The bear had arrived at the house that day. This would happen occasionally, either at the station or the house, sometimes with a card and record company or artist's name, usually not because they knew my father wouldn't accept it unlike so many in that era (payolla). This was turned in at the station the morning after it arrived, but first my dad took this shot of me with it. And then the most recent photo I have of me now.

[​IMG][​IMG]

24. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

There's a black bar across the top of the page with your name and an arrow pointing down. Click on that and then click on "Avatar" in the drop-down menu. The top section that says use custom avatar is the one you want. Click on browse and it will connect you to your photo library on your computer. Click on the photo you want. That should do it.

Love your stories and photos and welcome to the forum.:wave:

25. Judi Bogart

Judi Bogart New Member

You night in shining armor, you. NOW...PLEASE help me get that HUGE photo of me off here, can you? I resized it so they'd see my resemblance to my father and that I'm legit and when I clicked it went on here HUGE. I am not the egotistical idiot that makes me appear! Honest! Plus, I put on a photo of my father in the studio and there was no room. It didn't go to page three. I don't know how you got a message in here today! I'll go try that again.
    Thank you so much for the welcome. I didn't talk to anyone back then about any of this...would have seemed like name dropping.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.