My Rega RP1 TT doesn't play 45 RPM

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TMelos, Jun 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TMelos

TMelos New Member Thread Starter

Hey, I recently bought the Rega RP1 Turntable with the performance pack and I love it. Only thing is I have a few 45 RPM vinyl I'd love to play, but whenever I manually change the speed to 45 rpm the belt just slips off the bottom of the cartridge holder, or whatever you call that. I've tried many times and it just doesn't stay on. Seems to me like the cartridge holder needs to be lowered some, but IDK.

The first vinyl I actually tried to play on it was a 45 RPM, so it's had this problem since the day I unboxed it.

I haven't contacted the manufacturer yet as I'm hoping one of you will have a solution for me.
    Thanks.

2. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Pics please.

3. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

I just bought an RP1 myself, and had no trouble playing a 45. The groove for 45 rpm is just below the 33 rpm groove, and it's not much larger. Maybe you're moving the belt down too far?

4. Greg Carrier

You're moving the belt on the small pulley, right?

5. TMelos

It seems like it should be really simple and just work but it doesn't. I just set it to below the line in the next section where it looks like it would obviously go. It plays on the 33 rpm setting just fine. I'll take a picture and upload it now.

EDIT: I'm actually just gonna upload a video, that should be more informative.

6. TMelos

At the beginning it's on the 33 rpm setting, then I move it down to the 45 rpm setting and show it slipping off. Sorry for bad camera angles and crappy quality.

It's weird as I haven't found anything on google about it, and I really don't feel as if I'm doing anything wrong.

7. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

I have an RP1. You are not doing anything wrong. Let KT88 chime in...he's the expert. You cannot manually adjust anything save VTF, so you may have to send back. Looks like spindle needs to be lower to me. It's spinning belt down at an angle. Or...your sub-platter is out of whack.

8. From looking at the video the belt appears to be very low on the sub-platter at 33RPM, which could mean the sub-platter it is set too high. When you then move the belt even lower for a 45RPM setting there is almost no room for the belt to keep traction...hence its slipping off.

IMO...either the sub-platter needs to be LOWERED or the Spindle/capstan needs to be RAISED. Pick your poison. That's all I got!

9. ElizabethH

ElizabethH Forum Resident

Yeah what has been mentioned.. The subplatter is running too high, or the motor is too low from the start.

10. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

This sounds unlikely, but is the spindle perhaps not fully settled down into the bearing well? If you push gently down on the wheel that the belt wraps around, does it give or is it firmly seated?

jupiterboy and DougR like this.
  11. Greg Carrier

Look at it from the side. The belt in either the 33 or 45 position should be close to horizonal, just a little off. On mine, the belt looks perfectly horizontal at the 33 setting. If there's a noticable angle, either the motor or the sub-platter isn't right. Can you take a still of the side view with the belt in the 33 position?

12. TMelos

Yup, that's exactly what I thought, it was sitting to high. I'll go ahead and snap the side pic for you. But the subplatter does not push down any, it's firmly seated. Although the motor will move up about half an inch if I pull on it, but once I let go it drops back down to it's normal position.

So do you guys know how one would lower the subplatter or raise the motor? I noticed the giant screw looking thing on the bottom, and that looks like you could maybe adjust it. Or would I just have to send it back like someone mentioned earlier.

Here's that picture, thanks again everyone.

Attached Files:

13. Greg Carrier

In the picture it looks to me like your motor is tilted away from the subplatter, towards the back of the table. It should be level with everything else.

DaleH and DougR like this.
  14. Bob_in_OKC

Given the subplatter is in its correct position and the motor is low and tilted, could it be the motor is not stuck to the underside of the board as it is supposed to be?

15. Greg Carrier

I'm guessing that motor isn't mounted properly. It might even be loose. Can you wiggle it, TMelos? Mine is firmly mounted.

16. Does anyone have an RP1 to take a pic of? Might help to compare.

17. TMelos

I can't wiggle it, it's firmly mounted, just raises up when lifted like mentioned earlier. I do notice what you're saying now though, definitely looks tilted back. Looks like I'm gonna just have to suck it up and send it back. It's gonna be a bad week or so for me lol

18. TMelos

Update: I played a 33 RPM vinyl and looked at the belt while it was playing, it seems like it slips down pretty far while playing, then shoots back up to the top of the subplatter, and it does that pretty consistently. Is that how it normally operates?

19. Greg Carrier

RP1.jpg

This is what mine looks line (I haven't put my performance pack on yet).

20. Bob_in_OKC

So maybe TMelos's subplatter is sitting high, after all.

21. ElizabethH

ElizabethH Forum Resident

Is there a ball bearing inside the subplatter bearing shaft?
    Maybe you got TWO ball bearings in there instead of one?

22. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

you do have the belt fitted with the right surface engaging the platter/spindle?

23. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

It shouldn’t be walking up and down.

24. TMelos

Alright, so I checked and there is a ball bearing, but only one. I tried removing that and a washer that looked unnecessary to lower the subplatter some and see if that helped, but with the bearing out the belt just slips off on both settings instead of just 45.

And if you're asking if I'm putting the belt in the right place, I'm pretty sure I am. Looks like it would be damn hard to put it in the wrong place lol.

But I did use the washer I took out to hold up the motor some, and tried running it on the 45 rpm setting, and it seemed to run good. Stayed around the middle, didn't slip down or anything. So I'm thinking my motor needs to be raised. Is there any easy way to do that?

25. I'd bring it back at this point. You've determined there is something mechanically wrong with the unit and you deserve a new replacement. Additionally, messing with the motor would probably void your warranty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.