Yes - Close to the Edge 5.1 mix by Steven Wilson - October 2013

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DesertChaos, Jun 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Machiventa

Machiventa Forum Resident

Hmmm Steven Wilson from PT? Didn't know he mastered other people's work.

2. ben_wood

ben_wood A traveler of both time and space

Got Steve's SACD, love it, will definitely buy Steven's disc too! :righton:

ponkine likes this.
  3. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

What makes you say that?
    I very much doubt that Wilson's remaster of the original mix will "wipe the floor clean" with our host's magnificent SACD (of which I have only heard the redbook layer). The new mixes will be fun to hear but it's the original mix that counts.
    It's entirely possible that Wilson's remaster of the original mix will be great too but I don't think it can be much better then the Hoffman remaster unless Wilson could use the original master tape and Hoffman couldn't.
    I'm definitely looking forward to compare the various masters and mixes...and why not include Barry Diament's great mastering in the comparison too? :)

4. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

As will I. I was hoping a 5.1 would come out. :)

5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Life at SHtv :

I ignored this album until 2011.
    I buy a Diament.
    I buy Steve's SACD.
    I buy Steven's 5.1.

DrPhibes, hernan-r and mmars982 like this.
  6. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Hi Steven :)

Are you there? :wave: ... YES? ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

How dare you! :D

ben_wood likes this.
  8. Machiventa

Machiventa Forum Resident

I listened to it once from my dad's record collection in the early 90s when I was a teen and first started smoking pot. Didn't really dig it too much at the time. Picked up a used vinyl copy around 2001 and for whatever reason never listened to it. I think it's about damn time I give it a serious sit down session and see what all the fuss is all about.

9. I have the original Diament CD, the AF Hoffman SACD, and in October I'll have the Wilson 5.1 remix. Can't wait.

10. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well, his work is mostly in the remixing (2.0 and 5.1). He's done King Crimson, ELP, Caravan, J Tull, Hawkwind (and others) and now there's Yes and XTC on the way. He's gotten a pretty good reputation for what he's done - he keeps getting more work on this stuff so he's doing something right!

Spek and Machiventa like this.
  11. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

This.

ponkine likes this.
  12. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

Thanks to Steven Wilson for almost single-handedly keeping the flame of multichannel burning. I haven't really listened to most of his work, but his stellar job on the King Crimson titles caused me to pick up Raven, and I'm really liking it. When MC is done well its a mindblowing thing. He gets it right!

13. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

Darn.... Even though the latest SACD is very nice, I love S. Wilson's work. The latest Hawkwind is just another example; CTTE in 5.1, bring it on!!!!!!!

richy2times likes this.
  14. It would be great if Steven could talk Alan Parsons into letting him do the APP catalog.

15. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

The reissue thing is getting silly and expensive! Of course as a fan you have to have everything and hearing all of the nuances is fun but the reissue thing is getting silly.

Say It Right likes this.
  16. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

:shrug:

This is not 'Who's Next', 'Blonde on Blonde', 'The Doors' or any of those albums that have been re-issued zillion times

It's just happened that Audio Fidelity picked up and released months ago

I really hope this will be the first of all the classic Yes studio and live albums :edthumbs:

rburly likes this.
  17. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I hope that legally SW can talk about sources.

Spek likes this.
  18. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

You've beaten this to death. What makes you think that anybody can make it sound any better?

19. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Probably because everything SW has remixed turned out well...can't think of a single stinker. So if he took this one on I'm sure he'd find a way to squeeze something good out.

Spek likes this.
  20. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

On your way out, please make sure the door is closed behind you, and be sure to leave your key on the counter.
    Thank you.
    :wave:

warp2600 likes this.
  21. rtsurroundfan

rtsurroundfan Active Member

Yeah we don't know a date for "Trilogy" yet, but no doubt it's coming.
    Chris Welch, who did the liner notes on the first 2 reissues said this on his Twitter a week ago:
    Sure it's actually 2CDs & 1 DVD-A like the other 2 reissues, but we will find out soon enough! :)

22. rtsurroundfan

rtsurroundfan Active Member

I think this reissue will be the definitive version simply because it will have both the original mix and the new mixes in high-resolution, whereas the SACD only has the original mix and no 5.1
    Wilson did not master or remaster the original mix. He doesn't do any mastering whatsoever. He only works in the mixing area, so it will be interesting for those of you who own the SACD to see how it compares to the high-res master of the original mix on the upcoming DVD-A.

AZRunner likes this.
  23. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

It would not be so bad if the band announced their intent so fans could plan what to purchase. With this release it's a case of double or triple dipping this year.

24. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Yeah, squelch potential impulse buys, that's how you rake in the cash. :laugh:

25. whiskeyvengeance

whiskeyvengeance Forum Resident

God, this is getting to be an expensive year! First Hoffman's CTTE SACD, then his GFTO, then the announcement of King Crimson's "Road to Red" box set and now this ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.