Hendrix- Axis bold as love Mono vs Stereo vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tumbledweeb, Jun 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tumbledweeb

tumbledweeb Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello all,

Was there a general consensus on which of the recent vinyl reissues, mono 2013 or stereo 2010 was better?
    I did a quick search but it seemed the bulk of the conversation was about AYE. I generally listen to mono prior to 68 ( there are exceptions of course) and stereo after so this release being on the cusp of 67/68 is a tough one for me to decide. Any opinions out there? Thanks :)

Freebird likes this.
  2. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

There are many instances where I prefer mono over stereo, Beatles, Dylan, NKC & Sinatra being a few, this is not the case for every album though as there some instances where the stereo works better for me, BUT there are some where I have no preference and Axis is one of those, initially on hearing the mono I preferred it but has time as moved on I've come to appreciate both as equals, different but equals, I guess what I'm trying to say is one doesn't have to be better than the other and we sometimes forget that.

3. tumbledweeb

Thanks for the input Hodgo :), I am asking because I recently purchased AYE stereo and really enjoyed it so Axis being my next fave was one to get. At the record store I noticed the two versions and the mono was ten bucks more, after reading some bad reviews of AYE mono on here I was wondering if Axis Mono was worth shelling out the extra $$$ for ?

fortherecord likes this.
  4. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

Axis in mono is quite good. It's a great mix with a lot of punch, especially the drums. AYE in mono is for diehard fans only.

Rockinrob and Classicolin like this.
  5. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

The mono Axis is indeed a much better quality mix than the mono AYE. I have both the 2010 stereo and the 2013 mono, but the mono is the one I prefer. Bernie Grundman did an awesome job on the mastering, done on an all-analog chain. Pressed at Quality. Well worth the extra few bucks in my opinion.

6. LePompDior

LePompDior Forum Resident

Some songs on ABAL sound better in stereo, some sound better in mono. Both versions are worth owning. I have 4 different pressings of ABAL and the 2010 stereo is my go-to.

Six String and Gordon Johnson like this.
  7. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

I agree that both stereo and mono are worth having. I have the Classic records mono and it sounds great, and an original stereo which also sounds great and is not that hard to find if you live in the United States (or at least in California).

8. love4another

love4another Forum Resident

The Sony legacy is my fav. This album would be best in 5.1 IMO. 2 channel can not do it justice.

Max2max likes this.
  9. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

Cool idea! Now that you mention it, it does seem like it would be fun to hear in 5.1 (as long as it was done well, of course!)

10. tumbledweeb

Thanks guys, I know what you mean about some songs sounding better in mono and some in stereo, I feel the same way about tracks on the White Album but I'm trying to steer clear of buying multiple copies of albums now ( there's too much music out there and I'm too poor) :) so i guess either copy would be good by the sound of it. Thanks again

eyeCalypso and Gordon Johnson like this.
  11. love4another

love4another Forum Resident

Eddie Kramar has said in numerous interview Jimi wanted his music to 'surround' the listener and go through their head and all around them. Sounds like 5.1 to me. EH are on Sony, correct? Therefore i think some Blu ray Audios like the Rush ones would be great.

12. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

This is one album that is so different in the two formats that it can and should be owned (and played) in mono and stereo. Sorry but sometimes the outlay has to be made :)

Adam9, hodgo and tumbledweeb like this.
  13. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

To a degree but Jimi was talking about this way back. Sounds like he wanted a good mastering job for stereo playback and for the listener to tune in and get experienced at the same time, lol

14. tumbledweeb

Hmmmmm I already have the stereo cd even though the quality isn't the best, so yes i will pick up the mono :) You have got me intrigued about the differences in the mix now.

15. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

The mono mix ROCKS. The tight rhythm and punch of the 3 piece can be felt!

mick_sh and Rockinrob like this.
  16. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

very true.i listened to a needle drop of classic's mono axis recently and found myself listening to the bass and drums more than i ever have before.some of jimi's guitar parts are mixed lower than on the stereo version and it works really well.i could almost listen to mitch by himself on this lp.

17. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

I've got the Axis mono and I highly recommend it. It's very powerful and punchy.

DaxHobo and Nick Dunning like this.
  18. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

Listening to a Track UK mono, and there are some great moments. But I think I would default to Classics Mono release. Some of the songs on the original release sound a bit thinner than what Classic presents although, I would say the UK Mono does have a bit more clarity in the drums and has a nice blend of the mix while the Classic really punches up the bass and drums. It's almost a flip of the coin really.

You can't go wrong with either.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  19. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

I have the Classic Records Mono reissue of Axis as it is my favorite of Jimi's LPs. In fact, it is the only Classic disc I ever bought (wasn't really an audiophile back then, just wanted the mono).

I noticed on my Classic pressing that it has Bernie Grundman's initials in the deadwax. I know he was responsible for the new reissues on Sony as I have the US and UK versions of AYE. Is there any major difference in the Classic Records version mastered by Bernie and the new Sony version mastered by Bernie?

I didn't buy the new release of Axis because I felt I already had a mono of it on vinyl. What would be the point of two masterings by the same person? I know years might change Bernie's mind about a particular way to master the record, but will the difference be dramatic enough to get the new one? Did he use different equipment for this master than on the previous? Will it bring out anything new in the sound?

Freebird, razorball and marcfeld69 like this.
  20. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Just searched out this thread after listening to Axis on headphones today, possibly for the first time. (first time on headphones, that is.) It doesn't bother me through speakers, but I found it (stereo version) rather annoying on 'phones. The person who mixed this thought the panning knob was a joystick. The gimmicky panning was not uncommon at the time and it fits psychedelia and all, but mono, here I come.

(That said, I listened to AYE {stereo} on the phones for the first time yesterday and thought Purple Haze sounded completely different and in a good way.)

Freebird likes this.
  21. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

BUMP!

22. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Does the Classic Records version boast an all-analogue mastering chain?

23. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

I don't know about that (it's a relevant question), but the reason I bumped it is I'd like to know which is better: the Classic or the Sony Legacy.

razorball likes this.
  24. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

They sound different.

His chain sounds better, IMHO, than it did back when he cut the Classic.

rxcory and marcfeld69 like this.
  25. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Which is better depends on your preference. Some prefer the Classic, some prefer the Sony.

marcfeld69 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.