Share your Nintendo NES memories!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Baba Oh Really, Jun 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I also had a cleaning kit! The contacts would have a build up, from the contacts becoming oxided I think, and would have black stuff on them. Once the cartridges and the loading mechanism were cleaned I wouldn't have to blow on a cartridge for a month or so.

2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

"Would you like to buy a cleaning kit and subscription to Game Informer?" -Every FuncoLand employee I ever dealt with.

3. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident

Yeah, I had something like this too:

[​IMG]

Pretty much just an empty cartridge with an alcohol-soaked cloth on it. Those systems definitely did build up a lot of grime because the cleaning carts always came out dirty, but I still don't think dirt/dust buildup was usually what was actually causing the problems... though it obviously didn't help. (And of course, if your house was anything like mine, there was always plenty of cigarette smoke around and we had a wood stove on top of it, plus plenty of rental cartridges... I guess it's no wonder the things picked up so much gunk.)

4. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

Oddly enough, most people I knew just had Super Mario and Zelda and a few other odds and ends. We did go down to the arcade to play Skate Or Die, I would own that game today if I could find it at a reasonable price.

5. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

Ninja Gaiden almost made me destroy a few controllers.

Tree of Life likes this.
  6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I remember being so excited about R.O.B… until I tried to play Gyromite with it. :(

7. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident

Unless you mean a "reasonable price" for the arcade version, the NES version of part one shouldn't be all that pricey (though part 2 might cost a bit more since it came out fairly late in the system's life).

8. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

9. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

I hated R.O.B.

10. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Has anyone seen the website cafeNES? For a while, they had a playable link to every NES game ever made.

11. sirmikael

sirmikael Forum Resident

R.O.B. hated you.

:)

Chip TRG and Daniel Plainview like this.
  12. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

I think he did. We never got along.

13. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

http://nesguide.com lists every licensed (and many unlicensed) NES game (and most Famicom games, too). It's a great resource. :)

14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Remember the movie "The Wizard"? It was essentially one long commercial for Nintendo, and Universal Studios.

"I love the Power Glove. It's so bad". -Lucas.

mynameistaken likes this.
  15. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

Yeah, it blew my mind because it was the first time I saw gameplay of the unreleased super Mario bros 3.

16. markaberrant

markaberrant Forum Resident

My parents never ever offered me rewards - ie; shovel the snow and I'll give you $5, or I'll give you $20 for every passing grade. I was just expected to do chores and to do well in school.

Some friends got NES for xmas in 85 and I was blown away. I had to have one of my own. I harassed my mother relentlessly. So she told me that if I got "all Es" on my report card (E was the highest score you could get when I was in Grade 3), that she would buy me one.

I couldn't wait for the last day of school in June. They handed out the report cards, and I indeed got all Es. I raced home and off we went to the nearby Zellers. We grabbed the basic system with Super Mario, plus Rad Racer, Hoops and T&C Surf Designs Wood and Water Rage.

My mom also told me she would never ever offer me a reward again, and she kept her word. I hated this as a kid, because all my friends were always offered bribes/rewards... but in the long run, it made me a much better person.

As somone else already mentioned, I fondly remember playing NES in our cool basement when it was too hot in the summer.

My fav games were Super Mario, Mario 3, Punchout, RBI Baseball, Tecmo Bowl/Super Tecmo Bowl, 1942/43, Legendary Wings, Contra, Bubble Bobble, Adventures of Bayou Billy, Adventure Island, RC Pro-Am/Super RC Pro-AM, Double Dragon, and Castlevania.

I'm also the only person I know who owned Chubby Cherub, considered one of the worst NES games ever.

I still have my NES, and it works, but most of my good games were cherry picked by my younger cousins in the mid-90s when I moved onto Sega Genesis.

17. markaberrant

markaberrant Forum Resident

Oh yeah, Baseball Stars was awesome too!

18. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Staring future music hottie Jenny Lewis :love:

19. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I saw "The Wizard" in the theater. I was only 13, so I had an excuse (albeit a flimsy one).

20. acjetnut

acjetnut Senior Member

SMB3 - still the best

21. csampson

csampson Forum Resident

SMB, Mike Tyson's Punch-Out and certainly Tecmo Bowl were fond memories. In our Tecmo league play with the Raiders and Chiefs were banned lest Bo Jackson or Christian Okoye would run away to certain victory. I still have a couple of units (standard and top loader) and have picked up games used over the years when I see them for cheap and probably have close to 500 NES games now. If you get the special triangle bit to open up the game cartridges then cleaning the contacts to avoid the flashing lights is easy and effective. Simply open the cartridge and using a pencil eraser to clean the contacts followed up by a quick Q-tip cleaning using rubbing alcohol and reassembling the cartridge will work almost all of the time.

Tree of Life likes this.
  22. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I was selling for JC Penney at that time, in the Electronics department, while also working part-time in my first radio gig.
    We sold a crapload of cartridges back then, and replacement joysticks. Best part, Penney's was aggressively pursuing moms & dads,
    so we had a big NES display right up front (right next to the RCA Selectavision...which seldom worked... :D ), and whenever the
    big-name cartridges came out, we were always the first in the Mall to have 'em. And get to play them ("'cause, I gotta be able
    to demonstrate 'em to Mom, boss...!").

The week we did our big Pac-Man release, I went into the radio production studio, and taught myself how to remove vocals
    from a record, to make my own re-sing of "Pac Man Fever", loaded with Penney's references. That thing played full-bore all
    through the store for days afterwards!

Now playing on Ariel Stream: Weekend Players w/Rachel Foster - I'll Be There

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  23. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Playing the crap out of Super Mario Brothers 1-3 and Donkey Kong. Wish I still had the games and base unit. Thanks Katrina!

24. Antifrodis

Antifrodis Forum Resident

I was still playing my Atari 2600 when the NES came out. I never gave up on the Atari, even during the great video game crash of the mid-80's. I was well aware of its shortcomings, since I played a lot of arcade games and was always disappointed with the 2600 adaptations. Anyhow, during the summer of 1987, my older brother became obsessed with his new boom box, and would bring it with him and record audio of whatever he was doing. He went away to visit a friend for the weekend. When he came home, he was playing back a tape that he recorded of some inane chatter between him and a couple friends, and I noticed some video game music in the background of the recording. It didn't sound anything like the poor quality Atari 2600 blips and bleeps. It sounded like something you would hear at an arcade. There were actually more than 2 notes playing simultaneously! So I asked him what it was that I was hearing, and he mentioned that his friend's older brother just got a NINTENDO video game system. I knew that name! They made Donkey Kong and Mario Bros; Two of my favorite arcade titles! Without ever seeing or playing the thing, I asked for it for my birthday. A month later, I had one! It was the last one available at Venture department store and it was a return, so it had been opened already. I believe it was $88 and some change. I turned it on and popped in Super Mario Brothers and there was that same music from my brother's tape! It sounded wonderful! The graphics were light years better than the Atari. From that point on, I was sold. The Atari was quickly packed away and I started accumulating NES games. I'm still a fan to this day. A lot of those old games are still very playable.

25. Antifrodis

Antifrodis Forum Resident

I remember seeing a picture of Chubby Cherub in the "Nintendo Players Guide" book that they put out in the late 80's. It was the only game in the entire book that I never heard of. I never saw it for sale or rent and none of my friends owned it. I played it many years later and realized I wasn't missing a thing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.