Tori Amos: Under the Pink Re-issue LP 15/07/13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by otherdimension, Jul 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. otherdimension

otherdimension Senior Member Thread Starter

2. otherdimension

3. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

I have the pink one too , gorgeous !

4. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

5. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Thanks for posting this. :)

6. cement_head

cement_head Forum Resident

Will this be on pink vinyl?

7. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Somebody needs to reissue the vinyl of Little Earthquakes.

Some of the MOV releases are digital. Can Little Earthquakes be pressed all analog?

Randy S likes this.
  8. cement_head

I'll let you know - just bought a copy of the limited runs (pink vinyl). Should have bought it twenty years ago for $10.

9. otherdimension

Please report back with your review of the sound quality

10. cement_head

Will do - incidently, MusicDirect has a 10% sale; use the "USA10" coupon code.

11. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I'm sure most of Tori Amos's recordings are digital but at least some of Little Earthquakes may have been analogue recorded. Pretty sure final masters are digital. 24/96 files should exceed the original source quality. In fact the first (rejected) version of Earthquakes is shown as a DAT tape in 'The Piano' compilation booklet.

12. Randy S

Randy S Ibuprofen junkie In Memoriam

Glad they are doing this one but why wouldn't they do Little Earthquakes too??? :realmad:

13. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

I have her first three on vinyl (including the pink-vinyl of this one) and they all sound great. One of the few artists of that era with whom I was conscientious about getting the vinyl while it was available! Great album, too...I'm still kind of amused at my reaction to the line about her friend "burning his CDs" - this being 1994, I thought she meant setting fire to them! ;)

14. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

I'm a fan of Under the Pink, but this seems like a really long album to cram onto one record. It also has a lot of quiet sections too. I realize they're keeping the release like the original vinyl, but I think they should have gone for a double lp.

pghmusiclover and brokenhanger like this.
  15. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I was surprised to read in the PIANO box that they had lost some of the mixes, IIRC from those first couple albums and EPs. I don't know if what was lost was actual studio tape, master mixes or what have you.

Granted, there are millions of redbook copies of the finished work out there, but I was surprised that an artist of her relatively quick success and stature at a major label would have archival material that was already MIA.

16. pghmusiclover

Yes, I was surprised this wasn't pressed on a double-LP also.

17. Luxury_Liner

Luxury_Liner Senior Member

She also mentioned this at the time of the Tales of a Librarian Collection during interviews about the album. She said one of the reasons they had to remix the stuff was because some master mixes were missing. But then again there was also a lengthy interview on an audio magazine where they said they remixed the tracks to give the 'best of' album a more cohesive sound. But she did bring up the missing tapes issue quite a few times.

That said... I wish they did a double LP of Scarlet's Walk. (And while they're at it they could throw in a 10'' disc of the Scarlet's Hidden Treasures EP to round out the whole thing!)

Richard.

otherdimension likes this.
  18. otherdimension

Good news! Its coming according to Elusive Disc!!!!

19. Randy S

Randy S Ibuprofen junkie In Memoriam

Wow! Many thanks for this great news!

otherdimension likes this.
  20. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

yeh sept. 17th it looks like on WEA

21. pghmusiclover

I am surprised this is not being pressed on a double-LP.

22. Classicrock

Re:Little Earthquakes.
    It would make sense to do it as a double, including the tracks dropped from the original running order that would have made it even better. Most appeared as single/EP tracks.

Hep Alien, Davidmk5 and pghmusiclover like this.
  23. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I wrote AF a few years ago suggesting Little Earthquakes as a gold CD. I think it would sell quite well. It's a nice recording.

24. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Do you have information, or are you just guessing?

It was still common to record major label albums in analog back in the early 90s.

25. Classicrock

By 1992 more recordings were digital than analogue. Certainly digital mixing. Few got an LP issue anyway. 'The Piano' box booklet shows a picture of the DAT master of the original tracks recorded. Mastering to DAT was commonplace though this may have been for presentation purposes in this case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.