Recommendations for Deep Purple Newbie?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BillyK, Jul 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zen

zen Senior Member

[​IMG]

There's the 72/73 live DVD, for a whole other perspective. :tiphat:

[​IMG]

Again, the DVD experience (for the Concerto) might be beneficial. :)

Clanceman likes this.
  2. BillyK

BillyK Forum Resident Thread Starter

Will probably get the CDs eventually but seeing that ITunes had a few of the above mentioned albums for $4.99-$8.99 - I just picked them up there. Really enjoying them so far.

3. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

If you can find a good copy of it.

Most vinyl copies are trashed. The Japanese CD is hard to find and commands high prices. The CD was never released in the US, AFAIK.

4. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

This!

+ This! ^^^.........only I would say "as" enjoyable and not "more"

zen likes this.
  5. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I don't usually go for compilations, but it really was Deepest Purple that began my lifelong obsession with the band. In that regard, I'm glad I started there.

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  6. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Deep Purple has a lot of albums and a lot of history, several different key lineup changes.

To explore their back catalog with no idea of what's what could be kind of daunting. Especially all the live stuff or various Deep Purple Archive releases that I won't even try to cover.

Folks have already recommended the live Made In Japan album and you can't go wrong there as a starting point.

Personal faves (studio albums only) to recommend from some of the lineups would be:

Machine Head (1972)
    Their masterpiece IMO. Great representation of the "Mark II" lineup which many consider to be the definitive one - Ian Gillan (vocals), Roger Glover (bass), Ritchie Blackmore (guitar), Jon Lord (keyboards), Ian Paice (drums). Killer songs, all infamous rock classics.

Burn (1974)
    First album from Mark III. David Coverdale takes over for Ian Gillan on vocals. Glenn Hughes in for Roger Glover on bass and also adds some major vocal counterpoints to Coverdale. Lord experiments with some new fangled keyboard sounds. Blackmore still slays on guitar. Many great songs - the more funky stuff hadn't got introduced, which drove Blackmore out. I love this album.

Come Taste the Band (1975)
    Tommy Bolin replaces Blackmore. Although I guess I can't say "replaces" - nobody can "replace" the man in black. Bolin comes in and Purple make a radically different record. I loved it then, still love it now. Some people hate it though. The last 2 songs back to back are amazing.

Perfect Strangers (1984)
    The reunion of the Mark II lineup. Damn fine album IMO. Catchy songs like the title track and Knocking At Your Back Door.

Now What?! (2013)
    Latest album, new lineup although I've lost count as to what "Mark" number it is. Steve Morse on guitar. Don Airey on keyboards. I'm blown away by how good it is. I have absolutely HATED all of the Purple records with Steve Morse except his first one (Purpendicular from 1996) but really really dig this one. Great songs IMO.

If you explore their catalog this way (sampling stuff from various lineups) maybe you'll find yourself digging one over the other and want more from those. Although of course not every record from each lineup is necessarily the same. I think the four Mark II albums from 1970-73 sound the most similar though and they are essential "essence" of what Deep Purple is to me - that would be Deep Purple in Rock (1970), Fireball (1971), Machine Head (1972), and Who Do We Think We Are (1973).

I have the Mark I records from the 1960's, with Rod Evans on vocals and Nick Simper on bass, but don't listen to them very often. I think they are worth exploring but can't really recommend them. Kind of like heavy pop psychedelia. Some of this period is quite good and kind of iconic (Hush, Wring that Neck) but some I don't know what to make of (like a cover of Kentucky Woman by Neil Diamond).

Scopitone, Carserguev and zen like this.
  7. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Nice to read this. I guess you also feel this album is simply different, as I do. It's one of the reasons I'm enjoying it so much.

8. zen

zen Senior Member

Well, it's officially Mark 8, but it's really Mark 7, as I see it. I never bought into the Satriani period as a "Mark." No studio album, no deal. Just filling in for Blackmore 'til Morse.

Gotta have all four.

Scopitone likes this.
  9. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I'm not sure how to view that lineup either as far as the "Marks" go! Btw I think Satch would have been a better fit than Morse is, but I am a fan of both. In a selfish way I guess I am glad he didn't stay in Purple, I love his solo stuff more than I like Morse's, and I would have lost out on a lot of Satch solo albums if he had stayed in Purple. Would have been interesting to see what he would have contributed songwise though if they did make an album with him.

Definitely!

10. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

[​IMG]

Clanceman likes this.
  11. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Good starting place.
    Then go with Classic era; Machine Head. I then went to Perfect Strangers as I remember when it first came out and seeing the video for "Knocking At Your Back Door" on Much Music. The rest of my Purple experience was scattered between Live issues (CD & DVD) and different early albums thanks to record company sending advances.
    Hope that helps you a bit.
    Cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.