LP Mailers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by peter, Jul 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peter

peter Senior Member Thread Starter

Hello all.

I need some help.

I typically buy new LP mailers from The Packaging Store in San Francisco to send out the LP's I sell. These measure approx. 12.5" x 12.5" x 1." I buy the NON variable depth model, as I find I can make a more secure package with this rather than the variable depth model.

My problem is that the price on these has increased to over $4.00 per. I am looking for a cheaper source, but online, all I find are the variable depth mailers.

Does anyone know where I can buy the non variable depth model at a good price. FWIW, the cat. number on the ones from the Pack. Store in SF is F7.

Many thanks.

2. Patrick

Patrick Senior Member

3. peter

I did. No luck. It seems that the Pack. Store has a lock on these mailers. $4.14 each with tax.

4. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

What's wrong with the third one down in the Bags U link? I've never had any problem with multi folds, myself, but if you insist on a rigid box that sounds like it's much like you're buying, only deeper, and at half the price. Maybe show a picture of this Packaging store box?

5. You can use any cardboard box you can find and cut it to size. A pizza box works great. Buy a roll of bubble wrap and tape it properly.....done!

6. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Digital-G likes this.
  7. peter

Guys, with all due respect, I sell a lot of expensive records here and I take my obligations and privileges selling here very seriously. I simply will not use inferior mailers. With variable depth ones, I always have a problem getting it to fold where I want it & that is why I try to use exclusively the one inch depth ones only. I have experimented with other mailers, and though no one has complained about my packaging, it is I who am not satisfied. I appreciate the responses, but I will continue to search until I find this F7 mailer at a better price.

8. If you are selling expensive records, a $4 mailer is inconsequential to the final sale, no ?

utahusker likes this.
  9. peter

Obviously, but the issue becomes more relevant when I am selling a $20.00 record incl. shipping and the shipping is $4 and the mailer is $4.00.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. Combination

11. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

I find with the variable depth box, using thick cardboard spacers fills the extra space and makes the package more secure. The added weight is inconsequential.

quicksrt and sublemon like this.
  12. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

* note to self: do not buy records worth more than $1 from john72953

13. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

You are to be commended! I typically use the variable-depth 'cruciform' mailers. Since any record being shipped should have at least one stiffener added on each side (in addition to the cardboard mailer itself) its relatively easy to add 'filler' to bring the contents to the perforated fold mark so it folds over cleanly. Of course, the value of the LP should be proportional to the thickness of stiffener added. :)

quicksrt and auburn278 like this.
  14. peter

Correct, except I find it easier to fill up a non variable depth mailer. Using these is simply faster and, for me, results in a more secure package. But, thanks to all who responded.

15. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

What about these: https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-3129-album-mailer-folder.aspx

I sold for years using these and a record dealer friend of mine uses them as well. I've never had an issue and they are even reusable 1 or 2 times more by whoever gets them.

Oh and I'll add I do a lot of mail order and most places I buy from use these type. I've never had a serious issue either.

16. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

17. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I learned a lesson today that reusing Soundstage Direct boxes is a terrible idea.

[​IMG]

billdcat likes this.

18. Not to worry, I won't be selling any. However, when I have I used proper boxes (I have a supply).

19. Combination

Huh? I thought their boxes were grade A stuff! :pug:

20. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Well, apparently the LP is still good so in the end the box did serve it's purpose but I think I got lucky. I feel using a standard LP mailer would've been a better option, and it wouldn't have arrived to my buyer looking straight out of amateur hour. I packaged it exactly how they send it, too, minus the thank you letter. I won't be reusing their boxes again.

So I'm also interested to know of where to find Peter's desired mailers for a good price. I don't sell often but I take my role as a seller seriously, too.

21. peter

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  22. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

I've reused boxees from Soundstage Direct and never had an issue.

tubesandvinyl likes this.
  23. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

This was probably an exception as opposed to the norm, but the way this box is beat up makes me think that standard LP mailers might be subject to generally less abuse since it's a smaller, thinner, package. I might use them again in the future if I'm in a pinch. But I also don't like thinking that I'd have to use a lot more tape and bubble packets to make it more damage proof. Just seems there's less hassle in a good, standard, mailer.

24. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

I have bought LPs from Peter before this is no B.S. The idiot sellers on flea bay should be half this good.

25. billdcat

billdcat Well-Known Member

AT least they didn't fold the record in half to use a smaller box .

mikeyt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.