Sony XA5400ES vs Oppo BDP-105

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by tnt95, Jul 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tnt95

tnt95 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Trying to decide between the Sony/Oppo and looking for comments from those who have owned/heard both units. To be used for 2 channel (CD/SACD) playback only.

2. muckrocker

muckrocker Active Member

Here's a thread for what you're seeking, but different Oppo Model. Might offer some insight.

But the Sony is strictly for audio so it should sound better than the Oppo. But for versatile uses I'd go for the Oppo, plus it offers DSD.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1385487/oppo-95-or-sony-xa5400es

3. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Just because for the same price the Oppo has much more features doesn't mean it's audio compartment must be worse.

4. socalcm

socalcm Forum Resident

I own both and both are very good. If I was doing 2ch audio only with no video display, the Sony wins. The Oppo really needs a video display to operate. The Sony is at least as good sonically and easier to use in a 2ch system. If you can find the Sony, you can't go wrong with it, it is a great player for what it costs.

Mr Bass likes this.
  5. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I really liked the Sony. I've replaced mine with a Denon DCD-A100 SACD/DAC and prefer the sound, and the build, and at a discounted price it was the same as the Sony. If you can audition one of those it's definitely worth a listen.

ultron9 likes this.
  6. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

There is no way I would pass on the Oppo. It is the Swiss Army Knife of audio players and can stream DSD out of your computer.

tmtomh and Vidiot like this.
  7. muckrocker

muckrocker Active Member

I don't believe I said that. Regardless, I would buy the Oppo any day over the Sony since I've owned both Oppo and Sony ES players and my opinion is that Oppo's are superior in almost every facet.

tmtomh and Vidiot like this.
  8. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Each side have their loyal supporters. Please do not insult either party.

Bill Mac likes this.
  9. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I have never heard the 5400 or the 105 but own the 103. I'm a big fan of Oppo players but for a 2 channel only system I'd be inclined to go with the 5400. I really would like to hear the 5400 but I doubt I will. I use the 103 for 2 stereo SACDs, multichannel SACDs, DVD-As and BluRays. So the 5400 would be an expensive player to add to my system that might not get much use.

Bill

10. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I have never heard either the Sony or the 103, but I own the 105. Much of the additional cost (over the 103) related to audio improvement.

11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Geoff,

I agree :). Both the 5400 and the 105 are excellent players.

Bill

tmtomh and ultron9 like this.
  12. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I have both the 5400 and the 103. Both are great. Which one is better at audio? IMO, nod to the 54000 (but the 103 is no slouch). You can't really go wrong with one or the either or both.

Dave and ultron9 like this.
  13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

John,

It was a tough choice between the 103 and 105 as I was upgrading from a 83SE. But in the end I went with the 103 due to the 105's higher price. I have a feeling I will end up with a 105 in the future when the 113/115 are released :).

Disclaimer: I'm just guessing on the 113/115 as I have no inside information on future Oppo players ;).

Bill

14. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Todd,

Thanks for your thoughts :). It is good to know that the 103 is no slouch when compared to the 5400.

Bill

15. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

MacGyver would use the Oppo 105. But then again he can make an FM transmitter out of a magnet, spool of thread, chicken wire, a nail, a watch crystal and a AA battery.

16. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Yes, but could he rip SACDs using an out of date PS3 and some funky firmware?

Jim T likes this.
  17. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

---------------------
    I'll be he has a work-around for a Commodore 64. Now we're talkin.

john greenwood likes this.
  18. socalcm

socalcm Forum Resident

Just for fun, I decided to do a 2ch only direct A/B of the Sony 5400ES vs. the Oppo 105 and then compare them to my reference Esoteric K-01 for some perspective. This was a highly scientific study using the Living Stereo Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No. 1 SACD (because I happen to have two of them). I generally think that dynamic orchestral music is the best test anyway. The Sony IMO is the better player. It has a slightly more solid, focused presentation with a little better sense of the instruments within the orchestra. This was very close and the Oppo is a very good player -- there is no 'wrong' choice here. The Oppo plays a little "louder" and I had to adjust volume level. Both were connected using XLR. I could see someone else preferring the Oppo's sound. The K-01 is far superior to either the Sony or the Oppo. The system: Wilson Alexandria X2S2, Boulder 2060, ARC RefAnniv Preamp.

19. muckrocker

muckrocker Active Member

I'd hope the 5400ES would sound better than the Oppo 105 in 2 channel audio, same with the Esoteric blowing both off the chart. I'm not even sure what the top of the line ES Blu-Ray/Multi use player is? Seems like that would be a better comparison for the Oppo.

Linger63 and ultron9 like this.
  20. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Both have a large variety of aftermarket mods available also, which are probably worth looking into and might change one's opinion of their audio reproduction.

Linger63 and ultron9 like this.
  21. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Very much so - I am a big fan of the late Allen Wright's work (Vacuum State Electronics) and his board is more reasonably priced than Dan Wright's elegant solution. Both are very nice and make a huge change to the 5400. I haven't heard a modified Oppo but they have some good reviews. I can only comment on what I have heard.

Linger63, MarkJM and muckrocker like this.
  22. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

I've had the chance to demo both the Modwright Oppo 105 and the Modwright Sony 5400 a while back, and I own the Modwright Oppo 105. Dan's tube mod is similar in both units, and both players are excellent and compete with players double their respective price points. I went with the Oppo because it's a true universal player, and you can use it as a DAC.

muckrocker likes this.
  23. dbturbo2

dbturbo2 Forum Resident

The 5400ES appears to be the only ES option currently available on Sony's website.

ultron9 and muckrocker like this.
  24. muckrocker

muckrocker Active Member

I noticed that too. I did see some very nice BDP ES players on Ebay and their price was surprisingly low--- under $500. Not sure if they play SACD, assuming they don'tvat that price.

The best thing about Oppo is the resell value.

25. socalcm

socalcm Forum Resident

Kal Rubinson wrote in Stereophile that he thought the Oppo 105 sounded better than the Sony 5400ES in 2ch using a system with Aerial 7T, McIntosh 303, and Parasound preamp. In my system, I thought the Sony was better which I suspect may be due to the amplifiers. The McIntosh has a flatter, less 3D sound compared to the relentlessly neutral Boulder 2060.

For multichannel, the Oppo 105 is AFAIK currently the best.

ultron9 and muckrocker like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.