Waiting on my new Audible Illusions M3B preamp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Sam, Jul 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam

Sam Senior Member Thread Starter

Ken Clark, GuinnessDan and bluemooze like this.
  2. macster

macster Forum Resident

Beautiful.

M~

3. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

My M3B has the black faceplate. It is a great sounding unit. I love the dual stepped volume controls. When I had the M3A I was always fiddling to try to make sure that my left and right volume controls matched.

jupiterboy likes this.
  4. Sam

My new M3B has arrived. Wow, it is beautiful. If there are any other M3B audible illusions users out there, contact as I have a few questions.

googlymoogly and fortherecord like this.
  5. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

That is a very nice looking pre-amp. Please provide a review once you have some hours of listening in.

6. dhoffa85

dhoffa85 Well-Known Member

very nice I have much older Modulus 2

7. Sam

I'll need to break it in before I comment on sound quality, but the build quality is outstanding. Also, I must state that I ordered this factory direct from Audible Illusion's new factory in Florida, and the time frame for delivery was as promised by Art Ferris. Once they received my check, I had the preamp 4 weeks later. They also gave me a very generous trade-in on my 1994 M3 pre-amp, actually giving me more than I paid for it almost 20 years ago. That's customer appreciation! They don't advertise anymore because of the simple fact that they don't need to. From what I'm told, they have more than enough business based on word of mouth and past history. It's just nice to know that they are still in business. More to follow.

quicksilverbudie and bluemooze like this.
  8. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

Good to hear as I have a M3A from 1999 that I luv with the John Curl phono stage>

sean

9. macster

macster Forum Resident

Has anyone tried their amps? I would think that the combination of the pre and power amps would be killer.

M~

10. Sam

I've always loved the sound of the AI combined with my solid state Krell.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  11. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

The Curl phono board was really outstanding. I had a M3 in 1998 it was a great preamp with a fantastic phono section.

12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Never heard anything but raves about that brand! Congrats!

13. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

nice, i've always been interested in trying an AI preamp

14. Sam

Sounding very nice over the weekend, but needs to break in to really open up. What is the best way to break in a tube preamp? Do I need to have music playing through the speakers or is it sufficient just to leave the thing on?

15. quicksilverbudie

Run a signal through the Pre-amp, I use CDs (repeat) to break-in tubes new gear>

sean

16. Sam

Does the amp need to be on? In other words, does music have to be coming out of the speakers?

17. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

Congratulations...the AI preamps are damn fine. I've been using a 3A for about 9 years now.

18. quicksilverbudie

Nope, not really just have the signal go through the pre-amp from either a tuner or CD player with the mute on if you have one, just in case you turn on your amp. But I do prefer to hear the break-in process so I do run my amp/speakers when breakin' in a new pre-amp or new source, what ever works for you>

sean

19. Sam

I wanted to post an update on my new AI M3B preamp. I've been breaking it in for over a week now and this baby is really starting to bloom. Out of the box, it was somewhat constricted, but that was to be expected with a tube preamp. The looks and build quality are top notch within this price category as well as much more expensive categories. Plus, I need to note that AI always seems to take it on the chin in terms of time for service and new product builds. In this experience, this was not the case. I had the preamp in my hands, as promised, one month after my order was in. And, Art let me keep my old AI3 until the new one arrived, as I had received a fantastic price on upgrading to the new preamp by trading in the old one.

So what am I hearing with the new M3B? I'm hearing a greater soundstage presentation in terms of width and depth. There's more reverb and air around musical instruments. Voices are focused within the soundstage with greater precisions than what was possible before. I'm hearing familiar recordings with soundstage placement cues that never were so apparent with the M3. Bass is also fleshed out more, being both deeper and cleaner as to what is actually on the recording. Levels are nicely matched between inputs. I no longer have to turn the volume controls way down when using the aux input vs the phono input. Same goes for the Video input. There's a wider use on the Volume pots then was previously allowed for with the old M3. The midrange is still to die for, but the sense of upper frequency extension is evident without hardness or brightness. Needless to say, I'm very happy with my purchase, and glad that AI is still making and improving upon their full function preamp. I realize that I own this thing and that makes me biased, but I still highly recommend this product. For the price, you get a killer phono stage as well. A great bargin.

hi_watt and fortherecord like this.
  20. dhoffa85

this is what I found on my M2 vs other pre's I had owned. I feel this is what they are known for. but bet yours is much better.

21. Sam

Ok, this preamp is really magic. I highly recommend this AI M3B preamp to ANYONE who's in the market for a new preamp. Plus, this one comes with a killer phono section. Now that several weeks have gone by and the unit is broken in, my system is singing! Even CDs that I thought were somewhat "edgy" have a more analog like quality to them. Just amazing. And great vinyl, like the new 45 rpm Doors AP releases, are now jaw-dropping. I never had this type of improvement from a component upgrade before. Two thumbs up for the Audible Illusions design team.:edthumbs:

22. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

I've thought for a long time that audible illusions offered the best affordable preamplifier around.

23. dhoffa85

i traded mine because I wasn't using it but I agree they make really nice pre amps.

24. JBryan

JBryan Forum Resident

I enjoyed the Mod3A for years and when I upgraded, my brother-in-law jumped at the opportunity to put it in his system. I'm sure he'll be very pleased to find that AI will give him $2200 for it in trade considering what he paid for his. The only concern I had with it was that it was notoriously hard on tubes. In a matter of months, I went through quite a few very nice tube sets from Amprex, Telefunken and Mullard (or Brimar) before I finally happened upon some Tungsram 7308's that held up to the strain and have been singing along for the last 10 years or so (I gave him an extra set that he has yet to use).

Its a little odd that AI offers $250 more for the pre-2000 units, with or without the J. Curl phono board. Did they switch over to the new tube set after 2000 or is it something else that sets the 2 apart...loyalty maybe?

25. Sam

The new tubes (6H23EB) are outstanding for their sound and longevity. I don't know when they switched over to them. As far as trade-in allowances, I must say that Art Ferris was very generous to me. Usually, from what he told me, they don't really like to take in on trade the older M3 units before the M3A came out. But I think they can still sell them once they have been cleaned and brought up to spec. Anyway, he took my old unit in trade, and my deal came out to be my 1994 M3 unit and $1950 for a new M3B. Heck, that's more than I paid for the unit almost 20 years ago. Now that's what I call equipment holding its value! I highly recommend AI. They are still in business and still producing some of the finest preamps around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.