Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #48)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jun 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

May 9/10 1947 Recording Site: Republic (Movie) Studios, Hollywood - RCA Victor Symphony, William Steinberg cond. Released 5/1950

2. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Per the OP 1947.

3. JulesDassin

JulesDassin Forum Resident In Memoriam

Thanks for the recommendation ,I just received my Vivarte Box set ordered from Zoverstocks amazon marketplace I got the whole box for about 72.00 including shipping and tax and I must say it looks like total quality, gonna be fun playing this ... but now I have an abundance of treasure RCA Living Stereo Box, Philips Original Jackets Box, Mercury Living Presence Vol 2 Box and a newly acquired Scarlatti Harpsichord Box by Scott Ross...gonna have to put the rock n'roll down for a while and listen to some real oldies :)

4. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

That's a lotta Scarlatti. I have a three disc set from the box, and I wouldn't mind more, but I cannot justify too big an expense. (I wish there was a 10 disc set.)

Did you find it at a good price?

JulesDassin likes this.
  5. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

The monumental Scott Ross recordings of the 555 sonatas! I had got the original box 20 years ago.

JulesDassin likes this.
  6. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Would you recommend this performance or was SACD your main reason for buying this one? I find it very difficult to listen to solo organ, but I'm always interested in expanding my listening repertoire.

7. JulesDassin

JulesDassin Forum Resident In Memoriam

$76.00 including shipping and tax at amazon marketplace for a new Box and worth every penny imo ...I'm a Guitarist but if I could choose any other instrument to play it would be harpsichord I just luv that sound and Scott Ross (R.I.P) was the best imo.

8. George P

George P Way Down Now Thread Starter

Just ordered:

[​IMG]

9. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Happy second listening?

10. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Indeed Wolfgang Sawallisch and Janos Starker were 2 big-name international artists I have left out ...

11. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Great George! This Mozart PC 23 is so juicy. A Great CD in any case not only because of the Schumann and Mozart ctin but also due to these Schumann piano pieces that Rubinstein favored and played all over the world all his life.

PH416156 likes this.
  12. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Great George! This Mozart PC 23 is so juicy. A Great CD in any case not only because of the Schumann and Mozart ctin but also due to these Schumann piano pieces that Rubinstein favored and played all over the world all his life.

PH416156 likes this.
  13. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

PH416156 likes this.
  14. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

PH416156 likes this.
  15. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

4 times is enough I know...:mad:

16. George P

Third, actually. And yes, very happy.

17. George P

:thumbsup:

no.nine likes this.
  18. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

19. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

Following on from my posts about Hindemith last week, here's this great discovery I've just been listening to through Spotify (the first piece):

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000005Z6V/ref=dm_dp_cdp?ie=UTF8&s=music

The one act opera belongs firmly to Hindemith's expressionist period, and is the final part of a triptych of operas in a similar vein, all from 1921 (the other two being Mörder, Hoffnung der Frauen and Das Nusch-Nuschi, all of which I haven't heard - look forward to doing so!). The work is quite different in style from the neo-classical pieces that were to follow shortly during the 1920s, but is testimony to what a great and versatile (and once again, underrated) composer he is. The music is intensely dramatic, illustrating in graphic and vivid detail its libretto (more detailed synopsis here) of a group of nuns' horrifying descent from chastity as they succumb into total sexual temptation (like his other one-act operas, this caused a minor scandal during its premiere in Frankfurt, and even as recently as 1995 its content has met with disapproval from Christian organizations), with still quite rich and sensuous late romantic orchestration, with its roots in R. Strauss, Mahler, Debussy and early Bartok, and with lush strings, wind solos and tuned percussion in abundance. The expressionistic aspect clearly descends from the Schoenberg and his Viennese disciples, but the harmonies aren't as dissonant; despite being on the verge of atonality in places and with vocal writing somewhat reminiscent of his Sprechgesang in Pierrot Lunaire, they're often based on clearly identifiable major, minor and augmented triads, with the work ending in a blaze of defiance on hammered out Eb minor chords. Here's the vocal score for anyone interested:

http://imslp.org/wiki/Sancta_Susanna,_Op.21_(Hindemith,_Paul)#Vocal_Scores

With such a incredibly prolific composer, it's amazing that so little (not just in percentage, but number) remains known of Hindemith's work to the general public with public performances of his output restricted to a handful of the same tried and trust works, because there's just so much great and varied music sorely awaiting discovery from one of the most important composers of the 20th century. This is a really gripping and beautiful work, full of excitement and emotion and I can't believe I didn't even know about it until this morning. If this piece is any indication as to the quality of the music and performances on the rest of the disc, this recording comes highly recommended.

20. john greenwood

A very good price. Cheapest now is over $100.

Do you listen to transcriptions of Scarlatti for guitar? I have quite a few. Mostly performed as duets, but I treasure an OOP disc by Narciso Yepes. I also have Eliot Fisk's great SACD.

And last night I found a disc of transcriptions for the harp, which I ordered.

21. john greenwood

Are you that anxious to get to thread 49? :D

22. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

The only one I have is by Fernandez for Decca:

[​IMG]

Domenico Scarlatti (1685~1757) : -- Sonata in A minor , Kk 175
    -- Sonata in A major (original E major ), Kk 206
    -- Sonata in A major (original D major ), Kk 430
    -- Sonata in D major (original B flat major ), Kk 544
    -- Sonata in G minor , Kk 450

Jean-Philippe- Rameau (1683~1764):
    -- Musette en Rondeau
    -- Deux Rigaudons
    -- Deuxieme Gigue en Rondeau
    -- Les Sauvages
    -- Les Cyclopes
    -- La Villageoise
    -- Tambourin

Domenico Scarlatti (1685~1757) : -- Sonata in B minor , Kk 377
    -- Sonata in A major (original E major ), Kk 403
    -- Sonata in D major (original C major ), Kk 513
    -- Sonata in G minor (original D minor ), Kk 141

kevinsinnott likes this.
  23. john greenwood

[​IMG]

Hey - the Yepes Scarlatti disc is still available via Amazon!

24. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

Super fun to listen to...if done well brass can live with strings!:thumbsup:

[​IMG]

25. john greenwood

I have a couple of other discs by Fernandez, but not that.

I have duet arrangements of Scarlatti sonatas on discs by the Assad Brothers, Presti and Lagoya Grey and Pearl and maybe one other pair. Plus a few more by individual guitarists on Baroque transcription discs. The Yepes is the only guitar disc I have devoted entirely to Scarlatti.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.