Beatles '83 colorband - Magical Mystery Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JamesD1957, Jul 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

The C1's of the US Capitol releases ("Meet The Beatles", "Second Album", "Something New", etc.) are excellent. The C1's that mimic the UK releases are from the 1987 digital masters.

2. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Right, but MMT got caught up in that, presumably because it got released on CD as well, despite being a Capitol album.

3. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well, I've got a retro rainbow MMT coming in this week. I'll do a direct comparison to my 75ish Apple and let you know. My original rainbow is a bit too grooveworn to make a decent comparison. Wish I'd known how to take better care of records when I was 11! I'll include deadwax info as well.

4. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Exactly. The C1 I have of MMT is the 1987 digital mix. Purple label.

5. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I wasn't aware that there were "Wally" orange label pressings, but, in a roundabout way, you've answered my original question.

It would appear that the "Wally" pressings and 80's colorbands (which may be the same thing) are superior to the MFSL and Parlophone pressings (which, as I understand, come from the same source). Comparing the samples of the MFSL and 1983 colorband at Beatledrops seems to confirm this. http://www.beatledrops.com/magical_mystery_tour.html

Any other opinions? Dissenters?

6. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Sorry - I was going off memory when I posted. The orange label I have has "Wly" not "Wally", and it's only on Side 1, but both sides have MASTERED BY CAPITOL and the handwriting of the matrix numbers is very similar on both sides, so I assume they are both done by Wally Traugott. And the sound is excellent.

Matrix info:
    Side 1 - SMAL-1-2835-F34 MASTERED BY CAPITOL Wly
    Side 2 - SMAL-2-2835-F34 MASTERED BY CAPITOL

Both sides have the "wine glass".

7. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

My Hollywood Bowl album has "Wly", but my purple label Rubber Soul has "Wally". Both are Wally Traugott sigs, AFAIK.

8. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

My 80's rainbow copy (which I bought around 1986) has this:

SMAL-1-2835 G-57
    SMAL-2-2835 G-61

9. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

My 80s rainbow is the same, Zodiac. Found it a couple weeks ago after learning it has the original mix of "Strawberry Fields Forever". Now going back and forth on whether to sell my blue-vinyl copy of 1967-1970.

10. JamesD1957

Just received the '83. Deadwax info same as Zodiac. Definitely quieter vinyl. Bass (and depth) seems to be more prominent than my 75 Apple, but not as overpowering as a German. As I listen more, I'm hearing maybe more bass response than the German lp on songs like YMSK, MMT, and HG. Obviously not as much bass as BYARM. Balance on this lp seems to be fantastic! I'm hearing clear lows, mids, and highs! Instrument clarity is well defined. SFF is definitely the '66 mix, and it's the best I've ever heard it! Listening to BJW, and the cello just pops out! This lp makes the 75 Apple sound abit cloudy if that makes sense. Very pleased with this purchase, and my vote says that it is the best of the US pressings without a single doubt. Not trying to poke the beast, but I believe this gives the German a run for it's money, at least compared to the German Apple I have. Can't compare it to a HorZu because I don't own one!

11. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

But HorZu will ultimately win out because it isn't mostly fake stereo on side 2.

12. JamesD1957

Point taken, and I'm sure the vast majority will agree with you, but, when this is what you grew up on, at least in my case, it DOES win!

13. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Not to mention the exotic foreign allure of HorZu over plain-jane Capitol. It's like comparing a Mercedes Benz to a Chevrolet.

14. JamesD1957

Okay, I'm going to throw this out there since the "fake" stereo versions are my favorite. I believe we all agree that the Beatles themselves were involved with the mono mixes, and left the stereo mixes to other people. So it's not really like we are going against what the Beatles wanted, just against what some engineer put together. Having stated that, here's my point: Just because it's "fake" doesn't on its own make it worse. It just makes it different. I compare this to the old days when I would walk into a stereo store (dang, I miss those days) and listen to speakers. The sales person might sing the praises of a particular set of speakers, but what it ultimately came down to, was which pair sounded good to ME! I don't really need somebody telling me what I like! I see the same thing as far as respecting or not respecting the fake stereo versions of the songs. I grew up with those, so those are the ones I prefer, even though I DO like the true stereo cuts as well. Oh, and my first car was a '63 Chevrolet. Really liked that car too!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.