Why are the Hudson Brothers so unloved?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by robroyfingerhead, Aug 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zen

zen Senior Member

Cause I LOVE the Andrews Sisters instead. :love:

2. vjf1968

vjf1968 Well-Known Member

Are you referring to his dismissal from Walt Disney Corp.? Those allegations were never proven. There was also an allegation from Danielle Brisebois but again, they were not made under oath and no charges were ever filed. Of course you could say "Where there is smoke, there's fire" but unless there is documented evidence and charges filed it's just hearsay. I'm defending him but unless some solid evidence proves something I'm not going to malign the guy either.

3. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

4. vjf1968

vjf1968 Well-Known Member

Those lawsuits involved other parties and not Mark Hudson. In the article it does say he left Hollywood records due to complaints of harassment against him. In most work places the term "sexual harassment" has a broad definition. For all we know he told a few dirty jokes and offended a few people.

5. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I remember when their show was first coming on TV (summer replacement?)- they were described as a cross between the Beatles and the Marx Brothers. That much hype was just ridiculous.

6. Dr. Dennis O'Dell

Dr. Dennis O'Dell Well-Known Member

I loved 'So You Are A Star' as will, but always thought of them as 'minor league' overall.

Always wondered how Mark Hudson: a) came to be so important to Ringo, and; b) what caused the row that got him fired from the Ringo gig?

7. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

He took a gig to host a TV show when Ringo needed him, then the show bombed.

8. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I can't find that they did an album on the Playboy label. Which one?

I *wanted* to like the Hudson Brothers' music, but most of it is too cheesy for me. "So You Are a Star" is a good one though.

And for those who care but haven't seen it, I highly recommend their early '80s horror-comedy flick HYSTERICAL. The humor, while silly, is certainly more adult than their TV show. Cracked me up as a kid and it still cracks me up now.

9. pfink

pfink Forum Resident

There were just going by Hudson at the time (1972). The Playboy LP was also titled "Hudson".

10. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

maybe why are they ignored would be a better question.
    I wouldn't know a Hudson Brother if I tripped over one.
    Glen

11. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

There was also a Decca single as Everyday Hudson.

12. robroyfingerhead

robroyfingerhead New Member Thread Starter

I'd heard about the harassment charges and it started to cloud my view a little. The rainbow beard and ridiculous get-ups do no favors, for anyone, as well. But the fact remains that there are some glorious songs on those records, songs that belong in the same company as Power Pop greats from that era. I understand why they didn't sell a ton of records, but why is their credibility so negative and why are those albums and songs so obscure?

13. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Mark did some nice work with Ringo. I'm not aware of any legal stuff, but he was highly entertaining at several Beatle conventions I attended. I've spoken with him several times and he was quite pleasant. His music is also enjoyable, if you like Beatle-ish stuff you might want to take a listen..

14. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

By "Liverpool 8", Mark and Ringo's records had gotten formulaic. "Liverpool 8" is actually the weakest Ringo album since the early 80s when he was still drinking. So it was probably better for both that they parted ways. Ringo's "Y Not" has some great individual songs on it but as a whole, it's not better than most of his records with Mark Hudson. The 8-track album Ringo followed it up with, went completely unnoticed by this listener.

Mark Hudson, however, has self-released a solo album called "The Artist" in around 2007 or 08 through his website which is quite nice regarding its songs, though its sound is somewhat brickwalled.

My favourite work of Mark Hudson as a producer is what he did to Timothy B Schmit's album "Feed the Fire". That is just excellent.

What records has he worked on since then?

15. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I love the Hudson Brothers albums. Yes, the Saturday Morning show killed it for them at the same time exposing their music to me at least. I bought all their albums and loved them. Ba Fa is the best one but I also love Hollywood Situation despite the promotional photo from their Saturday gig. Also that last one as Hudson was really good too.

I think the biggest problem for the brothers was they weren't focused on just one career. They wanted to be stars. . .period. So, they did anything and everything. I think after their movie flopped they faced their own Hollywood Situation. You'd think marrying Goldie Hawn would have opened some doors for them. Still, trying to make it as brothers instead of individuals must not made it any easier on them.

As much as I was a fan of theirs, I could see their countless desperate attempts to stay in the limelight. They were always heavily pushing any possible vehicle for themselves. I remember them talking up an Oz remake with them in the three roles. One of the last times I saw them on TV was some kind of talk show where they were putting pressure on the host to have them back. It was embarrassing. Shame, too, because they were entertaining and their music was a bit Beatles-esque.

16. I hate to admit it, but, until reading this thread, I always confused them with The Bellamy Brothers (probably through a DJ misidentifying them on a radio broadcast), and thought they were responsible for "Let Your Love Flow," a song I heartily detest. Looking back, I never saw them on television, and may not have even heard any of their songsā€¦but at least they're now off the hook for LYLF!

17. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

Never heard of them until now.

18. Pizza

That's the one album I didn't like by them.

19. badfinger54

badfinger54 Senior Member

What does "Ba-Fa" mean or refer to?

20. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

Yeah, I enjoyed that.

21. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

I loved their show as a 4 year old and I think because of the targeted audience of the show my older siblings in their teens (ie, the record buying public) thought they were kid's stuff.

22. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

I never saw the show or heard the music as a kid, so it wasn't until I saw HYSTERICAL on HBO in the mid-80s that I found out who they were. I really liked their short-lived syndicated sketch show OFFSHORE TELEVISION from the late 80s, but even then I think I thought of them as comedians and not singers. It wasn't until the advent of online album sharing blogs that I was able to fully comprehend their musical legacy, along with some clips of RAZZLE DAZZLE on YouTube. I find the music pleasant, but nothing that draws me to repeat listens.

23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I have a really vague memory of their TV show, but when I think of the Hudson Brothers, I think K-Tel!

KTel.jpg

24. DennisF

DennisF Forum Resident

Couldn't agree more. I've seen him at Beatles conventions, and this guy talks like Ringo would be nothing without him. I loved it when I saw a woman try to pull his cap off and show everyone that he's a baldie. The way he crained his neck back to not allow it - he must practice that move. :D

25. Pizza

Sorry, but that was pretty rude of that lady. He's not a toy. If he wants to keep his head (bald or not) covered, that's his business.

somnar, majorlance and Gumboo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.