Would you buy the SACD of Judy Garland's JUDY AT CARNEGIE HALL if Steve Hoffman mastered it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lawrence Schulman, Aug 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lawrence Schulman

Lawrence Schulman Senior Member Thread Starter

Since we are in the middle of a spate of SACDs from such artists as Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra, and Dean Martin, in addition to Ella Fitzgerald and Billie Holiday, I was wondering if the ladies and gentlemen of this learned and wise forum would purchase Judy Garland's greatest performance from 1961, JUDY AT CARNEGIE HALL, on SACD if it were remastered by Steve Hoffman. A reminder that the historic and best-selling recording hasn't been remastered since the EMI/DCC set issued in 2000 and the Capitol one from 2001.

2. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

... and unfortunately the Capitol was mastered by Bob Norberg.

3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Absolutely. We have lots of "no" votes with no explanations. Are the people voting no satisfied with the DCC CD set, another CD set, an LP, or do they simply not like the recording?

I like the DCC set, but I would gladly buy an SACD mastered by Steve.

4. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I think there are a certain number of members here who, if it's not rock or metal, etc., have no interest in an artist like Judy Garland. Correct if I'm wrong. I don't think I am...

5. Lawrence Schulman

Lawrence Schulman Senior Member Thread Starter

I too am quite surprised by the voting so far. Any Hoffman mastering is an event, and even if you are not a Garland fan per se, her performance at Carnegie Hall is arguably the greatest live recording of classic American popular music in the 20th century.

6. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I voted no. The reason is that there are so many great recordings out there that deserve an audiophile release, and this one has been done before by DCC. Doesn't the DCC edition sound great? It's not hard to find a used copy for $40-$50.

Echo, Thurenity and chaz like this.
  7. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I voted no based on my desire for the SACD.
    I have the DCC which sounds fine.

I would end up with it because I'm a subscriber but it would quite likely be the very first AF I'd actually sell.
    Have only played the DCC once (don't like the music, I'm sorry I find Judy Garland really creepy :hide:)

8. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I'm also a subscriber but would welcome this to my ever growing collection as I don't own a copy in any configuration.

9. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I have had the DCC for years and haven't opened it. So I guess it's not high on my list of albums to listen to, and thus I vote "no".

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

No because I'm not interested in Judy Garland's music. I buy some AF titles from artists who aren't favorites, but I gotta have some vague theoretical interest in their work - or a hope that maybe I'll end up liking the albums. That's why I bought the Band, Bryan Adams and a few other "iffy to me" titles.

Judy? Talented woman - not my thing, so pass!

11. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

no because Im not a Judy fan.

12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

No, I wouldn't; not a fan of her music.

13. autodidact

autodidact Forum Resident

Similar feelings to others here. Voted no. Not a Judy Garland fan. This title has already been done by DCC for those who want a good copy.

Would prefer to see Audio Fidelity focus on many other great albums that have not been done. Gordon Lightfoot Sundown for example. Joni Mitchell SACD, perhaps? Norah Jones? Would love, love, love to see an Audio Fidelity release of XTC English Settlement. AF did the Sade albums in vinyl. How about a hybrid SACD of each?

Just so many possibilities that I would jump on if Steve did them. Not this one. *yawn*

chaz and jsayers like this.
  14. Sure I would buy it, but it wouldn't be high on my list of possible SACD titles.

15. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

No. I have no interest in Judy Garland at all.

16. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

not sure if I would buy it.would rather have the old dcc release but its not that cheap even second hand.

its certainly a wonderful set and I would love to hear steve's mastering of the unedited show.

17. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I'm not a firm yes or no but for sure I'd consider it. I'm not a Judy Garland fan and don't have any of her other recordings, but that album is something special and appeals well beyond her usual audience.

18. Tom Perry

Tom Perry Senior Member

I've never listened to Judy at Carnegie Hall (or any other Judy Garland album) Before voting, I randomly selected this from YouTube to listen to:

Doesn't appeal to me so I vote "No".

19. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

No thank you, but best of luck to you and the other Judy fans. I've been getting all the titles that make me happy lately ( CSN X 2 , Gorilla, Poco, America, and more ), so I wish for others to be just as happy as I am.

:tiphat:

20. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I found a version (not sure which) at a garbage (I mean antique) store a few months back for 50 cents and picked it up. Listened to it many times and enjoy it. I am far from a Judy Garland expert but I figure Steve Hoffman could only make it better.

21. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Not a fan of the music, hence I wouldn't buy, irrespective of whoever mastered it.

22. muckrocker

muckrocker Active Member

Since people are asking "Why the No's?" it's only because Judy Garland does not even cross my mind when it comes to music. I can't imagine it selling enough to support costs to get it up and distributed anyway.

23. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Judy is a Goddess but do you think EMI would let us do this again, unedited and remixed? No way. We had a few fans there back at EMI in the DCC days who let us do what we wanted on the Peggy Lee, Nat Cole, Judy, etc. (Susan King, Eli, Cheryl Pawelski who found the original three track "A and B sets" for us, etc.) but those days are gone.

However, here is an amazing picture from 1946 of Judy and her newborn daughter Liza Minnelli. Judy and Liza from Karen zuehike.jpg

stereoptic and audiomixer like this.
  24. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

25. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Ditto me. I'd like to see AF start mining the 80's, 90's and even 00's more, not going backwards even further.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.