Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality (and general discussion): Singles, Soundtracks, Etc.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Aug 10, 2013.

1. SinatraFan

SinatraFan Well-Known Member

My One And Only Love

The Japanese LP of This Is Sinatra is the one I like best. It really sounds nice.

rangerjohn and MLutthans like this.
  2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  3. MLutthans

Re: From Here to Eternity

I'm going with the Collectors Series Walsh/Furmanek mastering on "From Here to Eternity." To my ears, it's the one that has full-range top-end. I don't mean that it sounds bright (it doesn't, at least not to my ears), but that the others all sound like the treble is dialed down a notch. (The "D" LPs sound like they are dialed down about 3 notches.) There are many other excellent choices (The 1980s Japan LP reissue, for instance), but I prefer the top end on Collectors Series.

http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1953_-_SinglesEtc3.html

rangerjohn likes this.
  4. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Thanks Matt! I actually like the Dell version for this track. Its much nicer than the other tracks we've sampled from that LP so far.

MLutthans likes this.
  5. MLutthans

I could easily be swayed that way. I thought the Dell and the Japanese LP (along with a couple of the CDs) had very similar characteristics. All good choices, IMO.

There have been a few tracks where the Dell LP came across as bright, but on this one, it's pleasantly not-so, and the Furmanek/Walsh CD is the one with the more pronounced (but not necessarily bright) top end.

EDIT: After some serious A/B-ing today, the (minor) loudness in the UK 1998 CD does drop that one down just a small bit. Still good. For now, I'm sticking with the Furmanek/Walsh. YMMV, of course, which is why the clips are posted.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  6. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Matt, I think I'd choose the JPN LP first, and the COLLECTORS SERIES disc (and versions taken from it) second. In some ways the CD is better, but overall I prefer that LP.

7. MLutthans

Ha! Three good-eared voters, three different winners! Anybody else? (The Japanese LP does have fewer dropouts that the Dell LP or the Collectors Series CD, FWIW.)

8. MLutthans

Re: From Here to Eternity

I've revised things slightly:
    Screen shot 2013-09-09 at 11.38.56 AM.png

Re: I Can Read Between the Lines

Apparently, there is only one choice that uses the correct, dry tapes, and that 's the 1991 Where Are You CD mastered by Larry Walsh, where this song appears as a bonus track. All other versions through the years have either used wet tapes or received the Norberg treatment. (There's a very interesting glitch on the Norberg version, by the way. Details are on the page linked below.)

Clips and details here: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1953_-_SinglesEtc3.html

MMM and rangerjohn like this.
  9. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Matt, Your various references to the expanded 12-inch LP versions of SONGS FOR YOUNG LOVERS and SWING EASY! should be 1962, not 1960. Capitol did not release those until after Sinatra left the label.

MLutthans likes this.
  10. rangerjohn

Thanks Matt. Did Walsh remix "Between the Lines" as he did the tracks from the WRU? album proper?

11. MLutthans

Nothing to remix in this case. Recorded straight to mono. He did apparently go back to the session tape (likely stored on a Capitol phonoreel), as opposed to using the Songs for Young Lovers production reel, etc.

rangerjohn likes this.
  12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

SONGS FOR YOUNG LOVERS reel is all first generation "A Takes". Anything else would be a dub, Matt.

13. MLutthans

No, I'm referring to the 1962 12" SONGS FOR YOUNG LOVERS (where this song first appeared to pad the album to 12" LP length), all of which had a nice gloss of added reverb and bad tone. Sorry for the confusion...

14. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, I had a brain cloud. That's not on H-488! So the "redub" has all the reverb and stuff, right? There is also a 12" version with SWING EASY on the other side, right?

So YOUNG LOVERS was issued in three different LP formats, right? 10", one side of 12" and "elongated" 12", correct?

15. MLutthans

Yes, Steve, that's all correct. The combined LP used the right tapes; the elongated was futzed and available in mono or Duophonic.

Remember kids: on that combined LP, side two is the older material (Songs for Young Lovers); side one is the newer stuff (Swing Easy).

16. Steve Hoffman

Matt,

Was it ever determined that the 12" side two (SONGS FOR YOUNG LOVERS) was cut with the same tape that was used for the 10" 1953 version or was it a redub tape? Can't remember.

I have both but the 12" sounds better. Could just be because it was cut later but still in the "golden era".

17. MLutthans

Interesting question. On my old (now yanked but soon to reappear, since it's the next Sinatra session following the one we are now discussing) Songs for Young Lovers page, there was a comparison clip between two D pressings that stevelucille submitted, played on the same turntable. One was a 10 D12, the other a D3 from the "combined" 12" LP. The 12" definitely had more treble and presence, but also a slightly different overall tonality. Hang tight and I'll get a clip up for you to hear.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  18. MLutthans

19. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

This is a very obscure recording, as it was not released as a single. On LP, in addition to the original release in 1962 on the futzed-with expanded reissue of SFYL, you can find it ONLY on the 1967 Pickwick LP, TRY A LITTLE TENDERNESS. If it were not for its inclusion as a bonus track on the WHERE ARE YOU? CDs, I doubt that almost anyone today would have heard the song.

BTW, the only other official CD release was in the 1998 UK 21-CD box set. While that is somewhat "wetter" than the Walsh remaster, it's not bad. At least, it is pure mono (unlike the Norberg version).

Just for kicks, I pulled out a non-legit CD I own which contains this track. It's titled HERE''S FRANK SINATRA on the Dutch label Disky from 2007. It lists the song title as "I Can Read Between the Line" (singular)! :D I bought this once upon a time at the urging of late forum member Sean Keane, and I listened to it but once. Truly awful: Norberg on steroids and brickwalled. Not to besmirch Sean's memory, but I don't know what he was thinking. Avoid at all costs.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
    MLutthans and rangerjohn like this.
  20. rangerjohn

Right! That's why, I assume, he did not remix the Stordahl bonus tracks on PONR, as well.

21. MLutthans

22. MLutthans

We've looked at twelve non-LP tracks so far, and three of them are available on "non-futzed" versions thanks to Larry Walsh's work 20+ years ago. :righton: Otherwise, we'd only have wet versions.

Bob F likes this.
  23. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Matt, something is messed up on the web page. On my iPad, there's an empty space below "Have a listen:", and nothing to click/tap on to hear the clip. On my PC laptop, the whole page comes up completely blank (after a long delay in loading).

EDIT: Now working on the PC, but that little MP3 player widget doesn't show on the iPad.

ADDED: It's not just you. You should mention that the "click" occurs at 2:03 into the track. It's on my Norberg disc.

24. MLutthans

I just meant "Is it just me" that thinks it's a mouse click sound on a PC. I'm confident that it's on every copy of the Norberg disc.

I'm working on the page issue; thanks.

MMM likes this.
  25. MLutthans

Just curious: What activity was keeping Frank out of the studio between early May and early November of 1953?