Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2013-2014 Season thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member Thread Starter

Season 39 of Saturday Night Live begins on September 28, 2013.

Fred Armisen, Bill Hader and Jason Sudeikis are not returning for this season. Seth Meyers will exit the show in late fall to host "Late Night" starting in February.

Five new cast members are expected to be added: John Milhiser, Noël Wells, Kyle Mooney, Beck Bennett and Michael Patrick O'Brien. Beck Bennet is the guy in those AT&T's "It's Not Complicated" kids commercials.

http://www.examiner.com/article/snl-cast-2013-meet-the-rumored-new-saturday-night-live-cast-members

2. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Well, this is certainly going to be an interesting season. The last I heard Sudeikis was staying to mentor the new cast but obviously not. Anyway, up to everyone else to rise to the occasion. Never count this show out.

3. 8tracks

8tracks Forum Addict

I'll keep watching via DVR, though I'd guess I'll be skipping more sketches.

For me the Bill Hader departure is the most significant since Phil Hartman left. Those guys were never less than fascinating to watch no matter how minor the character was.

4. I think a big cast change is usually good for SNL. The last time they started the season with a bunch of new people we got Will Ferrel, Cheri Oteri and Molly Shannon. Hopefully these people will revitalize the show.

5. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

The one thing I'm really looking forward to is a new home base set. It's been too long. A new theme arrangement wouldn't be bad, either.

6. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

Only interested in the Digital Shorts and I guess we'll have to wait a while for them since The Lonely Island only just released their third album.

7. Turnaround

The three guys who made up The Lonely Island left SNL one or two years ago (Jorma Taccone after 2010-2011 season, then Andy Samberg and Akiva Schaffer after 2011-2012 season). SNL did, however, feature a Lonely Island video as as a Digital Short this past season.

Among the new hires, bit players Kyle Mooney and Beck Bennett are being hired with Nick Rutherford and filmmaker Dave McCary -- the four of them are a sketch group called Good Neighbor and recently produced a pilot for Comedy Central. I think this group will take over producing Digital Shorts for the new season as a performer/writer/director team.

8. 8tracks

8tracks Forum Addict

I remember that season being pretty rocky after losing Adam Sandler, Chris Farley and Jay Mohr. (I didn't really care about losing Kevin Nealon and I never expected Chris Elliott and Michael McKean to have a long tenure.) I became big fans of the WF, CO and MS, but it took a little time.

9. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

That was YOLO, right?

Do they debut songs on SNL any more? The last one that I know debuted on SNL was 3-Way.

10. Turnaround

11. Yeah, Cheri Oteri knocked me out from the get go but it did take awhile for the others to get up to speed. But it was such a change of atmosphere from the season before when they were all jaded and the writing sucked and Sandler and Farley were anxious to get on with their movie careers and Elliot and Mohr just wanted to get the hell out of there. That first show was full of fresh blood and a lot of the cast were exuding that "hey, let's put on a show" newbie energy. I'm hoping that will happen again.

12. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

13. Turnaround

Bruce Willis's last time hosting SNL was in 1989 -- before Miley Cyrus was born!

Miley has a new album coming out. What are Tina Fey and Bruce Willis promoting with their appearances?

14. Sunset Sam

Sunset Sam Forum Resident

That's not a good thing, then. I didn't like ANY of those three on SNL.

15. Maybe Fey is just a safe choice for a season opener with lots of new faces. I'm going to guess Willis will be promoting a bad action movie where he utters a few lame catch phrases while lots of people shoot at him and things blow up.

16. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

"Mr. Sphincter"

17. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Looking forward to Vanessa Bayer 'twerking'.

agentalbert likes this.
  18. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

The Bruce Willis 1989 show also had one of the greatest SNL musical performances ever, Neil's "Rockin' in the Free World." Katy Perry has some big shoes to fill.

Agent57 likes this.
  19. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

The musical guests stink....is that what they call music these days???!!!

Oh...am I too early to complain about new music on here? :angel:

20. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

I'm looking for a time travel episode of "The Miley Cyrus Show" where young Miley asks present day Miley "WTF?!?"

21. I bet she does something "controversial" on live TV that will give her another couple of weeks of attention.

22. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

I bet the Miley episode will be a bore. When you have a guest who isn't funny it tends to bring down the whole show.

23. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

24. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

From Ben Stiller's old show, "DIE HARD 12: DIE HUNGRY":

kevywevy likes this.
  25. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

That's almost as funny as the third "Meet The Parents" movie and about half as funny as the second "Night At The Museum" film.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.