OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part2)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MilesSmiles, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Harv,

My pleasure :). When you buy a component like the 103 you never know if it there will be a new and improved version out a short while later. I waited for years to get a new plasma and finally took the plunge last year. I knew Panasonic was releasing the 60 series but jumped on the closeout pricing of the 60GT50. Well the 60ST60 was released a few months later and is supposed to be a better overall display for less money. I should have waited but I'm real happy with the 60GT50.

Bill

2. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

What do you mean?

3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

There was a waiting list when they were introduced. You had to respond to their invitation, or go to the back of the line. My application went through fast !

4. HiFi Guy 008

You're referring to last Oct or this Oct 10?

5. Myke

You quoted my post, what does it say ?

6. HiFi Guy 008

I see you said 2012. My mistake. Ok, put the bat away.

7. Myke

Look at post # 902...you quoted an entire date. Plus, I said when the 103 was introduced.

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Hi there. I'll take a shot at your questions below:

Q1. You may just want to experiment here some, why not just leave the HTPC setup as-is? The DLNA stuff can be tricky.

Q2. You could, but you might find media navigation easier if you just use the USB input on the 105.

Q3. Yes, this should work. You still need the AVR in order to process the sound, if I'm understanding your connections.

Q3a. If you're used to J.River, you'll probably be disappointed with how the 105 handles things. Experiment!

Q4? Not sure I understand your question about the audio outs? You can of course run the dedicated stereo outs to the Creek, and the the 7.1 outputs to your AVR.

9. RadioClash

RadioClash Senior Member

Thanks, was able to get SMB working and playing my dsf files, but the sorting is horrible. Seems to be no rhyme or reason to the way directories and the files contained within them are sorted. Can't even play a single album with the songs in the correct order. I have a very large library, so this is a real problem for me. Appears to be an Oppo bug, any workarounds for this?

10. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

http://wiki.oppodigital.com/index.p...not_sorted_when_accessed_by_the_BDP-103.2F105

11. Vocalpoint

Vocalpoint Forum Resident

Sam,

Thanks for the update. On the questions:

1. Yeah - the HTPC is definitely going to stay. But - apparently the 105 when marrying up to J.River via DLNA - works very well (from what I have read).
    2. I understand that there are issues with playback of multichannel files via USB...but - I also understand that USB DOES allows for gapless playback. Will have to experiment here.
    3. Yes - the AVR will handle the overall "volume" of any audio out to the speakers.
    3a - That's what I thought. And now with the use of JRemote for the iPad - J.River is definitely staying as the main delivery pipe for all files. I am very intrigued by the possibility of connecting the HTPC to the Oppo via HDMI. With the two HDMI outs from the Oppo - this could be just the ticket for our new projector system.
    4. Sorry - yes - I will use the dedicated analog stereo outs of the Oppo to the CD input of the Creek (for two channel) and the multichannel outs from the Oppo to the multichannel ins to the Elite.

Cheers,

VP

12. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

And the one after that and the one after that. Who knows. Oppo could start going cheaper on some stuff to try and hold down costs. It happens. The 103/105 seems to be just about as good as it gets and who knows, if there are inprovments they might not be for you and the price could go up but it's up to you to buy now and enjoy or wait for however long.

13. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Everything in my system is working fine, no more impulse buying only to store the old away in a closet. Awaiting on a malfunction before jumping.

Myke likes this.
  14. RadioClash

RadioClash Senior Member

Looks like we'll have to wait for a future firmware update to address this SMB sorting issue. Even with this wart, I prefer using SMB. The sound is much better than any of the other UPnP/DNLA servers that I have used before.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  15. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

That's a really good point. The market segment which Oppo is playing-in is really quite limited. Physical media is on its way out, and most people don't give a crap about good sound anyways. If people are already happy with their 95s and 105s (and other similar units), it might be difficult to entice enough of us to upgrade for upscale universal players to continue to have an appreciable market for much longer.

So you just never know when the end of the line might come... I know that about 10 years ago, SACDs and DVD-A titles were widely available. I didn't want to spend the money at the time, and decided to wait to purchase many titles which I wanted. But when I finally went back intending to buy them, they were all OOP! So I've paid WAY more to obtain many of these titles after the fact, then it would have cost me if I had purchased when I originally saw them.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  16. strat95

strat95 Senior Member

Perhaps they will introduce a stand alone DAC. Or a file based media player. Or they will improve disc playing units to be better file based media players. They probably have a long future ahead.

17. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I can still see the selection at out local Best Buys, waiting to be bought.
    And I held back for the same reasons you mentioned.
    If I could turn back time.......

18. Myke

Same here, I even bought Skynyrd's Now And Then, but brought it home to a standard DVD video player, hooked up to my 2 channel system. Of course I couldn't hear what the point was in the format, so I sold it, and never thought about it again until 2009, when my home theater was set up.

19. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

So what is the observed behavior of the newest firmware with respect to CUE files referencing multiple *.wav/*.flac files? I see a few posters such as Ozric and rjstauber seemed to be following CUE functionality rather closely. So does this functionality work? What about on gapless sources (opera/Dark Side Of The Moon/etc.) that have been ripped to multiple files?

20. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

I am sorry to say, but I have been very busy for the last few weeks and have not had a chance to try it out yet. Maybe in the next couple of days I will get a chance to update the firmware and try it out again and see if gapless playback from files will finally work from a cue sheet.

21. HAmmer

HAmmer Forum Resident

No it doesnt, i have a 2tb WD My Passport and there's still gaps in between files that overlap on the cd's

22. HiFi Guy 008

This is the only issue that's really keeping me from buying a 105.

But if you're streaming from iTunes, via the USB out from the computer, and iTunes plays gapless, wouldn't the Oppo play gapless?

23. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Are you referring to PS3/SACD rips? If so, I think there is a solution. I tested this with the SACD of "Rock of Ages"

STEP 1
    You need to create a edit master file with a cue sheet. Here are the instructions I got from Ted B

"Yes, the edit master creates a single file of the whole disc. if you have any of my bat files, simply edit them to be using -e as the only argument. Like:
    '@Echo Off
    FOR /F "tokens=*" %%k IN ('dir /b *.iso') DO "Programs/sacd_extract.exe" -e -i"%%k"
    Echo Extraction Completed
    Pause' "

STEP 2
    The master cue file that is generated needs to be edited into a very specific format for the Oppo. This from a post on the AVSForum.

"The BDP-105 expects indents to be 0, 2, or 4 spaces. 0 for the main body, 2 for the Track tag, and 4 for all tags within the Track tag. The BDP's parsing of the cue file chokes when it encounters the six-space indentation used by SACD_extract. Funny thing - if just one of your Tracks is indented by 6 spaces while the rest of your cue file follows the 0-2-4 rule, that track will appear without title in the BDP disk display, while the other tracks appear fine. Definitely, Oppo needs to fix this silly bug - it is an easy fix on their part. The rest of the cue file parsing seems to work: the BDP parses at all the tags you can throw at it including lead-in and ISRC, and it works with line feed or LF/CR at the end of the line.

This one is strange: there is something the BDP does not like in the header of the cue files generated by SACD_extract. But if you create a new text file and paste in the contents of the SACD_extract. cue file (assuming the above indent rule is followed), then it works.

The BDP-105 expects the filename of the cue file to be that of the audio file (yes - including the extension) with .cue appended. So your cue files should end with *.flac.cue, *.dff.cue, etc. Even if your FILE tag is correct in the cue file, the BDP will display a "cannot find associated file" message if the cue filename does not follow this convention."

Following these instructions to the letter got me a working cue file and gapless playback.

Edit - it looks as though you are not talking about ripped SACDs. Nevertheless, you might try joining all of the album tracks into a single file while ripping and creating a cue file in the format I described.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  24. HAmmer

HAmmer Forum Resident

I dont stream from my computor but just my quess is yes because itunes is the music player source , i'm sure other members can say for sure. Hifi eventually OppO will make gapless and cue in a update. , they are really good about those sort of things

25. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

I do not want a computer in the playback room.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.