"Give 'Em Enough Rope" by the Clash-why is it so unlovable?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jupiter8, Sep 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member Thread Starter

Having recently picked up the Clash remasters and getting into their music all over again, I find myself still unable to get into their second LP. Oddly, I heard it before I ever heard anything else by them (my college radio station had it-it was the band's first US release) and it leaves me as cold today as it did back then. When their first album was released afterwards I decided to give the band another chance and of course was in the rest of the way (although my enthusiasm waned during "Combat Rock"). Is it really the Sandy Pearlman production that sinks it? To my ears everything has a glossiness to it missing from all that came after (even the more polished/mixed "Combat Rock" sounds way rougher). Joe sounds clearer and less "phlegm-y"- is that why I don't like it? Joe not playing his telecaster? Am I totally missing something? Help!

Fullbug likes this.
  2. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Can't help. I like the album a lot. I think it's like a double album set with the first one.

levi and thedudeabidz like this.
  3. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

In my opinion one of the worst produced records ever . I don't know what Pearlman thought he was up to, or what he was on, but overcooked doesn't even come close to covering this mess. Too much everything, especially the guitars, sounds like The Clash go arena rock. Unfortunate because the songs are excellent.

Jack, Grant, waxtomcat and 1 other person like this.
  4. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Not everybody loves the production, but few Clash fans would argue with the number of timeless songs on that one. (as ralphb said just as I was posting!)

5. 3rd Uncle Bob

3rd Uncle Bob Forum Resident

3 terribly weak songs:

Drug-Stabbing Time
    Cheapskates
    Last Gang in Town

3 great songs:

Safe European Home
    Stay Free
    All the Young Punks

4 pretty good songs (in descending order):

Guns on the Roof
    Julie's Been Working for the Drug Squad
    Tommy Gun
    English Civil War

Rochdale3, Andrew, Jack and 2 others like this.
  6. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

My favorite Clash album. A buddy gave it to me for Christmas when I was in high school. I still pop the cd in the car for a two week blitz every three months or so. I love it and I think the production is just fine.

7. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

It's the production. Big arena type. I don't love it (the production) but you can count me among those who love the album enough to look beyond the heavy hand of Perlman and on to the great songs. A good half of the album is straight up classic grade A Clash.

jsayers, levi, Fullbug and 1 other person like this.
  8. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member Thread Starter

I like "Safe European Home" and "All the Young Punks"- "Clash City Rockers" did a better job ripping off the Who riff than "Guns on the Roof". "Stay Free" is ok but a bit hokey to me. "Julie..." sounds like something off of side 3 of "Sandinista!" and that's a compliment. Glad so read why so many here like it and why---I'll give it a few more tries before it gets cycled off my iPhone!

TonyCzar and PhilBiker like this.
  9. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

I don't think the production would sink it if it were a solid 10 tunes, but to me, Drug Stabbing, Cheapskate, Guns on the Roof, All the Young Punks, and English Civil War are all a bit dreary.

10. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

yeah, I love that album . . . no idea how any Clash fan could feel differently . . . every song is great.

11. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

The album is far from unloveable. I agree with the above, except that I'd change "terribly weak" to "average."

PhilBiker likes this.
  12. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Agreed, and if you saw the pre-London Calling Clash live, this album comes closest to how they sounded. Them guitars were turned up loud.

13. ralphb

As good as I think the songs on this album are, I remember being disappointed on my first listen because not a song on it comes close to the "Complete Control"/"Clash City Rockers"/"....Hammersmith Palais" run of singles that preceded it. My opinion.

hi_watt, Purple Jim, Andrew and 3 others like this.
  14. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

The production. Could have been sooooooooooooo much better.

15. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

It's Vic Reeves' favourite Clash album.

sonnyrock and rediffusion like this.
  16. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

Yes, well those tunes you mentioned are straight up classic Grade AAA Clash. I said Rope has a bunch of Grade A Clash. So you see, we are both impeccable in our Clash assessments. :cheers: :D

levi and ralphb like this.
  17. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

"Stay Free" is my favorite Clash song.

18. ralphb

:tiphat:

19. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

This is my least favorite Clash album...
    That said, it still gets a solid A-/B+ in my book. I don't think the Clash ever really made a "bad" album, but hey, something has to come in last place, right?

Don't love the production like many others said, but I do think there are some great songs here. The live versions REALLY smoke on some of these too...

My favorites:
    Tommy Gun (might be my favorite Clash single, depending on what day you ask me...)
    Safe European Home
    Stay Free
    All the Young Punks
    Julie's In The Drug Squad

JuanTCB and apple-richard like this.
  20. brianvargo

brianvargo Senior Member

To my mind, Give 'Em Enough Rope suffers only because the unmitigated triumphs that surround it - perfect albums released on either side of it, plus a clutch of brilliant non-LP singles - sort of force one to grade on a curve, if one feels compelled to grade it at all. When I put it on, I'm able to enjoy it for what it is - ten good-to-great songs performed with conviction by the best band walking the earth at the time. When I'm engaged in a conversation such as this, however, I can't discount that it is a comparative dip in the high road they were otherwise traveling on.

Nevertheless, we got just five studio albums (Cut the Crap notwithstanding) and a handful of singles from this remarkable group of talented men. I'll take 'em all, as is, and be grateful.

Brian

Teek, jsayers, jimod99 and 5 others like this.
  21. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Time has been kind to it, its certainly not "The Clash" or "London Calling" but it is one of the better sophomore albums from late 70's UK bands and solid.

Thinking of it these albums make a fascinating batch, "No More Heroes", "Love Bites", "Music For Pleasure", "Join Hands", "Dragnet" and whatever I forgot all have certain flaws but... hey... the Pistols never even MADE a second album...

blackg and PhilBiker like this.
  22. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Never liked it either. Safe European Home is great, but the rest does nothing for me. The songs simply aren't there, unlike those on the debut and on London Calling.

Scope J likes this.
  23. thedudeabidz

thedudeabidz Stepping sharply from the rank and file

I love that album. Even when the songs aren't strong, the attitude pulls it through.

Dodoz and levi like this.
  24. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

always disliked it , songs are poor in my opinion compared to what they did before and after and this godawful production
    Now , i must say that the remasters did shine a new positive light on this album , so i was pleasantly surprised with that , but still

25. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

At the time it was all "The Clash sell out!". Many were outraged that the band were pampering the the US FM market. It seemed like a cheap manouveur and very un-punk like. I wasn't all that bothered. I wanted the Clash to have a "bigger" sound than that of the 1st album but Pearlman overplayed it a little, giving the guitars a peculiar buzzy sound. A few songs are a little weak ("Last Gang In Town", "Guns On The Roof", "Cheakskates", "All The Young Punks") but I love the rest and enjoy a blast now and then. I also have a fondness for the album as I saw them live at Manchester Apollo at the time, with the big spread of world flags behind them and that matched the "ready to take on the world" attitude that they had then. They were the best band on the planet at the time after all.

sbardc and trem two like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.