Springsteen surprises Brazilian audience by opening with a Brazilian classic rock song!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Emilio, Sep 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emilio

Emilio Senior Member Thread Starter

I wasn't there in São Paulo (I live three states further south), but like all Brazilians, I'm honored that Bruce Springsteen took the trouble of learning this Brazilian classic from the 70's. "Sociedade Alternativa" (alternative society) is one of many timeless songs by the late Raul Seixas (he died in 1989).

somnar, IpseDixit and Fullbug like this.
  2. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

That's why he's known as the David Martin's House Party of Brazil

3. Emilio

Here is a much better video including the full song. The actual live performance starts at 00:18 (the snippet that is heard at the beginning is the original Raul Seixas version of the song):

4. Pigalle

Pigalle Forum Resident

Now on brucespringsteen.net along with videos of songs for Chile and Argentina.

Lilainjil and Emilio like this.
  5. liboriofriki

liboriofriki Forum Resident

Love hearing someone in the audience going "Toca Raul!"

6. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Great story ... that man really knows how to pump up a crowd. :cool:

7. Mychkine

Mychkine Forum Resident

Tà bom demais !!!

8. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

Springsteen is so badass. Even if you don't like his music, the man himself is top notch. Cool to see the band playing 2-3 hour sets w/ no setlist and adding all kinds of crazy songs into the mix. Much respect.

#OneOccupation and Mr Bass like this.
  9. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Count me as one of those who does not care for the music,but respects the man.:righton:

Monroro and #OneOccupation like this.
  10. Same here. Never owned a Springsteen album (probably never will), but I've also got total respect for the guy. Class act, one of the very best (clearly).

#OneOccupation likes this.
  11. Reader

Reader Senior Member

I DO like all of Springsteen's music and agree that he is special. He seems to have a lot of respect for local customs, ideas and people. He goes out of his way to do something a bit special but not in a showoff way. He does seem down to earth. If you ever get to see him live and don't , you made a mistake.

I hope he is able to produce great new music for many years.

gd0 and kevywevy like this.
  12. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

Love the horn section!!

bferr1 likes this.
  13. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Reminds me of The Stones' "Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)"

J_D__ likes this.
  14. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

great thing about Springsteen tours is that they rehearse over 125 songs and by the end of the tour have played every one of them plus scores more!!

gd0 likes this.
  15. Emilio

Thanks for the tip! As I suspected, he also rehearsed songs to play in other countries - in this case, Chile and Argentina. His rendition of the Victor Jara song in Chile is quite touching

16. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

That was great! It does show respect for his fans and the work of other artists.

17. Emilio

I had never noticed it, but there is some similarity. Probably the same chord sequence. Raul Seixas did borrow from some other songs, but here the similarity is not so striking as to qualify as plagiarism.

18. Aris

Aris Labor Omnia Vincit

De acordo, as minhas primeiras palavras em português neste fórum. Rock n' roll

19. Emilio

Raul Seixas caused quite a stir in Brazil in the 70's when he announced the creation of the "alternative society". He was a big John Lennon fan, so I see similarities with John's country "Nutopia". Now that Seixas' former partner and lyric writer Paulo Coelho has become a renowned writer and creator of legends (he has yet to demonstrate the "powers" he claims to have in his books), it's not difficult to imagine he played a major role in devising what was ultimately a great publicity stunt. But it worked.

20. Emilio

Here is the original video (from 1974 if I remember correctly):

popscene likes this.
  21. Emilio

And here is a live version from 1975 (poor but priceless footage):

22. poe_man

poe_man Senior Member

Agree! Saw a show of his on VH1 classic, and his introduction of the band alone was more badass than most bands entire show.

23. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

Last night's show at Rock in Rio was simulcast on YouTube, and he opened with this again. I didn't realize this until a few songs in, so I missed his performance.

24. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

The whole webcast is already out there....

25. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Rarely have I seen another performer put in so much effort to connect with fans in all the cities he plays in. Learning these songs for one-off performances is one of the little things that makes me proud to be a fan.

starduster likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.