Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #49)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Aug 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

"As someone once remarked to Schubert . . .":

[​IMG]

scompton and Mr Bass like this.
  2. drh

drh Talking Machine

For centuries, mystery has surrounded the cryptic Old English poem "Maiden in the Moor Lay."

Maiden in the moor lay,
    In the moor lay--
    Seven nights full, seven nights full.
    Maiden in the moor lay--
    Seven nights full and a day.

Scholars of early English literature have endlessly debated its symbolism and sought to answer the question, just why did the maiden lie in the moor? For what possible reason would she have chosen this vulnerable, uncomfortable location as a place to lie for a week's repose?

Now we know.

She was completely stoned.

Ahem.

If you want to know Schubert, his songs are at the heart of everything he did. He was always singing, even in his large-scale canvases like the Great C Major Sym. You can't go wrong with Ameling; other good "obvious" choices would be Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau and Gerard Souzay (whose customary accompanist was the same Dalton Baldwin featured in the disc pictured above). For an excellent overview of how the voice and the piano interact in songs at this level, try to chase down a copy of Gerald Moore's "The Unashamed Accompanist" on Angel/Seraphim.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
    Robin L, dale 88 and John S like this.
  3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have had this CD for many years. Elly Ameling was the top soprano in the 70's ...

4. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I still have [and play] this LP:

DownloadedFile.jpeg

5. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Excellent!!! Thank you!!! I can't imagine my Sicilian/Italian grandparents NOT having any Caruso in their house but sadly, they are long gone as are their records. No one who remembers my grandfather singing along to his I Pagliacci records can remember who was on the recording.

RiRiIII likes this.
  6. coopmv

I have most if not all of Elly Ameling's recordings between CD's and LP's. But I only have this recording on CD. For the Handel Messiah she recorded with Neville Marriner on Argo, I also have the recording on open-reels by Barclay-Crocker, which was quite reputable back in the late 70's through mid 80's. I still have 2 open-reel decks that can play the 4-track pre-recorded classical reels. Sonically, they are every bit as good as CD IMO ...

7. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I have that as too. Along with 22 disc box set of Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau.

8. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

All great new arrivals.....well, 2 came with me from Manhattan..:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Oh my, I have my hands full with 33 and 45 :tiphat:

10. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Now revisiting this old CD.

SBurke likes this.
  11. john greenwood

Spending Sunday morning with Stile Antico - "The Phoenix Rising"

12. coopmv

I have most of the recordings by Stile Antico but not this one ...

13. john greenwood

There is so little early music available on SACD. Stile Antico has just about the only true catalog.

14. coopmv

I have a few hundred titles in early music and most of them are redbook CD's or LP's. I am not that convinced early music can really benefit from having been recorded in the SACD format. To me, SACD format probably benefits music with elaborate instrumentation such as baroque and classical.

15. coopmv

Now playing Disc 1 from the following SACD set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

16. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

[​IMG]

Rasputin's had the same copy of this SACD for years, marked at $8.98. Finally got it yesterday. I suspect that I've heard more Schubert than most here, the Great C major Symphony is a favorite work going back to my teenage years. Somehow, this version never got into my collection. This is a fantastic account of the score. The brass playing is the best I've heard from a conventional orchestra—Roy Goodman's account with the Hanover Band on Nimbus has amazing and very colorful sounds from the brass as well. But the way the trumpets go full-out in the Munch/Boston account is something to marvel at. My only real issue is the lack of repeats. But as regards everything else, this is a first choice. The playing, the tempos, the tempos adjustments, the balances and above all the sound of this recording is incredible.

More proof that the Hoffman Forum's Classical Corner is this Forum's MVP.:pineapple::pineapple::pineapple::pineapple::pineapple:

17. john greenwood

I dunno - I think the human voice benefits from better sound as much as any other acoustic instrument. Also, these are discs I really would like to hear in surround someday.

18. coopmv

So is this the longest continuously running thread on the forum?

19. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

20. Music for a cool, grey Sunday morning.

The Philadelphia Orchestra / Eugene Ormandy, Conductor / Philippe Entremont, Piano - Greig (Piano Concerto) / Rachmaninoff (Rhapsody On A Theme Of Paganini)
    Columbia Masterworks ML 5282 - Canada - 1958 - MONO

[​IMG][​IMG]

-2K / -2A

21. coopmv

I heard that adding a center channel can add a bit more clarity and depth to the voice.

22. Leonard Bernstein and the New York Philharmonic / Philippe Entremont - Rachmaninoff Concerto No. 2
    Columbia Masterworks MS 6148 - Canada - 1960 - STEREO

[​IMG][​IMG]

-1A / -1AC

Robin L likes this.
  23. mkolesa

mkolesa Forum Resident

i'd add, she was also beyond comparing going into the 80's... i saw here give a recital around 1981 and she was at the height of her fame, and rightly so, as i recall...

24. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I am enjoying this 2-disc set of Sibelius on Australia's Eloquence label. The conductors are Eduard Van Beinum and Thomas Jensen with the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, London Philharmonic, and the Danish Radio Symphony. Only two of the pieces are in stereo.

Van Beinum, Eduard, Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Jensen, Thomas & Damen, Jan - Sibelius.jpg

25. No. There's an active continuous vinyl thread that's been running since March, 2006. It unfortunately is not allowed in Music Forum. It can observed in the Long And Winding Threads. The vinyl thread, for some reason, is considered a "dump and run" thread which is the case with most other topics in that section. But the vinyl thread is far from that. It has some very engaging discussion similar to what is seen in the Classical Music threads.

Listening to on Vinyl (Part 128)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.