New Shunyata Power Conditioner, Venom PS8

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LeeS, Jun 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

2. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Jim N. likes this.
  3. ctbarker32

ctbarker32 Forum Resident

Jim N. likes this.
  4. LeeS

I've tried a lot of power conditioners but the Shunyata was the one that made the most difference in my system. Just lets more music through.

Jvalvano and whaleyboy like this.
  5. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Are you serious? what will you connect to this.... power strip?

Jim N. likes this.
  6. shucky ducky

shucky ducky Forum Resident

Wow, you try to start a conversation about an interesting new piece of equipment, and just look at all pleasent responses you get in return!! Very nice.

Shunyata products are something I have no experience with, but I've been intrigued by their cryogenically treated power cables. This conditioner looks to be in the price point that would compete with PS Audio's Detect.

I've got the older PS Audio conditioner, which I'm now using on my guitar amplifier, and have found it to be a very impressive piece of equipment used for both stereo and home theater in the past.

7. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I spoke too quickly, seems like a nice unit, I have some of their power cords and respect the brand.

8. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

The shape/form factor looks perfect for my needs.

I have been wanting to try the Shunyata stuff out - thanks for the pointer.

LeeS likes this.
  9. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident

The Venom Defender looks very interesting. I am nervous about having my amp plugged directly into the wall but can't spend huge dollars on power conditioning. Right now, my preference is to take my chances and go directly to the wall rather than use a mediocre piece of equipment. I like the idea that the Defender doesn't need a power cord so it will definitely be something I look at very closely.

It seems to me that going with power conditioning and aftermarket cords could be a big drain on funds once you start down that road. Even if you get a Hydra 2 for $250, you probably would feel compelled to buy a good power cord as the next step and then you keep going....

10. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Has anyone bought or demo'd one of these yet? Reading the description from the musicdirect.com website makes it sound pretty interesting, however it's price tag is significantly higher than the PS Audio Dectet (which has 10 outlets and costs $495 ... compared to the Venom's 8 outlets and costs $695). The Dectet also has some conditioning whereas the Venom needs the additional Defender making the total cost around $890.

11. LeeS

Last October while in Denver, I toured PS Audio and saw Dectets being built. Very solid build quality. It's definitely an option but I've had PS Audio products and Shunyata and the latter seemed to work much better for my system.

beowulf likes this.
  12. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Hi Lee, thanks for the feedback, I've had the chance to hear some PS Audio products myself ... in particular the P5 Power Plant and thought it to be excellent in terms of build quality as well.

Could I hear a difference in sound? Maybe a subtle difference, however not $3495 dollars worth of a difference. Still, it makes sense that one would want to get the cleanest signal possible into our A/V gear coupled with the piece of mind that it is safe from voltage spikes as well. And either the Dectet or Venom/Defender bundles are pretty reasonably priced in comparison to their other offerings.

13. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Spoken like a true salesman.

subzro likes this.
  14. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

Why lord, why?

macster and Jim N. like this.
  15. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

Has anyone heard the Venom Defender yet?

16. LeeS

Spoken like a true annoyance.

17. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

I am curious as well and also curious to find out if anyone has tried the Venom Ps8 "strip".

The shape is perfect for my space constraints and I am trying to figure out how this setup (venom strip and cords plus defender dongle) differs with the hydra 4/6/8 power thingy.

18. LeeS

I have not seen any reviews in the audio press yet. I'd love to read a review from a member here.

whaleyboy likes this.
  19. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

I know nobody has been on this thread for awhile, but if anybody did by a Defender I'd love to know. I think I'm going to get one and pair it with a BPT power strip. Will post results when I can.

dale 88 likes this.
  20. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I have had one my stereo circuit for awhile. I won't really know what it is doing until I take it out and compare a bunch of the same recordings. But so far my ears tell me it is not doing anything wrong.

21. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

Thanks! I was having an 11th hour waffle.

22. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

It dosen't degrade the audio signal like almost all other power bars.

I've shocked a few friends by unplugging there power bars and plugging direct into the wall or a high quality conditioner . It's so rewarding to see peoples mouths agape .

LeeS likes this.
  23. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Just got the Cardas Clear power cable for my ARC Ref amp. Previously I used Shunyata cables on everything, never really heard any differences but I felt better. I think that the Cardas actually made a difference, the noise floor is even quieter. I may need to get a few more of them and test them on the preamp and phono stage

24. avbuff

avbuff Forum Resident

Hi tmsorosk,

Curious... Have you done this specifically with an Emotiva power strip, or are you making reference to the more common strips available at retail outlets such as Walmart or Best Buy?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.